Buying an EV Tech pack--request for review help

1 view

Reid Welch

Apr 18, 2007, 11:04:20 AM4/18/07
to TidalForce Forum
Hey, so I've made the leap to LiPoly. Doug is sending out a pack
today.
My bike is apart at the moment for frame painting, so it may be two
weeks before I run the pack.

I have a favor to ask: would you guys mind if I quote your words
about your Point 1 experiences to a review thread over at endless-
sphere?

The aim is to get the word out there about this good pack.

Here's the thread---corrections and inputs there or here are
appreciated.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=751

my bike:

a modded currie mongoose single speed retro styled cruiser--
it goes 26 to27mph with a freshly charged 37V LiPo pack.

Had a BS LiPo pack for a week, but it promptly failed and would cut
out.
The gear motor draws about 18 to 29A at top speed---their pack
wouldn't supply that;
it had some sort of internal problem.

----

Happy to have learned recently about the EV Tech Point 1.
It's going to be good! Thanks,
Reid

Reid Welch

Apr 18, 2007, 11:11:05 AM4/18/07
to TidalForce Forum
oops--typo: 20A, not 29.
The bike at top speed on level ground, still air, draws 18 to 20 A.

Joe

Apr 18, 2007, 11:25:47 AM4/18/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reid,
Read your endless-sphere post and found it interesting. You have my
blessing for repeating whatever you want from here to there. (But I'm
nobody.)
I'm gland you found this (TF) forum and the many positive comments on
EV Tech's wares.
Doug,
maybe you should take note about the lack of reviews turning Reid off
from buying and either remove that Reviews feature from the site or
maybe folks here could post their positive reviews or at least point
potential buyers to this forum to read reviews.
Best,
Joe

Reid Welch

Apr 18, 2007, 3:42:53 PM4/18/07
to TidalForce Forum

Hello Joe, thanks for the greeting and for the affirmation.
Do you moderate here?

---humor now:

Would you like a Randy for the group?
I know of one model at e-s and he is

available!

laugh please now,

Reid

Joe

Apr 18, 2007, 4:09:29 PM4/18/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Reid,
I was volunteered <sic> as a manager here.
I try to never venture outside this group but I can guess what your
Randy is (no thank you).
Best,
Joe

L-A-commuter

Apr 18, 2007, 6:08:15 PM4/18/07
to TidalForce Forum
Let me chime in... I just received 2 spanking new EV-Tech "Sun-
God" (I think "Point-one-tech" changed their name?)... Wired by Doug
with delphi connectors and "Y" cables to run them in parallel. I've
only took it out twice, but my god....I think I went almost 2 hours
and 26 or so miles with minimal pedaling...uphill. (Burbank to Santa
Clarita CA is about a 2000 foot climb).

These new batteries rock!

They have the same stats as the point-1 lipolys:

15ah capacity (I stop at 10ah to extend battery life)
37 volts (charges to 42 volts)
35 amp max current (will surge to 45 for short periods...not
recommended)
weight: an amazing 9.5 lbs

The size is about the same, but these have the separate BMS attached
(same as the one Knoxie reviewed)

$745 includes a charger.

DAVE

L-A-commuter

Apr 18, 2007, 6:11:18 PM4/18/07
to TidalForce Forum
Now,... If i could just stuff the guts of these 2 batteries into my
dead A battery hub....

just a thought

Steve Mooring

Apr 18, 2007, 7:13:28 PM4/18/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Anything I might have penned is now public domain... not a problem.

Steve

________________________________

Reid Welch

Apr 18, 2007, 8:17:33 PM4/18/07
to TidalForce Forum
Hi gents, and thanks for the permissions and for the new review, Dave.
Sounds clean and good. I've posted a link at the e-s thread to this
thread.
Should bring some readers over.

So post your pack reviews here, why not?
____________________

Co-incidentally,
what a nice day this has been;
got my currie's mal-aligned frame straightened by a custom frame shop;
was referred to them by the Coral Way Bike Shop here in Miami (a good
LBS).

I thought the job would be turned down;
cheap, crummy, crooked, tank-like China cruiser frame.
The shop makes high-end road bike frames. And their work is
gorgeous.

But you know what? I was invited to stop by, where the guys at
Terraferma Cycles stopped what they were doing
Mike and Dirk gave my low-rent job an hour of their time. And they
were cheerful and friendly.

Only one kink wouldn't work out: my money.

They would not take any pay, they would not accept my cash.
They asked for nothing at all.

PLUS, Dirk is going to get for my bike a double wing kickstand, he has
access to a local distributor.
And Mike, the proprietor, will cut off the single stand and weld the
new stand in place.

It's not often that I meet such craftsmen in Miami--of course, they at
present have zero interest in e-bikes,
yet, they helped me out--- just like I was a brother.

They did what no bike shop or any other custom place could or would
do: fixed my clunker frame.

One man can do. His name is Michael Terraferma
www.terrafermacycles.com

This is the only means left for payment.
I hope he won't mind. I hope not, because, lol, he's a pretty big
guy.
___________

Portrait:
The shop, Dirk, cruiser frame, Mike
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/6366/screenshot174vu6.jpg

deerfencer1

Apr 18, 2007, 9:55:39 PM4/18/07
to TidalForce Forum

Welcome aboard, Reid, and thanks for the post about that great local
shop of yours. So refreshing to hear of a shop that doesn't turn its
nose up when the guys encounter a situation like yours involving a
pedestrian frame in need of a good tweaking. Can't believe they did it
gratis as well--buy those boyz a six-pack at least!

If you search the archives here you'll find I was one of the first to
try--and rave about--Doug's lipo packs. I run two 15Ah 37V packs in
parallel on my S750X and have been tickled with their performance--and
this after a couple thousand (fast) miles and about 11 months time.
Even took the gold in the Tour de Sol one hour range race last May in
Saratoga, NY--in fact this was my first ride on the packs (Doug got
them to me literally the day before the race!). Feel free to copy and
paste my reviews-- a search here of "Doug's 37V lipos" should turn up
a slew of results.

Joe, Richard, and I are all co-hosts here, and I'm familiar with the
Endless Sphere site through our good friend Knoxie, who has been
testing the Point one and other lipos for Mark @ Team Hybrid UK.

Doug's latest lipos (3rd gen now I think) sound even better than the
ones I've been riding, so I think you'll be in awe of their
performance. They leave NIMH packs in the dust, and there's simply no
going back once you ride them. They have truly brought out the beast
in my Uma (my pet name for my SeX machine <g>): see my reports from
Block Island last summer, when I was routinely blasting into town at
33.5 mph avg speed (skinny high-pressure front tire)--and this on a
bike that is rated at around 25 mph max! Fun is an understatement.

Best,

Larry

Nimbuzz

Apr 18, 2007, 11:55:29 PM4/18/07
to TidalForce Forum
Reid, Sure use any of my 'celebrations' of my EV Tech pack. I think
anything on a site like this is quoteable

Uncle L, I think Doug recently said that it is currently the second
generation. The first one (of your "three") was Richard's 'beta'
version that wasn't quite up to snuff, experimental and not a real
'version.'

Unc A.

Reid Welch

Apr 19, 2007, 8:06:41 PM4/19/07
to TidalForce Forum

Thanks Larry and Al. I've quoted your posts above to the e-s thread.
Have read through some of the archives now, Larry. I see better...
that i want TWO packs now for parallel operation. Well, maybe some
day.

Unrelated, of possible general interest,
here's a photo essay of yesterday's visit to the frame maker's shop:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11254#11254

cheers,
Reid

deerfencer1

Apr 19, 2007, 8:59:30 PM4/19/07
to TidalForce Forum
Reid,

Really enjoyed that photo essay. Always great to find people who are
passionate about their work, and enjoy it so much they treat it as
play! You're lucky to have these guys.

The custom bike frame business seems full of friendly talented people;
up in my neck of the woods (NY/CT area) we have Peter Weigl and
Richard Sachs.

Richard has been around forever and is a bit of a legend; works like a
hermit and treats frame building as an ongoing meditation. The coolest
thing is these guys are usually extremely active hardcore riders
themselves--I'm talking cyclocross fanatics, which is about as pure as
you can get historically with road bikes. I remain in awe of these
dudes, who are living (and riding) their dream. I have no doubt your
shop guys fall into the same lucky category.

Cheers,

Larry

Richard Papa

Apr 20, 2007, 6:53:35 AM4/20/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reid,

Great to have people like you around to spread the word. It's even greater
that we have 18 months of experience on these Li-po's and the more you hear
the better they sound.

Just had a quick look at endless sphere and noticed Randy Draper is a
member. Had a chuckle too. I simply have no time for trolls (I did but not
anymore) so it's good to have someone like yourself passing on the
TidalForce Forums findings.

These Li-Polly's have stood the test of time and although the first batch
had some teething problems they still hold up. I wonder if our Jeff has
looked at these packs? I do not recall any comments from him? The only thing
we need to worry about is the mfg keeping up the QC. As Jeff pointed out on
the LIFE, you cannot rush these things.

As I understand things, the new range of Li-Po's will be modular. This is
really what the industry needs. Plug & Play parallel packs with a top BMS &
smart charger. The current prices are pretty impressive also and you have
to admit that these are the best we have found so far. They even beat the
new LIFE packs we are talking about due to the weight savings & testing this
group has done.

I tried one of the first packs and it was screwed into a Topeak rear bad. I
noticed how light the thing was (15ah) compared to our TF hubs and it's very
impressive. Also, as it was screwed down, it felt solid as a rock!

Take care my friend and good luck in your project. Promoting these packs is
a worthy thing,

Rich

Apr 22, 2007, 1:29:12 PM4/22/07
to TidalForce Forum
Hello Larry, good to hear from you again. I know I've met
extraordinary friends at the local frame builder's shop.
Mike is rare fellow indeed--and doesn't mind a gawker visiting his
shop.

He'll help me next by welding an adapter for a bipod kickstand to my
frame;
am ditching the single kickstand in favor of this entirely retro
looking thing found on ebay:
http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/210/bipodwj6.jpg
(not yet arrived but I have hopes it'll be ideal enough)

Here's an even better bipod stand--I think it's German made? One of
the Hebie models.
http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/7913/hebiebipodpz3.jpg
UK dealers all sell them---yet nary a source, says Google, in the
USA.

_________________________

Hi Rich! Long time since the VisforVirus forum, eh? Good to hear
your voice and kind words.
Yes--it occurred to me that EV Tech was missing the boat entirely at e-
s forum.
And we there were missing the pack as well.
By extending his market (gee, Doug does no selling, really), more mojo
for all may result.

__________________________

humor verse for Larry:

Dear Sir,

I note your earnest advert
to unload nickel packs.
Q: Are they rolled in paper tubes?
Loose coin all in sacks?

I do not mint for metals:
no Gold or Silver-mine;
Iron is rough with wrinkles;
Phosphate soda wastes a dime.

Instead, to favor oxide
tinted Cobalt blue
of the lightest metal
Lithium--as you do.

Richard Papa

Apr 23, 2007, 1:34:06 PM4/23/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reid,

It's always nice to see old friends here :0) Such a shame about V though. I
miss the place & Ken. Hope he is ok.

What's all this about the EV Tech packs? What's the story on this? I know
TeamHybrid have plenty of them and dealing direct with the mfg. So confused
what you mean? Are you saying Doug will not sell you any? I doubt that, Doug
is alright.

Keep us posted any interesting stories. And if we can do anything for
Endless Spear then please let us know.

Take care,

Rich

Apr 24, 2007, 9:20:44 AM4/24/07
to TidalForce Forum
Hi Rich,

Up at the top I did say that Doug is sending me a pack.

There's no difficulty or friction between UK's Team Hybrid and EV Tech
that I've heard about;
they are collaborators; Doug Canfield spec'd this pack and supplies or
supplied it and Puma motors to Team Hybrid.
It was Mark at Team Hybrid who wrote two weeks ago a letter of
introduction to Doug on my behalf.
So they are indeed on good terms.

In fact, my pack arrived just last night, direct from the Lone Star
State.
(I guess that Doug is the lone star; it sure isn't Bush)

Photos, ruminations:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11837#11837

It's going to be good!

Cheers,
Reid

Reid Welch

Apr 24, 2007, 9:19:48 AM4/24/07
to TidalForce Forum

Reid Welch

Apr 24, 2007, 8:49:33 AM4/24/07
to TidalForce Forum
HI Rich,

There's no difficulty or friction between UK's Team Hybrid and EV

Tech. They are collaborators;
Doug Canfield spec'd this pack.
In fact, mine arrived just last night, direct from Doug and Ann
Canfield:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11837#11837

It's going to be good! The charger seems to be DOA, but hey,
I'm a couple or three weeks from running the bike again--it's all
apart.

Cheers,
Reid

Richard Papa

Apr 24, 2007, 10:17:54 AM4/24/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Oh I am sorry then. I mixed up your post and did not understand when you
said "EV Tech missed the boat".

All is well again in the space time continuum.

Cheers,

JoePod

Apr 24, 2007, 11:03:05 AM4/24/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reid,
Nice photos of the EVTech pack. I just read some of the earlier posts on that e-s thread and noted some
miscommunications re Larry's descriptions and his bike's set up (lovingly referred to as Uma). Larry (Uma) has NO FRONT
TIDALFORCE BATTERY HUB. He rides with 2 of Doug's Lipos in parrallel (nothing other power storage). He lives in an
area (kind of in my neck of the woods) that has hills and maybe some mountains. The "climbing stairs" is not literally
climbing stairs, just steep roads, but he'll have to elaborate any more detail on how steep or if he meant a series of
flats and hills.
Final tech note, our standard TF hub battery is only 8.5 amp hour, not 13 as posted in the thread.
I should post this at e-s but I'm too lazy.
Best,
Joe

Richard Papa

Apr 24, 2007, 11:32:58 AM4/24/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Holy macaroni!

I just had a look at Reid's handy work and all I can say is "Oh My". What a
wonderful piece of work!!! (Steve check the link!!!)

Very nice indeed and I just stole a few shots for this group.

Cheers Reid,

Rich

screenshot226es0.jpg
lipo_frame1_108.jpg

Richard Papa

Apr 24, 2007, 12:36:30 PM4/24/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
I know, I never suggested otherwise?

Rich

Steve Mooring

Apr 25, 2007, 11:38:46 AM4/25/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if I'm the Steve you referred to, Rich, but I will say that this is great piece of work! Good job Reid...

I do think that since we have huge improvements in battery chemistry, the way we integrate the battery form factor into the frame is now the newest area of opportunity. I have work to do in this area. Lots of ideas, but no time to execute...

Steve

________________________________

Apr 25, 2007, 11:57:16 AM4/25/07
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
I meant to add Steve M! So yes it’s youwho,

Rich

Reid Welch

Apr 26, 2007, 8:27:36 PM4/26/07
to TidalForce Forum
Thanks for kudos I don't deserve. See, that's the OEM frame of a
Currie Mongoose retro cruiser bike.
That's how it was built. The small box perching the pack is where the
OEM brush motor controller resides.
Got the bike online last July. It's my first and only ebike.

The frame needs only a little bit of modding to take the EV Tech pack.
It will all look very nice. The bike is such a cheap thing--but so
sturdy, all steel.
The Thud Buster seatpost made the single greatest improvement in ride
quality of all mods I've tried.
I recommend the TB to anyone who might not have full suspension. I
stay on the seat for just about any bump.

-----
Have some minor issue with the new pack. The pack moves inside the
aluminum box, endwise shaken, the pack bumps to and fro some fraction
of an inch. That's not good. Will fix this with wax or injectable
foam or something similarly chemically neutral.

------
This forum was down the other day when I was trying to post. I did
not know that my attempted posting went up.
As it turns out, it did. Now I read this page for the first time
since, and learn that i am a master frame designer.

I can live with that. (wink!)

Thanks (puffed chest pose)

Reid