January 2010 Meeting Recap

Chris Merle

Jan 12, 2010, 2:45:25 PM1/12/10
to Tucson Python
Thanks to all of you who attended and all of you who gave a talk at the meeting Monday, January 11, 2010 at 1702. We had 8 attendees with 2 new faces and 1 who hadn't been in a while.

I mentioned dpaste.com for those who want to share snippets of Python code. (http://dpaste.com/) and ShowMeDo, a video tutorial website (http://showmedo.com/).

At Lucas' suggestion several group members gave lightning talks. We didn't quite follow the time limit of 5 minutes each rule, but it all worked out. 5 people gave a short talk: Chris N, Chris M, Scott, Lucas and Jude.

Chris N. gave his lightning talk about generating PDFs with Reportlab (http://reportlab.org)

Chris M. gave his talk about using S5, Docutils, and reST to create web based slideshows (http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/slide-shows.html)

Scott gave his talk on why he hates ORMs (Object Relational Mapper). Using a 3GL to map to a 4GL isn't a good idea.

Lucas gave his talk on Django syndication. Generating RSS feeds from Django. He used Photologue app as an example.

Jude gave his talk a project he was working on called iftd, a multi-transport protocol file transfer program.

For those who gave a talk last night if you have anything to add, please upload your presentation, provide links or just some notes.

After the presentations, Leslie mentioned something called pecha kucha which is also a short presentation format (http://www.pecha-kucha.org/).

4 TuPLE members (me, Lucas, Joe, and Richie) are planning to attend PyCon 2010 in Atlanta next month, so our March meeting will be a recap of what we learned at it. We don't have any talks scheduled yet for the February meeting, so if you'd like to give a talk, please let us know.

Our next meeting will be Monday, February 8, 2010, 630pm at 1702 (1702 E Speedway) in the meeting room. There is parking in the strip mall and the U of A lots to the west and across the street. After 5pm those U of A lots do not require a permit.

Thanks,
Chris

Que sera, sera—whatever will be, will be—but first I need more coffee.

Scott Schanel

Jan 12, 2010, 3:54:38 PM1/12/10
to Tucson Python Language Enthusiasts
Not-quite-resolved questions from last night:

No joins in Django
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/252976/full-outer-join-in-django

SQL Alchemy gets it wrong
http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/05/ormtutorial.html#building-a-relation

"Key/Value" data stores like Bigtable
I think that using something like this is useful if you are just
storing opaque data in the unstructured "cloud", which may be all your
application needs. You have to commit to not caring about data
integrity (because there is none) and not caring about being able
query for new and interesting information (because it's close to
impossible). To me, Key/Value appears to be a version of the EAV
schema: http://karwin.blogspot.com/2009/05/eav-fail.html

- Scott

P.S. A mapper I would consider using would probably look like this:
http://www.quicksort.co.uk/

Lucas

Jan 12, 2010, 10:41:13 PM1/12/10
to Tucson Python Language Enthusiasts
Also, after very little deliberation, Chris Niswander was nominated
for and accepted the position of Person Who Edits The python.org User
Group Wiki (http://wiki.python.org/moin/TucsonPythonUserGroup)

Chris will be keeping it up to date with meeting recaps and future
announcements. This is another helpful avenue to help people find out
about the group.

Thanks Chris!

Leslie Tom

Jan 14, 2010, 2:45:31 AM1/14/10
to tuple...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tucson TuPLE group.

Glad to have met everyone @1702 ... Just finished college ap #2.  Wish me luck as I finish up application #3 due Friday...  If I can play hookie from school, I'll do my 5min. presentation on my proposed thesis for the Feb. user's group meeting along with a refresher on Assembly Languages... or a talk on the fact that Email is Dead.

Thanks for all the presentations... and send me any starting out self-help python books.
Cheers,
Leslie

Chris Merle

Jan 14, 2010, 1:28:18 PM1/14/10
to tuple...@googlegroups.com
Leslie,

I started off using O'Reilly's Learning Python but switched to Core Python (http://corepython.com/) for learning the language. CP is a massive tome, but the 1st half of the book is devoted to the basics. It's one of the better books I've used for learning any programming language.

Chris
----
(sent via mobile)

ChollaPete

Jan 14, 2010, 5:57:45 PM1/14/10
to Tucson Python Language Enthusiasts
Hey, Leslie--

Good luck with the apps. I have a copy of O'Reilly _Learning Python_
that you're welcome to have. It's not in like-new condition, 'cause
I've read it through four times, now. It's yours if you want it. (I
live near 1702, which I believe you said is near your office, so I'm
sure we could work something out.)

Can't speak to Chris's experience :-) but I liked it. Liked it better
the third and fourth time, too. It starts at an elementary level of
Python, but isn't a "learning to program" book. I.e., he doesn't spend
tim explaining what loops are in general, but does explain Python
looping from basic principles. I found Python sufficiently different
from other programming languages that I appreciated the book's
starting from basic elements.

Let me know if you want.

Mark

chrisn

Jan 22, 2010, 5:14:02 PM1/22/10
to Tucson Python Language Enthusiasts

Notes for my talk on generating PDFs & ReportLab are up at
http://chrisniswander.com/presentations/