Webrunner

Xavier Vergés

Aug 6, 2007, 3:25:31 AM8/6/07
to TiddlyWiki
This is in the GTD-TiddlyWiki list, but it is of interest for all
TiddlyWiki users:
http://groups.google.com/group/GTD-TiddlyWiki/browse_frm/thread/c7a877fbd76a4363
http://tinyurl.com/2secb3

> In short "WebRunner" is an application (Windows, Mac & Linux) which
> turns "web applications" (like GMail, Google Calendar, Basecamp etc.)
> into a standalone application, with a seperate process each, by the
> use of an XUL browser. For those not interested in any tech details:
> it makes the app faster, in general by cutting out all the unnecessary
> stuff like bookmarks, panels, extensions, plug ins etc.

And works fine and fast with TiddlyWikis, getting you a Distraction-
Free Browser, so you can work with tiddlywikis without getting
abducted by google groups :-)

-Xavier

Xavier Vergés

Sep 22, 2007, 5:11:19 PM9/22/07
to TiddlyWiki
http://s3.amazonaws.com/xdexavier/multirunner.xul
will let you have multiple tabs inside webrunner
(or inside a single Firefox tab, if you think it coudl be of any use)

I like very much having the ability to close Firefox and keep my TWs
opened (specially when Firefox goes nuts or has swallowed huge amounts
of RAM).

Warning: Webrunner is not friendly when you close it with unsaved
changes, so
you better only use it with TW that have autosave enabled.

-Xv

On Aug 6, 9:25 am, Xavier Vergés <xver...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is in the GTD-TiddlyWiki list, but it is of interest for all

> TiddlyWiki users:http://groups.google.com/group/GTD-TiddlyWiki/browse_frm/thread/c7a87...http://tinyurl.com/2secb3

schilke

Sep 23, 2007, 4:19:02 PM9/23/07
to TiddlyWiki
> Warning: Webrunner is not friendly when you close it with unsaved
> changes, so
> you better only use it with TW that have autosave enabled.

reminds me of another warning: Webrunner is very similar to Firefox
(XUL browser...) - but: it should be used with trusted sites, only,
and: secure https:// should be used whenever possible ;)

--
schilke

stuckagain

Oct 4, 2007, 6:03:36 AM10/4/07
to TiddlyWiki
I am trying webrunner out - only problem so far, is no option to print
tiddlers. Any suggestions as to how I could build this into TW so I
can still print when using webrunner?

On Sep 23, 9:19 pm, schilke <googlegroups.tt.ch...@xoxy.net> wrote:
> > Warning:Webrunneris not friendly when you close it with unsaved

> > changes, so
> > you better only use it with TW that have autosave enabled.
>

> reminds me of another warning:Webrunneris very similar to Firefox

Xavier Vergés

Oct 4, 2007, 6:46:04 AM10/4/07
to TiddlyWiki
Just in case...

There is a shinny new webrunner 0.7 I haven't got a clue if it makes
printing support better. I'm still on 0.5 (and sticking to the wise
old "if it works, don't change it")

And no, I'm not able to print from webrunner 0.5, but I really don't
miss it much.

-Xv

FND

Oct 4, 2007, 7:56:13 AM10/4/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
> And works fine and fast with TiddlyWikis

I just gave this a try (at last), and having some CSS issues:
http://webrunnerlayout.tiddlyspot.com
For some reason, the search box does not appear on the header's right
margin (as it does both in Firefox and IE), but rather to the right of
the SiteTitle.

Schilke tells me that it looks fine in WebRunner v0.5; I'm using v0.7.
Apparently, both versions use the same Gecko engine (1.8.1.0 / 1.9.0.*).

Adding the following CSS code to my StyleSheet reveals that the
headerForeground element doesn't extend all the way to the right:
.headerForeground {
border: 2px solid red;
}
.headerShadow {
border: 2px solid yellow;
}
However, I have no idea *why* that is...

Anyone got an idea?

-- F.

Mark Finkle

Oct 4, 2007, 9:24:51 AM10/4/07
to TiddlyWiki
WebRunner 0.7 uses the Gecko rendering engine that will ship with
Firefox 3. If possible, try using Firefox3 alpha 8 to see if the
rendering is still different.

Download from here:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/3.0a8/releasenotes/

Mark Finkle

Oct 4, 2007, 9:28:06 AM10/4/07
to TiddlyWiki
There is a "Print" command on the command menu (dropdown menu in the
right side of statusbar)

Also, with WebRunner 0.7 you can add scripts to a webapp. In your
case, adding a script that fires a TW prompt-to-save function on
window unload event might be a nice feature.

Thanks for giving WebRunner a try

FND

Oct 4, 2007, 9:50:18 AM10/4/07
to Tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the quick response there, Mark!

> WebRunner 0.7 uses the Gecko rendering engine that will ship with
> Firefox 3. If possible, try using Firefox3 alpha 8 to see if the
> rendering is still different.

Yep, it is indeed broken in Firefox 3 - that's quite disturbing...

For the record: I didn't use the Alpha 8 but the latest nightly build*
because those are available as ZIPs (I hate installers... ).

-- F.

*
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/2007-10-04-05-trunk/

stuckagain

Oct 4, 2007, 5:25:45 PM10/4/07
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks Mark. I must say the print command is really well hidden!

On Oct 4, 2:28 pm, Mark Finkle <mark.fin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a "Print" command on the command menu (dropdown menu in the
> right side of statusbar)
>

> Also, withWebRunner0.7 you can add scripts to a webapp. In your

> case, adding a script that fires a TW prompt-to-save function on
> window unload event might be a nice feature.
>

> Thanks for givingWebRunnera try

> On Oct 4, 6:03 am, stuckagain <webmas...@thrale.com> wrote:
>

> > I am tryingwebrunnerout - only problem so far, is no option to print

stuckagain

Oct 5, 2007, 8:50:26 AM10/5/07
to TiddlyWiki
I have just worked out that the fabulously useful firefox as-you-type
spellchecker plugin doesn't work in webrunner. is there a way of
getting plugin this plugin to work in webrunner (an ideally using the
same user added words dictionary as firefox)?

Thanks