OSX Daylight Savings Thirdparty Patch

1 view

nahum

Sep 29, 2007, 1:15:26 AM9/29/07
to WellRailed
Apple seem to have not only dropped the ball on this, they weren't
even looking! So here goes a third party patch.

http://www.mactcp.org.nz/nzdt.html

Cheers,
Nahum.

Shane Mingins

Sep 29, 2007, 1:42:35 AM9/29/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
Have you installed it?

--
Shane Mingins

Nahum

Sep 29, 2007, 2:51:03 AM9/29/07
to WellRailed
Yep, and the hundred or so macs at weta are having this applied as I
type. I know the poor sod having to apply it. :-)

Nahum.

On Sep 29, 5:42 pm, "Shane Mingins" <shane.ming...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you installed it?

nahum

Sep 29, 2007, 6:35:20 PM9/29/07
to WellRailed
And looking at my clock it appears to have worked too.

Walter McGinnis

Sep 29, 2007, 6:47:12 PM9/29/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
Seems like one of those calculated trade-offs.  Piss off however many Mac users in NZ versus steal focus from finishing Leopard on time.

Or maybe it's not calculated, just a side-effect.  Getting a lot bigger due to success doesn't always lead to a smooth ride quality wise.

Cheers,
Walter

Tim Wright

Sep 29, 2007, 7:12:07 PM9/29/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
So, IANAMU (I am not a mac user), but I don't think it would take "many resources" to take the patch developed here and give it official sanction! (or at least, have an engineer go through it to ensure it's good - it is, as my understanding goes, just a modification to the local plain-text timezone file!)

Not even doing that shows that they they simply don't care.

Tim
--
Kei te kōrero tiki au. Kei te kōrero tiki koe. Ka kōrero tiki tāua. Kōrero ai tiki tāua.

Henry Maddocks

Sep 29, 2007, 7:44:45 PM9/29/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com

On 30/09/2007, at 11:12 AM, Tim Wright wrote:

> So, IANAMU (I am not a mac user), but I don't think it would take
> "many resources" to take the patch developed here and give it
> official sanction! (or at least, have an engineer go through it to
> ensure it's good - it is, as my understanding goes, just a
> modification to the local plain-text timezone file!)
>
> Not even doing that shows that they they simply don't care.

Apple's software engineering is a bit of a cluster f**k at the
moment. Maybe a combination of a lot of things, but the iPhone is
probably quite high on the list of reasons

As we all probably know, time is a bit tricky to get right on
computers and when you through in time zones it makes it even worse.
There are several places that time zones are handled in Mac OS X.
Some of then are a bit odd. Glenn's patch does a pretty good job but
today we have found that he may have missed a couple and a heap of
unrelated time zone bugs have come to light. They appear to have been
there for a while and are only obvious because everyone is paying a
bit more notice this year.

So getting a patch out of Apple wasn't going to be trivial, but they
have known about it for at least 6 months so that's no excuse.

Henry

Walter McGinnis

Sep 30, 2007, 3:11:09 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
Have a friend with a Windows Mobile phone whom has his time reset every time he syncs with his PC.  The timezone issue is even sticky with Debian:

I do like the late sunset though...

Cheers,
Walter

Walter McGinnis

Sep 30, 2007, 3:17:59 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
Even with a trivial fix, I imagine the QA (OS, plus all their apps) might be non-trivial and something they would rather bundle into another update.

Anyway, having a few small bugs and features just waiting on myself to get to them (and a paying client for them), I can cut other coders some slack.

Cheers,
Walter

Robin Benson

Sep 30, 2007, 3:31:11 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
What do you say that Apple is behind on it's update timetable as
Leopard and 10.4.11 cope with the change just fine?

Orion Edwards

Sep 30, 2007, 3:45:36 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com

Rubbish. It’s not like this is the first time any country has changed its DST rules.

They just pushed out a bajillion iSoftware updates last week and a bunch of firmware updates – if they can update the firmware on millions of macs around the world they can certainly create a patch for NZDST.

Plain and simple, apple suck this time. I hope it’s not an indicator of things to come.

Joe Mahoney

Sep 30, 2007, 6:10:49 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
On 10/1/07, Robin Benson <pohut...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you say that Apple is behind on it's update timetable as
> Leopard and 10.4.11 cope with the change just fine?

What is this 10.4.11 you speak of?

Henry Maddocks

Sep 30, 2007, 6:27:55 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com

The next OS point release that everyone is hanging out for,
especially if you have a MacBook Pro. It has been in seed for a while.

It has the timezone fix in it, amongst other things, but Apple
haven't released it yet.

Robin Benson

Sep 30, 2007, 6:29:28 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
10.4.10 > 10.4.11 > 10.5.

10.4.10 being current.

Michael Koziarski

Sep 30, 2007, 6:40:23 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
> Plain and simple, apple suck this time. I hope it's not an indicator of
> things to come.

Just as a bit of a blame-spreading session. Today I couldn't check my
P O Box, the security doors weren't DST safe. The till at my
coffee-dealer also printed out the wrong time on my receipt.

Seems like lots of people have dropped the ball on this...

--
Cheers

Koz

Joe Mahoney

Sep 30, 2007, 10:49:33 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
On 10/1/07, Michael Koziarski <kozi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems like lots of people have dropped the ball on this...

Google for one. Right now all the times in my gmail are out by an hour
and I don't seem to be able to change my timezone to +13 in google
calendar. Anyone else experiencing this?

Joe

Tomek Piątek

Sep 30, 2007, 11:15:49 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
In Google calendar go to Settings, tick "Display all time zones" and select "Tongatapu" from the menu.

-t

Joe Mahoney

Sep 30, 2007, 11:26:25 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
yeah, I meant change it for NZ. I shouldn't really have to do that
though. This hasn't happened in gmail before.

Joe

Robin Benson

Sep 30, 2007, 11:53:51 PM9/30/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
I think it is an indicator of things to come.

Maybe not explicitly in connection with DST (at least for a while)
but in other ways. I'd just like an option to have a built-in
International Dictionary with aluminium spelt correctly, but I'm not
holding my breath ...

NZ is a small market in the world. We can't expect everybody to get
it right for us all the time. That's the reality. I'm not suggesting
that the implications can't be quite far-reaching, but if we set
aside bruised egos (the product of perceived arrogance) then it's a
matter of recording the fact that this could have been handled better
and getting on. I am pretty disappointed - for example - that Apple's
representatives (you know who) in this part of the world have not
lobbied harder for this to be handled better - or are they just
ticket-clippers? Maybe they did? Does anybody know?

A client of mine called this whole thing Y2K7!

Robin

Shane Mingins

Oct 1, 2007, 5:30:54 PM10/1/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
That then changes all my appointments by an hour in the view ... so an
appointment for 8am gets set to 9am :-(

I guess we have to do more than LOTR to be considered significant ;-)

Joe Mahoney

Oct 1, 2007, 5:47:09 PM10/1/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
Today gmail/calendar seems to be working. Was it just me?

Joe

Shane Mingins

Oct 1, 2007, 6:30:27 PM10/1/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
Well I was getting sms reminders an hour later this morning

--
Shane Mingins

Walter McGinnis

Oct 2, 2007, 12:20:30 AM10/2/07
to WellR...@googlegroups.com
I applied the third party stuff and have a few kernal panics since.  Seems tied to specific behavior (ah, yes, spelling is relative and I revel in it!), but not sure what exactly.  So beware.

Course it could be the EyeTV update I installed last week, or the numerous Apple ones that have come out, too...

Cheers,
Walter

Henry Maddocks

Oct 2, 2007, 12:26:52 AM10/2/07