Newly developed BMC motors

Jerome Daoust

Oct 1, 2008, 8:36:48 PM10/1/08
to TidalForce Forum
From this discussion:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5755

Chris Hunt (Hi-Power Cycles) writes on October 1, 2008...

I finally got hold of a few test units! Right now I have the
Thunderbolt "600w" rated internally geared hub motor... A few
surprises. The factory chose to do away with the steel gears and
instead opted for a quieter and much lighter material. The new gears
are made of a composite material that is supposed to be much stronger
than the previous nylon gears. I weighed the motor personally on a
shipment scale and guess what?? It is only 8.9 lbs! This is great
news. At the moment, we have 25A 36V, and 30A 48V BMC controllers, and
35A and 40A 24-72V crystalyte controllers. For the crystalyte, we
replace the 14 gauge wire with 12 gauge wire from the motor axle. I
will do extensive tests and comparisons and will post videos on
youtube within the next few days! I will keep you guys posted! thanks

Jerome Daoust

Oct 15, 2008, 4:31:08 AM10/15/08
to TidalForce Forum
Collecting the info about the new motors being tested...

From http://groups.google.com/group/Tidalforce/msg/98a8a1036f4fb720
... we just received some samples of our high power 600W brushless,
geared hub motor! ... This motor is capable of providing 50% more
power than the old motor! Also of note, I weighed it today and it came
in at only 8.9 lbs!

From http://groups.google.com/group/Tidalforce/msg/94ff543c8e8bba16
The "600w motor" is a factory continuous rating. It is normal to well
exceed this number for normal day to day use.

Also, they have received and will start testing the 1000 W motors
(brushless & gearless IIRC).

Jérôme Daoust

Oct 15, 2008, 4:45:18 AM10/15/08
to Tidal Force

Chris Hunt writes...
I actually have some more really good news! I got the first 1000W test motor in! We are calling it "Black Lightning." The motor itself is a nice classy black finish. The shocker here is that the motor only weighs in at 10.3 LBS!!!! Yes, that is not a misprint, The motor fully spoked in a 26" rim with rim tape weighs in a total of 11 lbs, 14 oz. Top speed should be more than 40 MPH at 48V. We are targeting the crystalyte X5 with this one. The actual size of the motor is the same as the 400 and 600W motors... However, this motor is not geared.
I took the motor for a quick spin tonight... It was a fast motor, and also extremely quiet. I will check the speeds I get with a 16 cell Lifepo4 pack and the new BMC 35A controller (with paralleled IRFB 4110 FETs).
1000w_motor.JPG

Jerome Daoust

Oct 22, 2008, 3:47:39 PM10/22/08
to TidalForce Forum
From http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5755&p=106531#p106531
Chris Hunt writes on October 22, 2008...

The 600W thunderbolt is definately the motor of choice right now! It
weighs only 8.9 lbs! On our 55.5v lipo system and clyte 40A
controller, top speed is 36+ MPH (GPS). It is much faster than the
400w motor, and in my opinion is the better hill climber as well
especially when coupled with a clyte 40A controller. I am very
impressed with the capabilities of the 600w geared motor. I have even
sold kits to local bike store owners of all people! Today, I brought
our dual suspension bike with the 600W motor to the local bike shop to
let one of the guys try it... He literally ran inside the bike shop
with a huge grin and yelled to the manager "Hey man, you gotta try
this!" The manager replied "I don't know if I want to! You have me
nervous with that silly grin on your face!" Anyways, after every
single staff member of the bike shop tried it, they all had the same
reaction: A huge smile, followed by "Wow! I can't believe how fast it
is!" They were all dumbfounded. They were used to selling Bionx kits,
so they had no idea what was in store for them when they tried a a
motor like this!

I want to mention that I do have a Crystalyte 5304 to test...I am just
waiting on the rim to lace it in. I will be doing a comparison video
between the C-lyte 5304 and the 600W thunderbolt for anyone interested
in seeing how a 25 lb behemoth stacks up against an 8.9lb welterweight
champ. When both motors laced into rims hit the scales at the shop,
the BMC came in under 11 lbs, while the C-lyte was 27 lbs! Wow.

For comparison sake, the 600W motor at near full speed on the flats
will draw about 28-29 amps. The 400w motor will draw about 22 amps.
When I tested the 600w motor up a mile long 8-10% grade (no pedaling)
I saw about 33-34 Amps maximum. I was drawing a continuous 1500W
climbing the grade. No heat, no cutoff, nothing, just pure smiles as I
coasted to the top. The 600W Thunderbolt is a VERY impressive motor.

Regarding noise... If anyone is familiar with the older style Currie
US Pro Drive systems, the 400 and 600w motors are about twice as
quiet. The 1000W motor is downright silent once it gets to speed, No
other biker could ever suspect you had an electric motor if he judged
by sound. I will speak more about the 1000w motor when we finalize the
design and meet the criteria promised earlier: 40 MPH at 48V. Keep in
mind, we offer cycle analysts on all of our motors to limit the speed
to whatever speed you find acceptable.

P.S. This motor and our extremely light weight batteries make it
possible to offer a 35 MPH, high torque, 5" travel dual suspension
(120mm travel front forks) Mountain bike that weighs in at UNDER 40
lbs ready to ride! If there is interest in something like this, we
will definitely offer it in the near future! Have a great day everyone.