A leg up, please

Bill Bell

Jul 2, 2006, 1:17:24 PM7/2/06
to Yub...@googlegroups.com

I just learned of YubNub today! Fantastic, Jon! Did I understand correctly that you're a wet coaster?

Since I live in an area of southern Ontario with access to three public libraries and one university library I've looked again and again for ways of viewing their collections and of managine my borrowings. (I always seem to be paying fines.) Having some commands based on YubNub would be great for me.

Having spent an hour or two wandering over the 'net though, I finally decided to swallow my vanity and ask, could someone please point me towards the basics? Where does one place a YubNub script during development? Are there any blurbs that describe the process?

I'd also like to mention one other thing I like about YubNub and that is its cross-browser ability. Before I started using Firefox more or less exclusively I wrote a simple Internet Explorer extension (I forget how) that made it possible to right-click on a highlighted title in a page and then search on one of the local libraries. Can someone say, please, how to make Firefox drop a highlighted string in a page into the area where it could become a parameter to a YubNub command?

Thanks.

Bill

Jonathan Aquino

Jul 2, 2006, 6:35:29 PM7/2/06
to Yub...@googlegroups.com, Bill Bell
Hi Bill--I'm delighted that you find YubNub useful, or at least intriguing!

Actually all you need to do to make a YubNub command is give it a URL (e.g.
to a search engine)--just put %s where the user's keyword should be placed
in the URL. But if you want to make your own custom command, just make a
script and get it hosted on the net somewhere. Anything will work, as long
as it has a URL--that's the key.

In the past I've recommended Ning.com for free hosting of PHP scripts
(that's where I work).

--
Jon Aquino - Ning.com
http://jonathanaquino.com

magicjj

Jul 2, 2006, 10:15:27 PM7/2/06
to YubNub
As for the extension, check this out, I think it may solve your
problem.

http://yubnub.blogspot.com/2005/11/yubnub-bookmarklet-by-brian-armknecht.html

Jake
jjefferydesign.com/

magicjj

Jul 2, 2006, 10:16:12 PM7/2/06
to YubNub
I've also shown another friend of mine the inner workings of YubNub, he
loves it. He's already incorporated it into his address bar.

Jake

Brian

Jul 3, 2006, 10:53:54 AM7/3/06
to YubNub
Bill,

The FastYub extension for Firefox will lets you highlight text, hit
CTRL-SHIFT-K, then a command window opens up that lets you perform a
YubNub command on the highlighted text:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1807/

You can also set 10 favorite commands that can be accessed from the
context menu.

Brian

Bill Bell

Jul 3, 2006, 1:14:35 PM7/3/06
to Yub...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Jake. This is one excellent alternative. Although as I mentioned I had actually constructed them myself a I didn't know what "bookmarklets" are. Nice to learn that.

Bill

Bill Bell

Jul 3, 2006, 1:15:21 PM7/3/06
to Yub...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for this too. I've got it in my address bar as well. Just need to get accustomed to using it.

Bill

Bill Bell

Jul 3, 2006, 1:22:53 PM7/3/06
to Yub...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Brian. It works nicely. Another excellent option.

Can anyone point me to a place that shows how to write code for displaying context menus in Mozilla?

Many thanks to all who answered my posts!

Bill

elzr

Jul 4, 2006, 12:07:16 AM7/4/06
to YubNub
Brian: FastYub is amazing, just what I needed. (I wonder how come I'd
never heard of it.) Unfortunately, it conflicts with my sine qua non
Scrapbook extension (both use Ctrl+Shift+K) and it seems neither of
them allows one to configure the keyboard shortcut. Oh well, I'll see
what I can come up with, thanks for the pointer anyway!

Bill Bell: Welcome to Yubnub! As a proud member of the
YubNub-belongs-to-your-addressbar faction, ;), I'm most glad you added
it there. It does take some getting used to, but don't falter, it
repays. Here are some reasons to keep on:
http://groups.google.com/group/YubNub/browse_thread/thread/b1b2b1cd4afffc3c/464fa0a7d08383a2?q=address+bar&rnum=2#464fa0a7d08383a2

Welcome again!

Brian

Jul 4, 2006, 2:07:57 PM7/4/06
to YubNub
Hi Eliazar,

Here's the blog of the person who made FastYub:
http://systempuntoout.blogspot.com/2006/05/fastyub-17.html

He might be able to tell you how to change the shortcut key.

Brian