Tiddly Backpack

Ian

Aug 18, 2008, 5:39:49 AM8/18/08
to TiddlyWiki
I though you might be interested in this TiddlyWiki derivative called
Tiddly Backpack.

I build it to keep track of the notes I create releated to programming
on a daily basis. It's based on 37signals backpack, i.e. it's page
based and you can drag and drop sections around the screen.

http://www.tiddlybackpack.com

HeX

Aug 18, 2008, 7:41:08 AM8/18/08
to TiddlyWiki
It looks nice but not very helpful if I want to include it in my own
TiddlyWiki. Any chance to convert this into a plugin for a standard
TW? You probably would need to publish the actual code for that
purpose I guess (the current seems to be scrambled on purpose (?!)).

/HeX

Ian

Aug 19, 2008, 4:09:28 AM8/19/08
to TiddlyWiki
I've never written a plugin for tiddly wiki, I'll take a look.

FND

Aug 19, 2008, 4:26:28 AM8/19/08
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
> I've never written a plugin for tiddly wiki, I'll take a look.

Let us know if you need any help (preferably on the developers list).
Also, this might be of interest:
http://www.tiddlywiki.org/wiki/Plugin_specs#Template

-- F.

Jeremy Ruston

Aug 19, 2008, 5:27:10 AM8/19/08
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Wow, Ian, that's really interesting. The backpack UI is neat, and it
looks like a cool little wikification library that you're using. Is
the code open source? I'd be interested to see an unobfuscated
version, if you plan on publishing it?

Best wishes

jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jer...@osmosoft.com

Amzg

Aug 19, 2008, 11:43:35 AM8/19/08
to TiddlyWiki
Yes - BEAUTIFUL!

I particularly like the concept of a page with (if I understand it
correctly) certain devoted tiddlers. It's kind of taking the best from
both one-page-mode and the general show-everything. I think it makes
very much *intuitive* sense to see a page ("a paper") and treat the
tiddlers as paragraphs on that page.

Also very clean move-around feature!

Some small observations:
if I create a Note1 on Page1, i can't quite reach it from any other
page. If I create a Page2 and therein try to create Note1 - it seems a
new Note1 is created. I was kind of hoping the old Note1 should
reappear there due to the identical name... or do I misunderstand
something? How is a user intended to get Note1 (from Page1) into
Page2?

Is there any search feature? ("...I know I wrote something about
topicX, but I don't know on which page...")

I agree with the preious comments here; would love to see it a s a
plugin to TW or if you could just make the code available (so the
community here can both benefit from, and provide benefit to, you)

:-)

/Mat

Fred Zelders

Sep 2, 2008, 5:14:46 AM9/2/08
to TiddlyWiki
Tiddlybackpack does not remember notes I make.

TiddlyWiki runs without problems on my system. I'm running Mac OS X /
Safari
FireFox: Same problem

Ian

Sep 2, 2008, 6:56:14 AM9/2/08
to TiddlyWiki
Jeremy "looks like a cool little wikification library that you're
using. Is
the code open source?"

It's an open source library available here http://goessner.net/articles/wiky/

The unobfuscated code for TiddlyBackpack is available <a href="http://
www.tiddlybackpack.com/js-note.js">here</a>, all the other libraries
referenced are part of Jquery. i.e. Jquery 1.2.6, the livequery plugin
and UI core and sortable for the drag and drop functionality.

Amzg "How is a user intended to get Note1 (from Page1) into Page2?"

You can't, tiddly backpack stores by the page, not by the note.

Amzg "Is there any search feature?"

I'd like to add one time permitting, I'd also like to add Todo's.

Fred "Tiddlybackpack does not remember notes I make"

It doesn't seem to work on Linux either, I may need to take a new look
at the code for tiddlywiki and see if I can get the note save
functionality working across platforms.

Fred Zelders

Sep 2, 2008, 9:14:09 AM9/2/08
to TiddlyWiki
On Sep 2, 12:56 pm, Ian <ian.pur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fred "Tiddlybackpack does not remember notes I make"
>
> It doesn't seem to work on Linux either, I may need to take a new look
> at the code for tiddlywiki and see if I can get the note save
> functionality working across platforms.

That would be grrrreat Ian.

Amzg

Sep 30, 2008, 11:24:34 AM9/30/08
to TiddlyWiki
On Sep 2, 12:56 pm, Ian <ian.pur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeremy "looks like a cool little wikification library that you're
> using. Is the code open source?"
>
> It's an open source library available herehttp://goessner.net/articles/wiky/
>
> The unobfuscated code forTiddlyBackpackis available <a href="http://www.tiddlybackpack.com/js-note.js">here</a>, all the other libraries
> referenced are part of Jquery. i.e. Jquery 1.2.6, the livequery plugin
> and UI core and sortable for the drag and drop functionality.

Anyone, is there any way to integrate this into a regular TW ... for a
mere mortal like me?
It didn't work to just copy-paste (surprise, surprise).

It is just just a BEAUTIFUL application.

Thanks (and again thanks to Ian for providing this all) !

/Mat

cflow

Jun 4, 2013, 2:26:01 AM6/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWiki
Hi Ian,

It seems the http://www.tiddlybackpack.com links to a site in Japanese...

I assume this is not the intent :|

I would love to look at the project if its available anywhere for download?
Message has been deleted

Cyrill

Jun 4, 2013, 3:23:01 AM6/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWiki
second this...

Mat

Jun 4, 2013, 2:46:30 PM6/4/13

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:26:01 AM UTC+2, cflow wrote:

I would love to look at the project if its available anywhere for download?

Via special trickery:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120902194622/http://tiddlybackpack.com/?

step back in time there to sept 2, 2012

<:-)

cflow

Jun 4, 2013, 7:11:18 PM6/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWiki
Thanks Mat! You sir, are a wizard! No flux capacitor needed :)

cflow

Jun 4, 2013, 7:30:23 PM6/4/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWiki
I might be missing something, but the resulting document does not work as the author intended I think. Possible technology has moved too far along since creation date?

I can create an record, add note or terminal note to the record, drag the items into a different order.
I can't add to sidebar, add items to the home page. On refresh the file re-establishes as base line. No save possible?
Tried in IE8 and Chrome :(

Not worried though.
  1. The functionality of "Add to Sidebar" I already have by making the Main Navigation derive from a tiddler tag.
  2. The formatting for "terminal" seems like something I can duplicate for specific task types in my TeamTasks set-up.

/* Terminal styling
----------------------------------------------- */
pre.terminal {
color: #63FF00;
background: #000;
font: normal 12px "bitstream vera sans mono", monaco "lucida console", "courier new", courier, serif;
margin: 0.9em 0; padding: 8px;
overflow: auto;
}

Mat

Jun 5, 2013, 2:08:48 PM6/5/13
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, TiddlyWiki
I assume you've tried to contact the creator (Ian) by clicking "Reply to author". But, in case he did not have his pesonal email address registered for google groups, I think I can provide it for you - I'm the one who originally asked the creator to come here and present his creation, after having (again) used some trickery to find his email, and I just now found our old correspondence in my mailbox.
I.e if you want what I think is still a valid email to him, please contact me privately and refer to this thread.

<:-)

Michael te Wierik

Jun 5, 2013, 8:00:12 PM6/5/13
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Mat. I am tracking down all the TW builds out there in the wild as there are some really good concepts. I think the drag & drop is a creative bit of programming in that particular one, but for my purposes I think seeing it is enough, which is why I tracked down this thread.

You have been very helpful, but dragging Ian back into the conversation at this point would be wasting his time as I don't have a specific problem to solve.

Speaking of which, this forum has been great for seeing the new kinds of ideas out there. It's really helped me evolve my knowledge of how to work with TW and make my version of TeamTasks simpler/better to work with.