Papa's Opti 800Li

Richard Papa

Aug 10, 2008, 10:57:29 AM8/10/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Just some pics for now.

I hate the TAGS so will fit the original wheels soon. Then a full report
will follow,

Rich

DSC02228.JPG
DSC02229.JPG
DSC02232.JPG
DSC02233.JPG
DSC02234.JPG
DSC02235.JPG

Jerome Daoust

Aug 10, 2008, 2:11:47 PM8/10/08
to TidalForce Forum
Why do you hate the TAGs, the look, the added 1.5 lb?

Nice color midnight express color scheme.
Did you get the crank custom gold-anodized?

Didn't your bike come with a side stand?

For you next set of pictures, please add a hot babe.

Jerome

Richard Papa

Aug 10, 2008, 2:19:48 PM8/10/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
They make the ride hard and I did not like them on fast off-road trails.
The wheel seemed to move (IMO) in an uncontrolled manor. I ride hard and
tested the first Opti. And I can assure all the regular stock 800Li wheels
feel far superior in terms of performance. So I will get a set next week.
But for slow reliability I suppose they will suit some. I prefer hard
trails fast. Jamie Johnson is one crazy fellow...

The TAGS look the business though, real Art.

The rest of the bike is mint...Real Art too...

Reports soon,

Rich

David

Aug 10, 2008, 3:05:56 PM8/10/08
to TidalForce Forum
The gold MBB is the new motor that I talked about in my test ride,
10-15% more efficient...

-David
> > Rich- Hide quoted text -

Nimbuzz

Aug 10, 2008, 7:20:12 PM8/10/08
to TidalForce Forum
Uncle Richard -- Before you dump the TAGs -- Are you sure they have
the best tires? And, did you try adjusting the tire pressure? When
going off-road that's the first thing to do on any tire = reduce it a
bit at least. Also when comparing the TAGs to the stock wheels the
type of tire and pressure can change everything and if different make
it hard to compare.

Rock on OptiPapa

deerfencer1

Aug 10, 2008, 7:53:10 PM8/10/08
to TidalForce Forum
At the risk of sounding like a broken record since I've been saying
this from day one about these wheels, the TAGS are composite DOWNHILL
wheels, folks (go look at the website), so IMO far from a good spec on
a combo street/trail cruiser like the Opti. I'm guessing they are
about as stiff as they come ride-wise, and I wasn't surprised by
Rich's reaction.

Jamie appears to like his but as we know J is not your normal rider.
I'd caution anyone considering these wheels to ride them first before
ordering. Next to your frame and suspension, wheels are the most
important component of your bike IMO. Test thoroughly and choose
wisely. (And, oh yeah, I can't resist--don't reinvent the wheel <g>.)

LH

deerfencer1

Aug 10, 2008, 8:12:09 PM8/10/08
to TidalForce Forum
BTW, congrats on the beautiful bike, Rich! Many happy miles. I love
the Opti in gloss black, and with that gold BB and crankset you're
seriously pimpin'!

Larry
> DSC02228.JPG
> 809KViewDownload
>
> DSC02229.JPG
> 769KViewDownload
>
> DSC02232.JPG
> 781KViewDownload
>
> DSC02233.JPG
> 814KViewDownload
>
> DSC02234.JPG
> 737KViewDownload
>
> DSC02235.JPG
> 763KViewDownload

Keith Felch

Aug 10, 2008, 8:30:41 PM8/10/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
I'd just like to reiterate that I think that any of the Mavics that the
Opti's are spec'd with will provide good performance. I have a pair of
DeeMax's and a Crossride rear.
I think Rich is all smoke and no fire with these pic teasers and no ride
reports. I will now hipmotize him into giving us a ride report:
Rich, you're getting sleepy.......sleepy. Now repeat after me: when I see
the words "warm beer" I must ride.......must write and give my chums a ride
report.....now when I snap my fingers you will feel perfectly normal and
refreshed.

Keith Felch

Aug 10, 2008, 8:31:28 PM8/10/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
WARM BEER!

Aug 10, 2008, 9:10:25 PM8/10/08
to TidalForce Forum
LOL!

Be careful what you wish for, Keith--last time Papa mixed warm beer
and e-bikes, a mate took Rich's SeX machine for a joyride and crashed
it! Here's hoping it was a sobering experience for our Papasan. (I
suggest Rich let his mate play Frisbee with his TAGS if he must put
his grubby mitts on the new Opti <g>.)

LH

Bike_on

Aug 12, 2008, 2:22:30 PM8/12/08
to TidalForce Forum
Rich,

I assume you have the OB1 and the 850W motor? Or, is your gold MBB a
new 800Li motor?

Dan

Richard Papa

Aug 12, 2008, 2:24:51 PM8/12/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
New 800Li motor. All our bikes have them,

Rich

Aug 12, 2008, 2:31:20 PM8/12/08
to TidalForce Forum
I thought all the 2008 800Li models were suppose to have the oil-
filled, efficiency improved motor over last years 600T. Is yours a
second generation 800W motor?

DR
> Dan- Hide quoted text -

Richard Papa

Aug 12, 2008, 2:41:26 PM8/12/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Maybe third? But now all will be Gold,

Rich

Aug 12, 2008, 2:53:40 PM8/12/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have the oil cooled 3rd gen motors, they have developed them a bit
since....

You will have to check with Opti what motors they offer. I assume they are
the same though,

Rich

Aug 12, 2008, 3:24:46 PM8/12/08
to TidalForce Forum
Congratulations on the new Optibike Sir Richard!

WARM BEER - had some for lunch <wink to Kieth>, seriously.

Beautiful day here.

Best,
Joe

Bike_on

Aug 27, 2008, 1:24:28 PM8/27/08
to TidalForce Forum
Rich,

Do you have any feedback about your Optibike riding?

Have your wheels turned out ok??

Dan

On Aug 12, 3:24 pm, Geo Rider <joe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Congratulations on the new Optibike Sir Richard!
>
> WARM BEER - had some for lunch <wink to Kieth>, seriously.
>
> Beautiful day here.
>
> Best,
> Joe
>
> On Aug 12, 2:53 pm, "RichardPapa" <papap...@btconnect.com> wrote:
>

> > Yes, I have the oil cooled 3rd gen motors, they have developed them a bit
> > since....
>
> > You will have to check with Opti what motors they offer.  I assume they are
> > the same though,
>
> > Rich

Richard Papa

Aug 27, 2008, 3:41:42 PM8/27/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
So sorry Dan, I just have had no time for the boards :(

My Opti is simply "WONDERFUL!!!!". I just LOVE it!. Today I did 10 miles
off-road and getting use to the tags. But I just have not had time to visit
the show room (it's 60 miles from my house) to swap the wheels back. Opti
did a great job sending me out new wheels but I just have no time (Toy
season).

Will do a full report soon with all the dirty details too. The bike is
simply the best. No two ways about it.

Take care,

Rich

(Pic of Enrico on my bike... he calls it "HIS" bike)

Aug 27, 2008, 4:16:40 PM8/27/08
to TidalForce Forum
Yah, ditch them TAGS Rich--they make the bike look too toylike and
clumsy IMO. Just personal preference, but I think a set of well built
traditionally spoked wheels will both ride better and look much more
elegant.

Glad to hear you're loving your Opti.

Regards,

Larry

P.S. How's the UK economy looking? Things are getting pretty spooky
here in the States with the banks finally admitting that things are
going to get worse before they get better. Seems the Koolaid pitcher
on Wall Street is just about empty. Lehman, Freddie and FannieMac are
all in deep doodoo waiting for more Bernanke & company to start the
printing presses again to bail them out. The long-term debt we are
piling on is truly frightening.
> DSC02240.JPG
> 198KViewDownload

Richard Papa

Aug 27, 2008, 7:26:29 PM8/27/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
I disagree about the Tags Larry, they look "Way cool" to me! But that's just
me.

Apparently. Craig found some tires that work better with the TAGs. But
they are not a true commute wheel and common sense should have prevailed
when I was deciding. But for Marketing purposes the TAGs are beautiful
aesthetic IMO. And they are very strong! But I agree I want the original
wheels back. The TAGs (IMO) take away all the glory the Opti team have made
and make the bike a lot less comfortable. This is not a dis as I am getting
use to them but the original wheels make the bike much more "ALIVE", also
much more predictable. I was sliding both wheels in the mud today. Nearly
caught me out but I made adjustments with me riding style to compensate.
But I can't stress enough how much better the originals are to ride. Here's
something interesting though. I have given around 20 test rides with the
TAGs to people and not one complained! All said how smooth the ride was.
It's only because I have experienced the original wheels off-road at 30+mph
that I know which wheel feels better. The new tires our Craig is playing
with is very interesting though. Will try them out and report back.

Larry, even with the TAGs it's better than anything else out there. But I
agree the TAG's are more for people with spoke problems. The wheel are solid
but can flex an incredible amount for a wheel. Also, don't forget the
lifetime guarantee. If the new tires work out I could change my mind on
these. That or another brand may spring up. We will see...

Big public thanks to all at Opti, My bike is literally "Wild". Can't wait
to do a full report.

Cheers,

Rich

Btw, one of our customers will release a cool blog on his Optibike. Will
post the link soon...

Aug 28, 2008, 4:15:16 AM8/28/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
A back-of-an-envelope calculation suggest the sprung/unsprung ratio is
more than twice as bad with the TAG wheel compared to a normal MTB
wheel. The TAG is for downhill and other extreme uses. Of course it's
possible to get used to worse handling but why would one want to?

Tor Atle

deerfencer1

Aug 28, 2008, 3:15:13 PM8/28/08
to TidalForce Forum
My sentiments exactly. I think Opti was attracted by the "bombproof"
promises behind these wheels but IMO, other than for extreme riders
like Jamie, these wheels make no sense at all on a ride as sweet as
the Opti. Rich's initial reaction to them (he hated them) says it
all.

There are a ton of better choices, and 6500 almost maintenance free
miles (one initial spoke adjustment session shortly after purchase) on
my very ordinary factory SX rear wheel (Alex rims I think) speaks for
itself. I weigh 230+ and am carrying 50 pounds of batteries on my rear
rack right now, so nearly 300 pounds of dynamic payload right over the
rear wheel.

LH

David

Aug 28, 2008, 11:36:19 PM8/28/08
to TidalForce Forum
I agree. I didn't go with the Tag's because of the unsprung mass
issue. Now that said,
both Keith and Dan have had blown spokes on their wheels. I wonder if
they wish they had tags?

-David

Keith Felch

Aug 29, 2008, 1:04:10 AM8/29/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Negative, David. A few spokes after 1000 miles is not a big deal. I keep
extras now.
Keith

Aug 29, 2008, 8:59:42 AM8/29/08
to TidalForce Forum
No, I like the Mavics...it wasn't the wheel, it was an object that did
it.