VNA: Earth-project

Wael Al Saad

Nov 11, 2008, 6:30:20 AM11/11/08
to Value-N...@googlegroups.com

is there any approaches to stalk a VNA map for our earth, our ecosystem?
Such a map may convince the international institutions to reform their linear closes Value-chain

Wael

PS: future currency systems http://www.targetedcurrencies.net/

Verna Allee

Nov 11, 2008, 9:31:20 PM11/11/08
to Value Networks
What a great question! In a matter of speaking we are trying to map
the entire earth in a couple of projects with GAN-Net (Global Action
Network Network). They are developing the competency to map global
action networks and the roles and relationships in complex global
systems such as finance. Rather than trying to reform the institutions
we are focused on the networks that are emerging to connect those
institutions and in some cases to simply work around them. There are
those who question if our institutions even can adequately address
complex issues such as climate change and other action networks are
emerging to take initiative. In other cases such as finance the
existing systems must necessarily be involved and at the same time a
new system is clearly emerging. VNA, along with mapping of topic
"clouds" and internet crawls to map institutional connections offers a
possibility to quickly identify some of the deep changes that are
happening.

Verna

On Nov 11, 3:30 am, "Wael Al Saad" <palestine...@googlemail.com>

ejhoffer

Nov 11, 2008, 10:40:43 PM11/11/08
to Value Networks
Would you consider this to be where VNA and System Dynamics intersect?

David Meggitt

Nov 12, 2008, 5:21:03 AM11/12/08
to Value Networks
Eric, you ask. "Would you consider this to be where VNA and System
Dynamics intersect?" A question of considerable significance in the
UK.

The short answer is "Yes, but don't bother!"

The UK Govt is flooded with large scale systems models and ways of
dealing with complexity. Unfortunately, according to a chief
scientific advisor, it is impossible to convey the results of analysis
from industrial (sorry) systems dynamics modelling to Ministers in
language they understand! Problem!

Additionally, if people took the trouble to look at the systems
modelling options that have emerged over the last 30 years and the
work of Jackson and Food in the UK tyhat appraises these, we can see
another flaw with systems dynamics (SD) in tackling whole earth
challenges. SD along with OR, organisational cybernetics (VSM) and
living systems theory is fine where there is unanimity of values and
interests. In the context posed here by Wael I suggest we should be
looking at pluralist/interpretive/soft systems approaches. VNA neatly
straddles both the former unitary / functionalist systems approaches
and the pluralist ones.

Which would be your best buy?!

Regards... David Meggitt
> > > PS: future currency systemshttp://www.targetedcurrencies.net/- Hide quoted text -

David Meggitt

Nov 12, 2008, 5:42:39 AM11/12/08
to Value Networks
PS: There is another problem context called COERCIVE. Those
participants defined as being in coercive relationships have few
interests in common and, if free to express them, would hold
conflicting values and beliefs. Compromise is not possible and so no
agreed objectives direct action. Decisions are taken on the basis of
who has most power and various forms of coercion employed to ensure
adherence to commands.

I have not used VNA in this situation as yet. There are alternatives,
suggested by Jackson (cit below): emancipatory for simple systems
contexts, and post modern systems thinking for complex systems.

David Meggitt

Wael Al Saad

Nov 12, 2008, 11:32:22 AM11/12/08
to Value-N...@googlegroups.com

Verna, sounds promising!

Are you moving toward digitalised modularity? In terms of digitalization I am thinking about "value based operation system as SW"

We see or feel the huge cloud of "global consciousness". With large scale mapping we may condensate it into "functional natural digitalised value-systems"

So if you are stalking systematic modularity on one Area of Focus and build the dynamic-links to other areas it is possible to pin down global human value ecosystem.

Roughly such a system could have 3 layers, actually it is a cycle.

1. Action and Application
2. Integration: process the dynamic in layer 3
3. Knowledge and know-how back-bone: "dynamic" common knowledge gained through modern science and experience  [hybrid multi-media wikipedia]

In fact I am looking for ideas: At oneaim.org we are developing an open source World-Social-Dialog-SW. Large groups dialog method, based on known methods; open space, peace cafe, etc. should be digitized, so that >1000 persons can hold a dialog-project.
We are discussing which format should the dialog out-comes have (new standards), so that these can be re-used or flow in "value-channels" to further develop "Large Scale picture" of our systematic integral interconnectivity (Global Brain). On our website we call it "Global Dialog Grid".

I see a good dialog as  an optimized conversation-value. Thats why there could be some ideas we can gain through existing modular digitalisation of VNA.
If you know specific research in relation to conversation-value optimization, would be great ..  Critical Thinking Community is giving some good answers.

Personally I hast as I said alternative (Daivd: may I substitute "pluralist/interpretive/soft" with "natural designed" ? )  systems will reform existing institutions.
We can transform the existing system by creating new value-
bridges that eventually replace old bridges, by adding new choices with integral complexity. To do it together we need unified self-dynamic-merged-standards/applications/interfaces/value-flow channels or bridges.
It would be a bottom up phenomenon - not a decision at the top. Such a phenomena would influence the whole system including the formal one. I think we can expect the power elite to be supportive of our efforts so long as we are not threatening their bridges - so long as we are adding complexity . . . the result a positive whole system dynamic.

Our challenge to do "our business" togather like the formal world is trying to do. But we still need to learn that.

Our motivations for understanding system function or integral solutions are drvien by "winners" mentality (Orange in iSD9). Once we have build the tools to establish high rate of global concensous,we will move further to global co-creation consciousness.

Other said, we have to do deal with pure technical problems and not with the ammount of fragmented knowledge and consciouenss spread around our planet. Additionally inside the hungry and people people there is huge resource and unused value to heal the planet.

It came to this because over the time the sum of side effects (consciouess intangible deliverables) of our digitilised world have overtaken our collective communication technical standards. So we could more than we are doing now if we have had the proper tools and instruments.

Wael

2008/11/12 Verna Allee <verna...@valuenetworks.com>

--
Salam

Wael
Email: palestine.nw -at- gmail.com
SKYPE: wael.alsaad
http://palestine1network.ning.com/
http://gbasetup.ning.com/

Khaled Islaih

Nov 18, 2008, 1:25:54 AM11/18/08
to Value-N...@googlegroups.com

Before going into this project, I think we need to map our individual, communal and global identities first, because our existing personalities gained through interactions within the closed systems  of the industrial era are irrelevant in today's post-colonial / post -industrail / post-modern world.

More precisely, we need to reconstruct new identities (as individual and groups)  to accommodate the accelerated shifts and changes in our human systems ( including language, mind, cultural, demographic, space systems). This focus will help us capture value exchanges and visualize networks within our cosmic system. Furthermore, this will help us communicate these ideas with others easily. I think the use complex language structures and complicated terms might make VNA discipline inaccessible to many groups including traditional policy makers and administrators.

As for international organizations, it is clear now that traditional / existing economic systems  are based on materialistic / unethical /colonial assumptions, therefore it is collapsing (read economics confronts economy)   . Many community leaders see those agencies as economic gangsters. Our focus and attention should concentrated on building alternative economic value and culture.

As part of earth mapping, there is a  need to reconstruct and broaden the definition economic value and culture (which was restricted to money only). We need to use new vehicles such as language, culture, history/experience, geography and demography to explore new economic spaces. I think now is a good time to accelerate the deconstruction of  our outdated economic culture and write new positive and inclusive global story.

Nevertheless, many of us (from all parts of the world) already started writing their chapters and contributions in this open story.

Khaled A. Islaih
Community Development Consultant
Innovation - Collaboration - Transformation
Email: in...@khaledislaih.com Web: www.khaledislaih.com
Blog:  Community Conversations
Social Web:  FACEBOOK and  LINKEDIN