Google Chrome

Dave Parker

Sep 1, 2008, 4:17:37 PM9/1/08
to TiddlyWiki
Anyone heard of this?

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/01/162224&from=rss

Does this mean TW will speed up?

DP

pal...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2008, 4:31:00 PM9/2/08
to TiddlyWiki
Just tried Chrome with both local and online TW's. Absolutely
lightning fast and looks great, but one slight flaw - it doesn't
support saving yet.

That is, if you try to save a TW the normal way, you just get an error
message.

Pity. It is lightweight and fast enough it would be useful as a
dedicated editor/viewer, even sticking with FireFox for general
browsing.

Dave Gifford - http://www.giffmex.org/

Sep 2, 2008, 6:53:02 PM9/2/08
to TiddlyWiki
I opened the following project I am working on in Chrome.

1. The header gets shoved to the right of the topmenu.
2. When you close a slider menu in the left submenus, the extra space
from the bottom of the open slider stays there instead of collapsing.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to open a local file with chrome. I
downloaded a copy of the above to my desktop, then tried to open it
with a right click but Chrome doesn't appear in the list of available
programs and the Open With dialogue box doesn't give me access to the
Appdata folder.

Dave

Paul Schofield

Sep 2, 2008, 7:01:58 PM9/2/08
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
To open a local file, just drag/drop it into the Chrome window. Only way I found so far.

Dave Parker

Sep 2, 2008, 7:10:39 PM9/2/08
to TiddlyWiki
You can also make chrome your default browser and then just double
click the file

On Sep 2, 5:01 pm, "Paul Schofield" <pal....@gmail.com> wrote:
> To open a local file, just drag/drop it into the Chrome window. Only way I
> found so far.
>
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:53 PM, Dave Gifford -http://www.giffmex.org/<

Anthony Muscio

Sep 2, 2008, 9:30:04 PM9/2/08
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I have just started experimenting with this, has lots of promise.

Yet I am having proxy problems.

FYI:Prism at http://labs.mozilla.com/?s=prism&x=0&y=0

Is similar and lets you create url based application icons.

TonyM

roger

Sep 3, 2008, 12:20:27 AM9/3/08
to TiddlyWiki
Thought I'd give Chrome a whirl with my TW. Quickly discovered that
LaunchApplicationPlugin apparently doesn't work, at least I can't open
a Windows Explorer window at the click of a button in some of my
tiddlers as I can with Firefox. Also, ShowLocalDirectory isn't
working. I never could get LaunchApplicationPlugin to work using
Mozilla's prism either. Chrome may be a bit too paired down... and
definitely isn't of any value to me for my use of TW at this time.

~ Roger

Morris Gray

Sep 3, 2008, 12:21:35 AM9/3/08
to TiddlyWiki
It is blindingly fast, like Opera in the early days. It hasn't broken
any of my TWs yet... although I think it has a problem with forms.
Unlike FF 3 and IE 7 it runs all of the embedded media on my
experimental TW. It runs alright through my local proxy Proxomitron.

Couldn't save but was able to upload and download TiddlySpot.

Each Tab is supposed to be sandboxed. It doesn't seem to want to run
things like Eric's ShowLocalDirectoryScript and
LaunchApplicationPlugin. It does allow file chooser although it
breaks the form a bit but you can still load a local file a few
different ways http://twhelp.tiddlyspot.com/#NavigationWithTW Just as
well since I can't seem to find a way to have Chrome do it.

All in all it looks encouraging. Far better than their lame attempt
at taking on Wikipedia with their Knol http://knol.google.com/k#

Morris Gray
http://twhelp.tiddlyspot.com
A TiddlyWiki help file for beginners

On Sep 3, 11:30 am, "Anthony Muscio" <anthony.mus...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just started experimenting with this, has lots of promise.
>
> Yet I am having proxy problems.
>
> FYI:Prism athttp://labs.mozilla.com/?s=prism&x=0&y=0

Lyall

Sep 3, 2008, 1:45:36 AM9/3/08
to TiddlyWiki
LaunchApplicationPlugin is 'hard coded' for IE and Firefox - I am not
surprised that it does not work in chrome, particularly with the new
'security'.

Since I develop under gentoo linux (and only boot to windows to let my
kids play games) and chrome is not out for linux yet, don't expect an
update soon.

Still, I am excited about this and eagerly await the linux version.

...Lyall

Jason Cunliffe

Sep 3, 2008, 2:34:47 AM9/3/08
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I just tried it with my main TW on USB stick. Yes nice and fast.
Is there ANY way currently to save changes using TW locally through
GoogleChrome ??
thanks
Jason

Morris Gray

Sep 3, 2008, 5:54:18 AM9/3/08
to TiddlyWiki
Just found out how to open local files: Ctrl+O

More at http://sidesnips.tiddlyspot.com/#GoogleChromeTips

On Sep 3, 2:21 pm, Morris Gray <msg...@symbex.net.au> wrote:
> It is blindingly fast, like Opera in the early days. It hasn't broken
> any of my TWs yet... although I think it has a problem with forms.
> Unlike FF 3 and IE 7 it runs all of the embedded media on my
> experimental TW. It runs alright through my local proxy Proxomitron.
>
> Couldn't save but was able to upload and download TiddlySpot.
>
> Each Tab is supposed to be sandboxed. It doesn't seem to want to run
> things like Eric's ShowLocalDirectoryScript and
> LaunchApplicationPlugin. It does allow file chooser although it
> breaks the form a bit but you can still load a local file a few
> different wayshttp://twhelp.tiddlyspot.com/#NavigationWithTW Just as
> well since I can't seem to find a way to have Chrome do it.
>
> All in all it looks encouraging. Far better than their lame attempt
> at taking on Wikipedia with their Knolhttp://knol.google.com/k#
>
> Morris Grayhttp://twhelp.tiddlyspot.com

PJO

Sep 3, 2008, 6:17:21 AM9/3/08
to TiddlyWiki
It's FAST (except for Control-T to open a new tab--for me, I think
because of the time spent making miniature images) and VERY elegant,
but knowing that you'll never lose every session through a crash and
that it's secure is terrific. I had a false alarm about a trojan
password sniffer on my main Vista PC the other day which gave me a
sick feeling in my stomach.

Secure against various kinds of malware that is. For a person able to
walk up to an unattended PC it may not be very secure at all:

Customize
Minor Tweaks
Show Saved Passwords
<select>
Show Password

I'm keen to see it on Linux and to get some of my favourite plugins
plugged in (delicious, readitlater, adblock etc.). For now you can
just drag delicious and stumbleupon bookmarklets to the browser
bookmarks bar.

It's going to to be fascinating to see how browser shares track in the
next year. BBC Radio 4's tech correspondent this morning predicted
that inertia would prevail.

So I've only encountered two problems: not being able to save
Tiddlywikis and in the WordPress dashboard page I got the embedded
traffic graph turned into another browser window at one point.

The video of the introduction of Chrome (on YouTube) at Google HQ is
worth watching. It's long at 52 mins but there are chunks where you
can listen to it in the background but do look at the demo of V8's
performance. One neat little tip in the video: note how when you close
consecutive tabs the X button falls under the mouse as long as the
mouse is still over the tab (move it away and it resizes). Overall,
they've made very effective use of YouTube in the launch of this
product and in embedding links to tutorial clips.

I love being able to drag a tab off to a 2nd screen. Anyone who has
ever found a half-answered email at the end of the day might find that
handy :-)

Are we really going to have to keep Firefox to save Tiddlywikis?!

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 3, 2008, 8:29:34 AM9/3/08
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I've also been experimenting with Chrome (in a Vista VM on my Mac). It
does support Java applets, but it seems you need the latest version of
the Java runtime (from http://download.java.net/jdk6/). Better still,
TiddlyWiki identifies the browser as Safari, and so does attempt to
load the TiddlySaver applet. I've now got the applet to load (which
can be verified using the DOM inspector that Chrome inherits from
WebKit). Even though the applet is loading correctly, saving doesn't
work. I'm trying to track the problem down, but remain hopeful that we
can get the thing working properly.

Cheers

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Ruston
mailto:jer...@osmosoft.com

FND

Sep 3, 2008, 8:53:38 AM9/3/08
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com

Kashgarinn

Sep 4, 2008, 6:04:18 AM9/4/08
to TiddlyWiki
I'm looking forward to being able to save TW in chrome, it's one of 2
things I need before I can use chrmoe as my default browser, the other
thing being an adblocker.

btw, regarding the EULA thing http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-license-agreement/
- nothing to worry about.
> (http://tapthehive.com/discuss/This_Post_Not_Made_In_Chrome_Google_s_E...)
>
> -- F.

RunningUtes

Sep 4, 2008, 6:06:04 PM9/4/08
to TiddlyWiki
I just installed Privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org) and the adblock
works flawlessly. I would suggest that you look at the following link
(http://www.fritscher.ch/blog/2008/09/03/google-chrome-adblock-with-
privoxy/) for further information. I do hope that TW can be modified
to use chrome. I have been impressed with the speed of it's use.
~Michael

On Sep 4, 5:04 am, Kashgarinn <steint...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking forward to being able to save TW in chrome, it's one of 2
> things I need before I can use chrmoe as my default browser, the other
> thing being an adblocker.
>
> btw, regarding the EULA thinghttp://www.mattcutts.com/blog/google-chrome-license-agreement/

Jeremy Ruston

Sep 8, 2008, 7:55:44 AM9/8/08
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
It seems that the problem I found with JavaScript code not being able
to interact with Java applets has been encountered by other people,
too:

There's no confirmation from the Chromium team about the issue yet,
but it might make sense to vote for it in the meantime. (Vote by
clicking the start to the left of the issue title. You'll get notified
of any subsequent changes to the issue).

Cheers

Jeremy