Electric Motorsport's GPR-S e-motorcycle available now for $8,000

1 view

Jérôme Daoust

Oct 24, 2008, 4:00:12 PM10/24/08
to Tidal Force

When we spotted Electric Motorsport last year the company was pushing a high-ish performance electric motorcycle prototype, with a top speed of 100 MPH, 100 mile range, a $15,000 pricetag, and a whole bunch ugly battery strapped underneath. Lucky for us, they've taken a very mass-market approach to their next bike, the GPR-S. Boasting a 60-70 MPH top speed and 35-60 mile range, the sleek little bike just might be the perfect commuter ride, and the $8,000 pricetag is much more palatable. The bike can charge in about four hours, or 1.5 hours with an optional speed charger. Even better, the bike is modular in nature, which means you'll be able to swap in a better power system once one comes along with a minimum of hassle. Electric Motorsport has sold 25 of these so far, but they're up and running and ready for sales at volume -- which is surprisingly still an incredibly rare feat in the electric transportation industry, even in 2008.

Electric Motorsport's Electric GPR-S motorbike is receiving some notoriety because of its cool styling and efficient electric batteries, but according to its owner, it shines because of its customizable nature. "We designed a universal battery tray into it so that the efficient battery design that works great for this bike could be swapped out in the future," said the owner of Electric Motorsports, Todd Kollin, in a phone interview with Wired.com. Customizable rigs indicate that a user could buy the bike with an efficient battery and engine build today, and when the next cycle of improved batteries is released, he'll be able to swap in the new one without investing in a new bike.
That's a strong message that's likely to appeal to riders already looking at electric motorcycles as a fuel-efficient alternative.
The GPR-S e-motorbike has a powder-coated steel frame with a braced aluminum swing arm, and pushes out a top speed of 60-70 MPH. So it's mainly for city commuting but you could take it into the next town on one charge. It has a range between 35 miles and 60 miles depending on the power consumed and, often, on the size of the rider. So if you're a particularly feathery-sized fellow, expect the bike to take you to its performance/length limits. If you're on the opposite side of the size spectrum, you should probably stay off the freeway.
The bike takes about four hours to charge with an on-board charger or about 1.5 hours with an optional speed charger with integrated BMS, which is slightly better than other e-bikes. This focus on the bike's design and efficiency is a reflection of the private, small, and parts-focused company and is a feature that should be taken into account when considering all e-bikes, said Kollin.
Like a slow-cooking stew, the GPR-S was fully funded over the last seven years by the company's electric vehicle parts business, at a cost close to $250,000. And when we say it's small company, we mean really small: The Oakland-based company has only 8 employees.
Kollin emphasizes that he is more interested in getting the efficiency of the bikes at an optimal level, and that despite their expensive starting price, maintains they have "the best pricing on batteries for these types of bikes because we're a parts company." Most e-bikes at this level, like the Vectrix, come in between $10,000 and $12,000.
The small-co. set-up means the yearly output is limited, but unlike other heavily funded competitors (again, like Vectrix), they can maintain quality control over their bikes and make them more efficient and possible longer lasting the others.
Over the years, the company's EV parts have been used in other electric motorcycles, cars, and trucks, and even worked on the Brammo bike that we covered early last year.
But Kollin thinks his new bike will allow his company to move from relying on their parts business to focus on the bikes. He expects to sell 100 bikes by the end of the year, but could accommodate, through help from an Asian supplier, up to 500 a month.
But even for a company that knows its parts and supposedly gets the best out of its rigs, it's going to be a challenge to make its mark in this growing business. According to a recent report, Vectrix has sold 1,184 bikes to dealers in this calendar year (for close to $6.7 million), while Electric Motorsports has only pre-sold about 25 bikes.

I have to ask: For the same price as an Optibike 800Li, would this not be a better option for those who use it for commuting in traffic?
electric_gprs_red_tiger_1.jpg
gprsredbyfence_3.jpg

OptOut

Oct 24, 2008, 4:40:06 PM10/24/08
to Forum TidalForce
Jerome,
Thanks for posting.
As far as if this is better than an Optibike (or other bike) for a commute in traffic, it all depends on personal preferences and other factors. I would say for some this would be better. The Optibike has the advantages of exercise, backup manual power should the electric fail. Relative ease of parking and or storage.  Little or no license or insurance requirements (in most cases).  Getting away with questionable practices like riding on sidewalks, etc to get around traffic and passing red lights and stop signs (I don't recommend or condone these activities but they're often doable on a bicycle).
The motorcycle can be driven on highways and always ride in the traffic instead of next to it.  I can't think of any other advantage. So it depends a lot on your personal preferences and commuting needs.
Sounds nice for the price and many will prefer it over an Optibike.

Best,
Joe (mobile)
<electric_gprs_red_tiger_1.jpg>
<gprsredbyfence_3.jpg>

thes...@cox.net

Oct 25, 2008, 2:51:38 AM10/25/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com, OptOut
It takes someone who appreciates exercise, benefit to the environment, and the beauty of travelling in the bicycle's domain to understand the value an Optibike, or any ebike. If one does not appreciate those aspects, then any gas powered scooter at 80-100mpg is a more economical choice for getting from point A to B.

An ebike like the Optibike is the vehicle of choice for the Artist or Visionary--someone who uses their right brain at least as much as their left. Its true value lies in the things that you cannot quantify-things like experiencing beauty and the natural elements in one's day-to-day existence.
Keith

jhdeg...@aim.com

Oct 25, 2008, 11:11:46 AM10/25/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,
Very well written.
Optibike has shipped me a new battery and I'm waiting for the instructional video before installing it. Despite my limited range of 20 minutes on Eco mode, my son managed to get  the rear tire completely sliced and obviously very flat on his first ride. I've replaced the Marathon tire with a Kevlar type.
I've noticed in my brief experience with the bike so far that it tempts you to get into traffic and as I put it "run with the bulls". I nearly crashed it at about 35 or 40 trying to make what is my usual turn towards home off a downhill. Once the battery and computer are fixed and the rear fender arrives I will show this off in a big way. BTW, are you an Ambassador?  Amazingly , I am and I was wondering, have you or anyone else "sold" an Optibike?
                                                                                                   John Degenhardt

thes...@cox.net

Oct 25, 2008, 12:44:05 PM10/25/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com, jhdeg...@aim.com
I believe Mary and I have been credited with exactly one sale, which has been credited toward our purchase of our OB13 models, coming out in 2020, powered by pocket sized nuclear fusion reactors, and will have air conditioning.
Be careful out there!
Keith

---- jhdeg...@aim.com wrote:
> Hi Keith,
> Very well written.
> Optibike has shipped me a new battery and I'm waiting for the instructional video before installing it. Despite my limited range of 20 minutes on Eco mode, my son managed to get  the rear tire completely sliced and obviously very flat on his first ride. I've replaced the Marathon tire with a Kevlar type.
> I've noticed in my brief experience with the bike so far that it tempts you to get into traffic and as I put it "run with the bulls". I nearly crashed it at about 35 or 40 trying to make what is my usual turn towards home off a downhill. Once the battery and computer are fixed and the rear fender arrives I will show this off in a big way. BTW, are you an Ambassador?  Amazingly , I am and I was wondering, have you or anyone else "sold" an Optibike?
>                                                                                                    John Degenhardt

lowco2

Oct 26, 2008, 11:46:08 AM10/26/08
to TidalForce Forum
Amen, brother, amen!
This is what I've tried to tell people as well. This last week, I've
had the wonderful experience of the cold morning commutes where I
start at my house (5800') at a reasonable temperature. A few hundred
feet down, I go through an inversion and drop into some really cold
air, a left turn and another drop into a draw that carries White's
creek out the mountains. There you feel the humidity and cold air the
creek carries with it. A few up-and-down oscillations and I'm in
another area with creeks and irrigated pasture that definitely alters
the local environment. A quick rise over Windy Hill shows me how thin
that layer is as it's much warmer just 100' up. Then into the more
urbanized areas and you feel that urban heat island.
I'd never know these things in a car. I feel so much more connected
to the landscapes on the bike because I feel them as well as seen
them. How do you value that?
Well said, Keith.
--John

On Oct 24, 11:51 pm, <thesax...@cox.net> wrote:
> It takes someone who appreciates exercise, benefit to the environment, and the beauty of travelling in the bicycle's domain to understand the value an Optibike, or any ebike. If one does not appreciate those aspects, then any gas powered scooter at 80-100mpg is a more economical choice for getting from point A to B.
>
> An ebike like the Optibike is the vehicle of choice for the Artist or Visionary--someone who uses their right brain at least as much as their left. Its true value lies in the things that you cannot quantify-things like experiencing beauty and the natural elements in one's day-to-day existence.
> Keith
>
> ---- OptOut <optib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jerome,
> > Thanks for posting.
> > As far as if this is better than an Optibike (or other bike) for a
> > commute in traffic, it all depends on personal preferences and other
> > factors. I would say for some this would be better. The Optibike has
> > the advantages of exercise, backup manual power should the electric
> > fail. Relative ease of parking and or storage.  Little or no license
> > or insurance requirements (in most cases).  Getting away with
> > questionable practices like riding on sidewalks, etc to get around
> > traffic and passing red lights and stop signs (I don't recommend or
> > condone these activities but they're often doable on a bicycle).
> > The motorcycle can be driven on highways and always ride in the
> > traffic instead of next to it.  I can't think of any other advantage.
> > So it depends a lot on your personal preferences and commuting needs.
> > Sounds nice for the price and many will prefer it over an Optibike.
>
> > Best,
> > Joe (mobile)
>
> > On Oct 24, 2008, at 4:00 PM, "Jérôme Daoust" <eyestothe...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Fromhttp://www.engadget.com/2008/10/24/electric-motorsports-gpr-s-e-motor...
> > > Manufacturer:http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_electric_motorcycle_gpr-s...
Message has been deleted

Jerome Daoust

Oct 26, 2008, 8:22:00 PM10/26/08
to TidalForce Forum
On Oct 26, 8:46 am, lowco2 <jcsageb...@mac.com> wrote:
> This last week, I've
> had the wonderful experience of the cold morning commutes where I
> start at my house (5800') at a reasonable temperature. A few hundred
> feet down, I go through an inversion and drop into some really cold
> air, a left turn and another drop into a draw that carries White's
> creek out the mountains. There you feel the humidity and cold air the
> creek carries with it. A few up-and-down oscillations and I'm in
> another area with creeks and irrigated pasture that definitely alters
> the local environment. A quick rise over Windy Hill shows me how thin
> that layer is as it's much warmer just 100' up. Then into the more
> urbanized areas and you feel that urban heat island.
> I'd never know these things in a car. I feel so much more connected
> to the landscapes on the bike because I feel them as well as seen
> them. How do you value that?

Amen, Amen: Is the back-patting over?

You would also feel all that with an electric motorcycle (even in a
gas-guzzling car if you roll down the window).
And you can still feel smug about not using gas, just like an ebike.
An electric motorcycles has clear advantages over an ebike when used
for daily commuting:
- Reduced commute time, thanks to the higher speed.
- Able to follow traffic, instead of being passed and squeezed.
But best of all, you can give a ride to a hot babe on your back seat!

Dave Macdougall

Oct 27, 2008, 9:14:54 AM10/27/08
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
No you don't get the same feeling in a car or on a motor bike.
I pass through a tiny micro climate on my work commute that I did not know
about till I cycled it. Mainly on the late shift coming home.
The one thing that the guys on this board keep stating is we don't want
motor bikes we want an assisted bike. We want to do some of the work.
Nothing wrong with an electric motor bike, just not what most of us are
about.
Cheers
DaveM

Oct 27, 2008, 11:14:01 AM10/27/08
to TidalForce Forum
I'm with you, Dave. I rode motorcycles for years, still have my
license and I never felt what I do on the bike. The combination of
less heavy clothing and slower speeds allows you to expeiene more.
Cheers,
--John

On Oct 27, 6:14 am, "Dave Macdougall" <dave.macdoug...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> But best of all, you can give a ride to a hot babe on your back seat!- Hide quoted text -

OptOut

Oct 27, 2008, 12:40:19 PM10/27/08
to Forum TidalForce
Like many here, I've tried both. I loved my motorcycle but I prefer my
e-bike and don't have room for both in my life.

Best,
Joe (mobile)

On Oct 27, 2008, at 9:14 AM, "Dave Macdougall" <dave.ma...@ntlworld.com