IZIP Express

Jerome Daoust

Mar 7, 2009, 9:06:31 PM3/7/09
to TidalForce Forum

deerfencer

Mar 8, 2009, 12:22:38 PM3/8/09
to TidalForce Forum
Thanks for posting this, Jerome--very good write-up. The noise and
uneven power delivery are both disappointing--the latter especially
would drive me nuts. Wavecrest set a very high standard with its
silent seamless drive system that will be difficult to compete with.
Here's hoping the Currie techs can iron out the power problem before
this bike is mass released.

BTW what is the MSRP?

LH

Richard Papa

Mar 8, 2009, 12:30:40 PM3/8/09
to Tidal...@googlegroups.com
Yes indeed, big thanks Jerome! I am sure many will find this info useful!

Take care,

Rich

Jerome Daoust

Mar 8, 2009, 2:39:28 PM3/8/09
to TidalForce Forum
deerfencer wrote:
> BTW what is the MSRP?

2999 $US. But some places sell it for 200 less:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=124059#p124059

Beginning of the related discussion on Endless-Sphere:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7931

deerfencer

Mar 8, 2009, 4:20:31 PM3/8/09
to TidalForce Forum
Just finished reading the discussion at ES and have to say this bike
seems overengineered to me in not a good way. My Denali e-dirt bike
has a belt drive and it slips under certain conditions, so the IZIP
might occasionally slip as well, especially in wet weather.

Putting that issue aside, in general I just don't like the complexity
of the drive design, nor the looks. I'd take a basic rear hub drive
over this any day. It will be interesting to see if this bike gets
accepted at the $3K pricepoint Curry is gunning for. IMHO this just
goes to show how underpriced the original TF bikes were--
unfortunately, as we know, even at under or around $3K Wavecrest
couldn't move enough of their bikes to even come close to being
profitable. I just don't think the numbers are there yet in the US e-
bike market to succeed unless gas creeps back up above
$3/gallon.

LH

Bike_On

Mar 9, 2009, 12:03:51 PM3/9/09
to TidalForce Forum
Jerome, thanks for the report.

Larry, I think you are being a little hard on the IZIP express
product. I think they are offing another HIGH performance e-bike.
The bike can cruise in the mid 20's with pedalling - all the euro e-
bikes, bionx, etc cannot do this. DIY power hub kits can, but they
weight more.

The drive design has + and -. It does have some merit in that the
Swiss have been using this dolphin design in their bike for years.
Although it is technically not gear drive, the motor is center mounted
for a good center of gravity, (though a little high). The 750W puts is
right there with the E+750W and Opti 800Li.

The 18Ahr lithium exceeds all competitiors except Optibike.

WEight: less than 70lbs - not a motorbike.

The pedelec mode of the controls, again, makes this a riders bikes,
not a sit-throttle bike.

Bottom line, I see two classes of e-bikes:
1. Low speed (15mph typical top speed continuous) vs High speed
(15-20+ mph average) Express is th e latter.
2. Range is very acceptable with 18Ahrs.
3. Price 3K is ok for these numbers.
4. Quality - it is less, and that refects the price. Good, high
quality components, and you are upping the price to the E+ level.
That is seen with the OHM product, $3500, great quality and
components, but still a Low-power bike.

There was a post a while back where a wall Strret Journal guy
challenged an avid road biker a race up a hill, while he rode an OHM.
It is embarrassing for the e-bike community.

Dan
> > Beginning of the related discussion on Endless-Sphere:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7931- Hide quoted text -

Bike_On

Mar 9, 2009, 12:07:36 PM3/9/09
to TidalForce Forum
PS. Bottom line #2: I submit that the IZIP Express is THE CLOSEST
competitor to the E+ and Opti brand line, in the North American
market. We should welcome it and have more comparisons.
> > > Beginning of the related discussion on Endless-Sphere:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7931-Hide quoted text -

deerfencer

Mar 9, 2009, 1:03:23 PM3/9/09
to TidalForce Forum
Dan,

I agree I should have praised the IZIP's power and range, both of
which put this bike in the high performance category where there are
very few turn-key choices. But the fact remains the power delivery
system appears to be experienced as awkward and uneven, though
admittedly this is based just on a couple early ride reports. Perhaps
it's one of those bikes you have to get used to and learn to adapt
your pedaling style to smooth things out. If not, I have a real
problem with the balkiness implied in Jerome's review.

LH

On Mar 9, 12:03 pm, Bike_On <therowe...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > > Beginning of the related discussion on Endless-Sphere:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7931-Hide quoted text -

pierrino

Mar 9, 2009, 1:47:24 PM3/9/09
to TidalForce Forum
I own a last year's Izip Urban Cruiser. Not a good bike and vastly
misrepresented by the company. I'm trying to get them to come and get
it or I'm gonna put it out at the curb.
Pierrino
> > I tested one today:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=139030#p139030- Hide quoted text -
Message has been deleted

Bike_On

Mar 9, 2009, 3:13:58 PM3/9/09
to TidalForce Forum
I have not ridden the bike and the reviews I have ready are 50/50 on
the feedback. The guys at Extra Energy, from Germany, gave it a very
good rating I believe, but they ride low power bikes all the time.

I find it interesting that Jerome mentions a digital controller
upgrade? How can this bike not already have a digital controller?

One big long term test is reliability with the Express. 750W and the
large battery, long rides, big commutes can take a toll and will we
will know about it eventually.

I knew of Pierrino's expereince with the IZIP Cruiser. I was
reserving judgement for the Express and not quick to dismiss it as
Junk.

To me, any lead acid system is not worth the money past the novelty of
e-bikig 5 miles or less. Any further, you need high Ahrs, more
weight, less handling, can't ride like a bike...lead acid bikes are
still in the TOY category, and people who depend on their bike for
transportation know that. IMHO. Sorry to digress on pb acid.

DR

deerfencer

Mar 9, 2009, 4:22:07 PM3/9/09
to TidalForce Forum
The drive belt system and fully automatic pedelec feature set this
bike apart from other e-bikes, but I see both as potentially more
troublesome than beneficial. Why? Possible belt slippage in wet
conditions, inability to override the auto power mode, more things
that can go wrong over time, etc. If Curry had a sparkling reputation
I think I'd be cutting them more slack, but all I can say to
prospective buyers is to insist on a LONG test ride that includes a
lot of hills, and maybe do a second test ride on a rainy day.

I'm no engineer, but slapping a belt drive on top of a chain driven
bike just feels (and looks) wrong to me. Take a look at the rear wheel
configuration close-up at the Curry site and tell me it doesn't look
cumbersome and more than a bit odd. That long skinny rubber belt just
does not inspire confidence.

I could be dead wrong on this but this tech looks to me to be a step
backwards in integrated and efficient power delivery. Clearly this
issue won't be settled until we have some more ride reports, so please
just take this as one observer's opinion. I WILL say the E+ and Opti
both appear to ride circles around this bike technologically, though
the IZIP as configured has almost double the range of the E+.

LH