TW on PPC - Opera works!

DaleHohm

Apr 13, 2006, 1:13:38 AM4/13/06
to TiddlyWiki
Head on over to:
http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/winmobileppc/

To my surprise in initial tests TW Iooks to be fully functional. The
default sidebar layout does not lend itself to the small form factor,
but other than that it looks good.

This is a beta and there is no mention of cost, but all of the other
Opera versions are now free and I expect this to be as well.

Dale

ccahua

Apr 13, 2006, 2:29:01 AM4/13/06
to TiddlyWiki
Woohoo! Dale
Before I crack open the piggy bank and throw away a few ben franklins
over on ebay, can you confirm that TW autosaves onto the handheld? Also
what version of WM are you running?

Graci for the good news! This would be stellar and further spread the
glow of Tiddlywiki to the untapped mobile masses. It would be neato to
see TW running on a Treo 700

Best,
tony

Jules

Apr 13, 2006, 2:53:38 AM4/13/06
to TiddlyWiki
This would indeed be good news. Even if you could only display, it
would still be good news!

But - if it can save as well it will unbelievably good.

I see a need for a stylesheet switcher!!

--
Jules
www.knightnet.org.uk

Saq Imtiaz

Apr 13, 2006, 3:00:53 AM4/13/06
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
We already have stylesheet switchers I believe, but customized stylesheets for different devices would be nice.

Actually, what would be terrific is a stylesheet switcher that detects the user agent and switches the stylesheet automatically.
I'll borrow a pda later today and give it a whirl.

Saq

DaleHohm

Apr 13, 2006, 12:16:26 PM4/13/06
to TiddlyWiki
I must admit that I have not done enough test to actually state "Opera
works!".

What I should really say on this subject is that I have tested in the
past with Pocket Internet Explorer and it makes no attempt to render
that page, MiniMo (Mozilla beta) attempts but has obvious trouble and
is painfully slow.

I did some brief testing with Opera Mobile Beta 1 on a Windows Mobile 5
PPC and was stunned to see the page of a 2.0.7 TW get rendered very
very well. I just downloaded the beta 2 of Opera Mobile and opened
www.tiddlywiki.com (TW 2.0.8) and the results are similar.

That said, I did very little testing (e.g. I never saved the file) and
I actually no longer have the need to get this working as I once did
and don't have the motivation to take this further. I urge others to
get this free download and give it a try and take the campatability
testing further.

Dale

ccahua

Apr 13, 2006, 4:03:23 PM4/13/06
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for trying anyway. At least there is some good rendering.
The only way I can see my TW with wikified content on my Palm is to
first convert the TW into a PDF then view it.
Alas, someday...

Best,
tony

Jules

Apr 13, 2006, 5:47:51 PM4/13/06
to TiddlyWiki
I've just tried out the latest beta of 8.5 for PPC on my PocketLoox 720
and it does work in read-only mode quite well though it is certainly
slow.

It does NOT however save - this was expected as Opera save requires
full Java.

It would be useable with an appropriate stylesheet and I expect I'll
knock one up when I get time.

Scott Elcomb

Apr 14, 2006, 10:22:44 AM4/14/06
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On 4/13/06, DaleHohm <Dale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Head on over to:
> http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/winmobileppc/
>
> To my surprise in initial tests TW Iooks to be fully functional. The
> default sidebar layout does not lend itself to the small form factor,
> but other than that it looks good.

Awesome. =)

For the benefit of those who haven't used Opera before, you can see
what TW's will look like in Opera Mini by pressing Shift-F11. SRS
(Small Screen Rendering) support is supposed to be identical between
Opera versions IIRC, but as suggested elsewhere on this thread
JavaScript may not.

When I get my new cellphones (specifically for testing Opera Mini
apps) I'd be happy to run some tests and report them back to the
community. Can anyone provide a checklist of specific items to pay
attention to?

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com

"A revolution is coming - a revolution which will be
peaceful if we are wise enough; compassionate if we care
enough; successful if we are fortunate enough - but a
revolution which is coming whether we will it or not. We
can affect its character, we cannot alter its inevitability."

- John F. Kennedy

dannystaple

Apr 18, 2006, 6:16:49 AM4/18/06
to TiddlyWiki
"Opera save requires
full Java. " - That should probably be "full Javascript". Remember that
Java and Javascript are very far from being even remotely the same
thing.

I have got Tiddly mostly working now in minimo on my Pocket PC (2003 I
think). However, when I try to save, it always complains that the path
has illegal characters - I thought at first this was because it was on
the storage card, which has the path "\Storage Card\gtd_tiddlywiki.htm"
and it didn't like the space. Having moved it to the root directory of
the device I still get the error. It has already initially requested
permission to save, and I granted that.

In minimo, while its fine for displaying the tiddlers, when you edit
them, the edit boxes are blank. Also my on screen keyboard has gotten
seriously annoying and pops up right over them. I spent a bit of time
editing the tiddlywiki on my desktop, and have been paring down the
stylesheet- and want to try to make the "appearing" menu static, as
their is no way to "hover" with a stylus (as was discussed in this
group a while ago).

So if you can get the same from opera currently, then it is not yet
worth an investment on my part, and I may just spend a bit more time
getting it to autosave and edit properly in minimo.

Note that at present, the minimo menu itself does not have a "save as"
item yet. Also noted (by accident) that hitting the search button with
no results is a sure way to get the device to lock up for a couple of
minutes - so I may take a look at adding the simple search logic of not
performing a search if there is no term, or maybe a term with less than
threshold characters is met with a warning that it may take some time.

Danny