Packaging ack for Ubuntu

elliot

Aug 7, 2007, 9:07:08 AM8/7/07
to ack dev/users
Hi!

Ack is a great tool, I started using it every day in my work. So, I
started working on packaging it for Ubuntu. You can see my latest work
here https://launchpad.net/ack. I have not put up a .deb yet as I am
still trying to sort out how to make it build in a pbuilder (run into
problems with the File::Next dependency).

Anyway, thanks for making the tool, and I thought you should know what
I'm up to. Objections, encouragement, derision, cajoling, etc.
welcome.

--
Elliot "statik" Murphy | http://launchpad.net/~statik/

Andy Lester

Aug 7, 2007, 10:49:40 AM8/7/07
to ack-...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 7, 2007, at 8:07 AM, elliot wrote:

> Ack is a great tool, I started using it every day in my work. So, I
> started working on packaging it for Ubuntu. You can see my latest work
> here https://launchpad.net/ack. I have not put up a .deb yet as I am
> still trying to sort out how to make it build in a pbuilder (run into
> problems with the File::Next dependency).

File::Next is mine, too, so let me know how I can help.

I'm glad you're working on packaging. But isn't there already a .deb
out there of ack which is something entirely unrelated?

xoxo,
Andy

--
Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Elliot Murphy

Aug 7, 2007, 11:09:29 AM8/7/07
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
On 08/07/2007 10:49 AM, Andy Lester wrote:
> File::Next is mine, too, so let me know how I can help.

Oh, cool. I guess you can tell I'm ignorant about perl. I think this
just means I create a package for File::Next first, and then the package
for ack can depend on it.

> I'm glad you're working on packaging. But isn't there already a .deb
> out there of ack which is something entirely unrelated?

There is indeed:
Package: ack
ACK is a highly versatile Kanji code converter. ACK can do reciprocal
conversion among Japanese EUC, Shift-JIS and 7bit JIS. JIS Kata-kana(SJIS
Han-kaku Kana) is also supported. Kanji code can be automatically detected
even if the input stream contains Kata-kana characters. Besides, ACK
can be
used as a Kanji code checker with very high detection rate.
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu...@lists.ubuntu.com
Origin: Ubuntu

This just means that the true and useful ack will have a package name
longer than three letters. I'd love to hear suggestions.

--
Elliot "statik" Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/

john_...@wordbank.com

Aug 7, 2007, 11:46:52 AM8/7/07
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
Elliot Murphy wrote:
> This just means that the true and useful ack will have a package name
> longer than three letters. I'd love to hear suggestions.

Maybe 'perl-ack'? 'apt-cache search' some existing precedents...

The logical (but daft) 'ack-thpppt' is probably not going to work ;-)

--
John O'Shea
Wordbank Limited

Andy Lester

Aug 7, 2007, 11:53:26 AM8/7/07
to ack-...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 7, 2007, at 10:46 AM, john_...@wordbank.com wrote:

>> This just means that the true and useful ack will have a package name
>> longer than three letters. I'd love to hear suggestions.
>
> Maybe 'perl-ack'? 'apt-cache search' some existing precedents...
>
> The logical (but daft) 'ack-thpppt' is probably not going to work ;-)

I very specifically would ask that Perl NOT be identified in the
package name. Part of my love of ack is its subversive nature. No
one needs to know what's under the covers.

jerry gay

Aug 7, 2007, 11:57:45 AM8/7/07
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
On 8/7/07, Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2007, at 10:46 AM, john_...@wordbank.com wrote:
>
> >> This just means that the true and useful ack will have a package name
> >> longer than three letters. I'd love to hear suggestions.
> >
> > Maybe 'perl-ack'? 'apt-cache search' some existing precedents...
> >
> > The logical (but daft) 'ack-thpppt' is probably not going to work ;-)
>
> I very specifically would ask that Perl NOT be identified in the
> package name. Part of my love of ack is its subversive nature. No
> one needs to know what's under the covers.

i suggest app-ack. this matches the cpan package App::Ack, so will
look similar to those familiar with that, but otherwise will let you
know it's an app named ack, or an app that acks, or something else
app- and ack- related.

~jerry

Andy Lester

Aug 7, 2007, 12:00:49 PM8/7/07
to ack-...@googlegroups.com

On Aug 7, 2007, at 10:57 AM, jerry gay wrote:

> i suggest app-ack. this matches the cpan package App::Ack, so will
> look similar to those familiar with that, but otherwise will let you
> know it's an app named ack, or an app that acks, or something else
> app- and ack- related.

Oh, I like that, too.

Whatever you come up with, please let me know so I can put a pointer
to it on the ack homepage.

Thanks,
xoxo,
Andy

Andy Lester

Mar 21, 2008, 12:25:47 PM3/21/08
to Danny, ack-...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 21, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Danny wrote:
> I was wondering if the debian package was ever completed/published? If
> so, where and if not, what happened!

I don't know. I never heard.

Bill Ricker

Mar 21, 2008, 12:48:30 PM3/21/08
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
There is a ack-grep in Debian Unstable and Testing.
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ack-grep
1.76-1
The DD Maintainer is Peter Makholm <pe...@makholm.net> . If Peter's
not on this mailing list, we should invite him.

If we need Ubuntu-niks to sponsor pulling it from Debian into Ubuntu,
I can suggest it to the Massachusetts UbuLoCo team -- our teamlead is
also a Perl-ish guy (DoctorMO). It would be a reasonable thing to do.

Bill

--
Bill
n1...@arrl.net bill....@gmail.com

Andy Lester

Mar 21, 2008, 12:59:01 PM3/21/08
to ack-...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 21, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> The DD Maintainer is Peter Makholm <pe...@makholm.net> . If Peter's
> not on this mailing list, we should invite him.
>
> If we need Ubuntu-niks to sponsor pulling it from Debian into Ubuntu,
> I can suggest it to the Massachusetts UbuLoCo team -- our teamlead is
> also a Perl-ish guy (DoctorMO). It would be a reasonable thing to do.

Make it so.

Shlomi Fish

Mar 21, 2008, 1:00:33 PM3/21/08
to ack-...@googlegroups.com, Bill Ricker
On Friday 21 March 2008, Bill Ricker wrote:
> There is a ack-grep in Debian Unstable and Testing.
> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/ack-grep
> 1.76-1
> The DD Maintainer is Peter Makholm <pe...@makholm.net> . If Peter's
> not on this mailing list, we should invite him.
>
> If we need Ubuntu-niks to sponsor pulling it from Debian into Ubuntu,
> I can suggest it to the Massachusetts UbuLoCo team -- our teamlead is
> also a Perl-ish guy (DoctorMO). It would be a reasonable thing to do.

It's already present in Ubuntu Hardy (which will become the next stable
release):

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/perl/ack-grep

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

> Bill
>
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> wrote:
> > On Mar 21, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Danny wrote:
> > > I was wondering if the debian package was ever completed/published? If
> > > so, where and if not, what happened!
> >
> > I don't know. I never heard.
> >

> > --
> > Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Shlomi Fish shl...@iglu.org.il
Homepage: http://www.shlomifish.org/

Bill Ricker

Mar 21, 2008, 1:04:46 PM3/21/08
to Shlomi Fish, ack-...@googlegroups.com, Martin Owens
> It's already present in Ubuntu Hardy (which will become the next stable
> release):
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/perl/ack-grep

D'oh, I didn't check there. Peter is there.

And since Hardy Heron is LTS, no need for backport.

--
Bill
n1...@arrl.net bill....@gmail.com

Andy Lester

Mar 21, 2008, 1:06:36 PM3/21/08
to ack-...@googlegroups.com, Shlomi Fish, Martin Owens

On Mar 21, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/perl/ack-grep
>
> D'oh, I didn't check there. Peter is there.
>
> And since Hardy Heron is LTS, no need for backport.

I don't know squat about this packaging stuff. Can one of you please
write something that I can slap on the ack homepage? Including a link?

Thanks,
xoxo,
Andy

Shlomi Fish

Mar 21, 2008, 2:09:33 PM3/21/08
to ack-...@googlegroups.com, Andy Lester, Martin Owens
On Friday 21 March 2008, Andy Lester wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Bill Ricker wrote:
> >> http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/perl/ack-grep
> >
> > D'oh, I didn't check there. Peter is there.
> >
> > And since Hardy Heron is LTS, no need for backport.
>
> I don't know squat about this packaging stuff. Can one of you please
> write something that I can slap on the ack homepage? Including a link?

Here's something about Mandriva:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Recent editions of the Mandriva Linux distribution (
http://www.mandriva.com/ ) contains the ack package in the "contrib"
repository. To install it, configure the contrib repository using
http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ (if you hadn't already) and type "urpmi ack" at
the command line.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

> Thanks,
> xoxo,
> Andy
>
> --
> Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Ori Avtalion

Mar 21, 2008, 3:00:25 PM3/21/08
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, "ack" is already taken by a Kanji code converter, so the
executable is installed as /usr/bin/ack-grep

Bill Ricker

Mar 23, 2008, 4:04:50 PM3/23/08
to ack-...@googlegroups.com
draft -

Debian, Ubuntu, and their derivative linuxes -
Ack stand-alone is available pre-built as 'ack-grep', for Debian
(Lenny: Testing) and Ubuntu (Hardy Heron 8.04, Beta) which will soon
be the Stable versions of their repective distros. For Ubuntu, you
need to enable the "universe" repository (in Synaptic or your sources
file). Use your standard add programs utikity, e.g. Synaptic gui
install or 'sudo apt-get install ack-grep'

--
Bill
n1...@arrl.net bill....@gmail.com