Saving problem when using 2byte directory name in Local folder

Jota_Shimazaki

Dec 5, 2005, 4:36:39 AM12/5/05
to TiddlyWiki
I noticed a problem when saving TiddlyWiki within a folder/directory in
WindowsXP with the name of Japanese (=2 byte code). I could not save
the file at first, but when I moved the file to new folder/directory
which only has 1 byte letter name, it saves fine.

Is there anyone who is experiencing the same kind of problem in 2 byte
code environment? I searched this group's past messages, but could not
find the fix to this. If there is already any solution to this, could
anyone give me the suggestion where to look at?

Because I just began to use TiddlyWiki from several days ago, and I may
be missing some important tips. In that case, please forgive me for my
ignorance.

Jota Shimazaki
Kanagawa, Japan

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 5, 2005, 5:59:32 AM12/5/05
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Are you using IE or Firefox? Whichever one you are using, could you
try the other instead?

Cheers

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jer...@osmosoft.com

jota.sh...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2005, 9:59:32 AM12/7/05
to TiddlyWiki
I was using FireFox 1.5, and had saving problem when saving in the
Japanese name folder. Tonight, I tested IE6.0, and it can save the
TiddlyWiki file without problem, in Japanese name folder. I tested
FireFox again, but the same problem happened.

Anyway, I am using English name folder now.

jota.sh...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2005, 10:17:14 AM12/7/05
to TiddlyWiki
The reason why I wanted to use FireFox rather than IE is, that in IE, I
had a problem with entering text into the text box. At the right side
of the box, insertion point goes behind of th e menu, and it is
difficult to type the sentences. I posted the screenshot jpeg at below
URL.
http://shimazaki-jota.hp.infoseek.co.jp/TiddlyWiki_IE_problem.JPG
In FireFox, I do not experience this problem.

By the way, if I should make another topic for this problem, I will do
so.

Jota Shimazaki
Kanagawa Japan

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 7, 2005, 2:07:22 PM12/7/05
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
That's cool, Jota, thanks. I'll have a look at it,

Cheers

Jeremy

Paul Petterson

Dec 8, 2005, 11:24:20 AM12/8/05
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
That is a known IE bug, with a known fix... pretty simple too - it involves using a fieldset.  I'm pretty sure the details were thrown around TWDev alias a bit.

Paul

jota.sh...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2005, 3:40:50 PM12/8/05
to TiddlyWiki
Paul,
Thank you very much. I will search TWDev for IE problem.

Jota Shimazaki

Paul Petterson

Dec 8, 2005, 3:51:15 PM12/8/05
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
My comments were directed towards Jeremy since the solution requires hacking tiddlywiki itself... In the 2.0 timeframe I think maybe an editing template could be made that would fix this outside of core TW changes, but I'm not really sure...

Someone though has posted the changes to make necessary to get TW to work nicely on IE.  An you can definately make those changes yourself if you're comfortable with digging the the guts of TW itself..

Paul

Jeremy Ruston

Dec 9, 2005, 5:36:54 AM12/9/05
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I've put the IE textarea fix into the next beta. I've still not had a
chance to look at the original 2-byte character directory name
problem, though.

Cheers

Jeremy.

jota.sh...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2005, 1:26:55 AM12/10/05
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy, please let me show you some screen shot jpeg files.

I used the Japanese 2-byte code names to two folders, as in below URL.
http://shimazaki-jota.hp.infoseek.co.jp/TW_error_00.JPG

Then, I opened the file, which can be opened and saved without problem
by Firefox in 1-byte code name folder. I used "save changes", and then
below error message pops up.
http://shimazaki-jota.hp.infoseek.co.jp/TW_error_01.JPG

I clicked on the OK button, and then below error message pops up next.
http://shimazaki-jota.hp.infoseek.co.jp/TW_error_02.JPG
Although I am using Firefox1.5, this message is a little bit strange.

I clicked on the OK button again, and then the main screen shows the
strange message at the top of my TiddlyWiki. "The tiddler "save
changes" does not exist.".
http://shimazaki-jota.hp.infoseek.co.jp/TW_error_03.JPG

If you need to know anything else, or you want me to test any other
case, please let me know.

Jota Shimazaki
Japan

Paul Petterson

Dec 10, 2005, 11:18:46 AM12/10/05
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
The save changes tiddler not existing isn't really a problem - it's just a quirk of getting the empty.html file.  It's just a tiddler that tells you how to save changes.  You can read it on the tiddlywiki.com if you're curious.

I don't have any 2 byte characters laying around and don't really know how to make them - so could you reply on this thread with a couple of words or something I could use in a directory name to try this one out?

Thanks,
Paul

Jota_Shimazaki

Dec 11, 2005, 3:07:12 AM12/11/05
to TiddlyWiki
Paul, thank you for your information about "save changes". I will check
the information in the site.

Regarding the 2-byte words, below is the word I used to test for the
Japanese name folder.

新しいフォルダ

If you need more sample, please let me know.

Jota Shimazaki