Idea to steal from a future Firefox

Xavier Verges

Oct 24, 2008, 5:16:46 AM10/24/08
to TiddlyWikiDev
I was watching a Google EngEDU talk by Aza Raskin, when a new idea
about implementing vertical tabs could be brilliant for tiddlywikis
Watching one minute is about enough to grab the concept

link to minute 29
http://splicd.com/EuELwq2ThJE/1751/3887

the whole "Don't make me click" talk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuELwq2ThJE

-Xavier

FND

Oct 26, 2008, 6:29:18 AM10/26/08
to Tiddly...@googlegroups.com
> I was watching a Google EngEDU talk by Aza Raskin, when a new idea
> about implementing vertical tabs could be brilliant for tiddlywikis

I really like this!
We're already using the "everything on one long page" paradigm - so we'd
just need a vertical bar on the side representing open tiddlers.
I imagine that shouldn't be hard to do - the biggest problem might be to
get that scrolling indicator right (displaying which tiddler's currently
in view).
Anyone feel like creating a quick proof-of-concept plugin?

-- F.

PhilHawksworth

Oct 29, 2008, 9:34:39 AM10/29/08
to TiddlyWikiDev
I couldn't resist cobbling together a quick proof of concept to
explore this.
I have been a little bit naughty though. I've made my proof of concept
using jQuery (for fun, education and expediency). I put it together as
part of the prototype of JigglyWiki (the experiment to reproduce TW
functionality with jQuery).

You can see it at:

http://jigglywiki.com/examples/pagemap.0.1.html
(http://is.gd/56Qd)

and take a look at the code in subversion at:

http://svn.tiddlywiki.org/Trunk/contributors/PhilHawksworth/experimental/jigglywiki/proto/js/pagemap.js
(http://is.gd/56Qj)

Since this versions uses position:fixed to place the 'pagemap' bar on
the right next to the scrollbar, you'll need a browser that supports
the position:fixed css property. (Firefox or Safari will be fine).

This is a pretty easy thing to implement. I just measure the height of
each tiddler in the story and then expressed that as a percentage of
the height of the story. div elements were then added to the pagemap
bar with their heights the same percentage height of the pagemap
bar.Add some event handling to refresh and resize the pagemap bar when
appropriate and Bob's your uncle.

Would be easy enough to implement as a TiddlyWiki plugin, I think.

Cheers,
Phil