瀏覽次數:4 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

32' SS - Ramlin'

未讀,
2008年4月2日 凌晨12:32:542008/4/2
收件者:UnifliteWorld
Hi All

I have a 1982 Uniflite - 32 ft. SS

I ordered the new air vent covers (Sea Cure Tech) and am getting them
trimmed up and sanded and painted. Will install soon. But my
question is...

Is the bottom edge of this air vent supposed to be sealed tightly to
the side?
This may be where some of my water into the engine room is coming
from. It happens when I wash down mostly. It is very hard to get to
the underside on the far side of the engines. So I would appreciate
some insights form those who have dealt with this previously.

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2683436810038739419GJEnEt]
[IMG]http://inlinethumb01.webshots.com/
33664/2683436810038739419S425x425Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Photo with the cover off.

Thanks Keith <"><

jkf...@att.net

未讀,
2008年4月2日 下午6:04:042008/4/2
收件者:Unifli...@googlegroups.com
Not sure about the mounting but before yoy install the vent covers think about filling them from behind with a resin of some type to try to toughen them up a little. I have eight of them on my boat or which six are cracked in some way or another. At the price they ask it would behoove on to strenghten them up a bit.
Jim Ferguson (503-543-8916)
"48 Yachfish"
Scappoose Oregon
-------------- Original message from "32' SS - Ramlin'" <ke...@web-coyote.com>: --------------

Den

未讀,
2008年4月3日 凌晨12:56:562008/4/3
收件者:UnifliteWorld
I decided to manufacture my own vents, Not anything like the plastic
originals.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k274/densnet/?action=view&current=EngineVentsP4.jpg

Before fareing in.

http://yachtbroker.escapeartist.com/boats/action/view/boat/686/index.html

Click on 3rd image down.

They had melted anyway. About 4 days worth of work for both sides.

More time was spent inside puting in a slope, and drains to keep the
engine room dry.

You can see the 3 drain ports along the bottom.

Den
www.densnet.com

jb914

未讀,
2008年4月3日 凌晨1:09:492008/4/3
收件者:UnifliteWorld
Did you order the splash guards? I'm not sure if that's the exact
name, but, Seacure has
them too. they go behind the vents and will direct the water splashed
back out.

Ross Robertson

未讀,
2008年4月3日 上午9:57:282008/4/3
收件者:unifli...@googlegroups.com
Good photos Den.

I have a 1980 38C with twin 6-71TIs 325shp ( just retrofitted/rebuilt with turbos/  intercoolers).  On my 'to do' list is to replace the air intake covers.   The originals are long gone, replaced by stainless ones which protrude well beyond the hull side and foul / are damaged by fenders.

Each side I have 3 air intakes each with 3 x 3" pipes to duct air in.    I have not yet tried to calculate  the total surface area of these pipes.   To switch to your design which looks very practical and strong, I assume you calculated the surface area of the slots relative to the internal pipe ( dont know what you have?) surface area..?  I ask only because the slots look neat, but small.

Cheers, Ross

> Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 21:56:56 -0700
> Subject: [UnifliteWorld] Re: air vents on sides. Possible leaks
> From: d...@densnet.com
> To: Unifli...@googlegroups.com

Den

未讀,
2008年4月3日 下午4:55:462008/4/3
收件者:UnifliteWorld

Ross Robertson:
I have twin JT 6-71TIs also. I did the math and did come out on the
small end, but since I installed a set of lifting steps for additional
engineroom access I figured there would be enough leakage to make up
for it. I feel I can always grind them bigger later. At the price of
diesel I do not envision me hanging at 2500 RPM too much! Actually I
have contacted an electric motor outfit regarding going hydrogen/
electric, but they blew me off. It would be really cool to leave the
dock quietly, then juice it up for Catalina.

Den
48YF

Ross Robertson

未讀,
2008年4月4日 凌晨4:03:412008/4/4
收件者:unifli...@googlegroups.com
Den, thanks for the reply.   I like your forward thinking!

About 2 years ago I got in touch with a coy that splits the power from one engine into port and starboard gearboxes, which then drive 1 shaft respectively for a twin prop set-up.  but at that time they could only handle a 500hp engine  I thought to take out the 2 old 6-71s and put back 1 650hp diesel... So I rebuilt the old JTs instead and made them TI

In any case I think I'll make similar vents to yours, they look good and work.   I'm coming out of the water to grind off the bottom in Oct and will do it then.
Have fun,  Ross

> Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:55:46 -0700

> Subject: [UnifliteWorld] Re: air vents on sides. Possible leaks
> From: d...@densnet.com
> To: Unifli...@googlegroups.com

Bohn, Steve

未讀,
2008年4月4日 上午10:51:592008/4/4
收件者:Unifli...@googlegroups.com
ross is that a prctical applicayion to drive two props on one engine???

Ross Robertson

未讀,
2008年4月5日 清晨6:15:592008/4/5
收件者:unifli...@googlegroups.com
I'll try and find the contact data for you.. I read it in PassageMaker and the firm existed then and I understood it worked..!   The main limitation was you could not vary the revs to each prop ..if I remember correctly.

Subject: [UnifliteWorld] Re: air vents on sides. Possible leaks tandem drive
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 10:51:59 -0400
From: sb...@nassaucountyny.gov
To: Unifli...@googlegroups.com