The Rabble

egli...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2006, 1:48:03 PM1/18/06
to The Disorder
So as a member of The Rabble, can I rabble? Am I allowed to make
discussion intercourse here or what is my job overall? I am really only
good at causing sexually-oriented mischief... but we'll see...

Shivanath

Jan 18, 2006, 1:56:50 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
LOL.

The Rabble can do as they please - talk, discuss, fight, argue, defy
and generally embody Chaos.

The Hierarchy embody Order.

So the Hierarchy pretty much have to Obey the Epop, where as the
Rabble can ignore and Defy the Epop, who's only sanction against them
is yelling, or booting them off the list.

Think of it this way: the Goverment (Epop) controls the Police
(Hierarchy): they give Orders. The Police either Ignore or Beat Up
Protestors (The Rabble).

We're all here to talk and learn about these roles, among other things.

Rabble.

--
Dharma. Artha. Kama. Moksha.

Fell

Jan 18, 2006, 1:59:37 PM1/18/06
to The Disorder
Now it makes sense. Let the fit hit the shan!

What would the process be of a Rabblerouser becoming a member of the
Hierarchy and vice versa?

Shivanath

Jan 18, 2006, 2:14:27 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
To become a member of the Hierarchy, you make a post claiming a Number.

Subject: My Powerball Number is 18

say.

You're not a member of the hierarchy yet, however. At the next
Reshuffle you become a member of the Hierarchy.

Here's how that works.

1> The Reshuffle happens when any one of the six balls comes up with
number the current Epop guessed to come to power (their Epop Number).

2> At the time of the Reshuffle, the Hierarchy divides into three parts.

BUST: Everybody who Claimed a number over the Powerball number. These
people are footstools.

EPOP: The Person or Persons who Claimed the number on or under the
Powerball Number (i.e. if Powerball is 18, and you and me both Claimed
17 (and nobody claimed 18), we're both Epop)

HIERARCHY: Everybody under the Epop - all the numbers Claimed down to 1.

these, plus the Rabble, are the Four Elements of The Disorder, if you will.

3> Because I'm, Interim Epop, we're having a Reshuffle tonight, even
if my Powerball Number does not come up. The next Epop is the first
Real Epop.

4> To leave the Hierarchy, post a Claim saying "My Powerball Number is
Fuck Off" or some other non-integer value. At the next Reshuffle (and
not before!) you leave the Hierarchy and join the Rabble. Also, you
can leave The Disorder at any time by unsubscribing from the mailing
list.

Epop Bastart the Justified, 1

Don Eglinski

Jan 18, 2006, 2:17:36 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
Ohhh-kaaay. I got it. Sort of like The Price is Right.

Thanks, Shivanath!

Shivanath

Jan 18, 2006, 2:30:33 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
Yes, exactly.

I was trying to anchor a social system which has a complex enough base
to allow people to work out a lot of shit about power and hierarchy,
without it developing into the sort of grade-centric role playing so
common of even Chaos-oriented magical orders.

Under some Epops, the Hierarchy may represent Magical Instruction,
where each Number instructs the Numbers below them. ("I am not a
Number, I am a Free Man!")

Under others, it could be a feudal court. The Incoming Epop should set
the tone and keep people in their roles if at all possible, both on
list and in list-related communications. (The Disorder being envisaged
as mainly electronic)

Epop Bastart the Just, 1

On 1/18/06, Don Eglinski <egli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ohhh-kaaay. I got it. Sort of like The Price is Right.
>
> Thanks, Shivanath!

Sighris777

Jan 18, 2006, 3:43:48 PM1/18/06
to The Disorder
Wow... I had no idea what I was getting into...

Shivanath wrote:>
> I was trying to anchor a social system which has a complex
> enough base to allow people to work out a lot of shit about
> power and hierarchy, without it developing into the sort of
> grade-centric role playing so common of even Chaos-
> oriented magical orders.

Brilliant!
- I wonder how this experiment will differ from the zee-list
experiment started by the (in)famous Marik & Havoc23... I guess time
will tell.

OK, a quick question, just a theoritical question (I do not want to do
this now, but maybe in some future week) can we change our PowerBall #
at "the last second"?
- For example, what if just 23 minutes before the PowerBall # is
picked I get a beam from VALIS and I know the PowerBall# will be 23
even though I had picked say "7" three days earlier. Can I change my #?

Shivanath

Jan 18, 2006, 3:57:02 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
> Wow... I had no idea what I was getting into...

<grin>

You should see what happens when you become a Nath via the American
Nath Society :-)

> Shivanath wrote:>
> > I was trying to anchor a social system which has a complex
> > enough base to allow people to work out a lot of shit about
> > power and hierarchy, without it developing into the sort of
> > grade-centric role playing so common of even Chaos-
> > oriented magical orders.
>
> Brilliant!
> - I wonder how this experiment will differ from the zee-list
> experiment started by the (in)famous Marik & Havoc23... I guess time
> will tell.

Z-List had, as far as I know, no structural hierarchy, so all
hierarchy was created socially and through magical experience. That
works, but it's too *rigid* because, except under exceptional
circumstances, social hierarchies have no real correlation with
magical talent or insight.

Guessing or changing a powerball number, however.... this is a
creation of Pure Will: those who *know* the future rule, and those who
don't, don't. People can choose not to play for Power - they can be
among the Rabble and play for social power or none at all, or they can
choose low Hierarchy numbers - small odds of a win, and if you do win,
a small Hierarchy. A very high Powerball number leaves few people
Bust, and has a large and complex Hierarchy...

You see the idea. This is poker with marked cards :-)

> OK, a quick question, just a theoritical question (I do not want to do
> this now, but maybe in some future week) can we change our PowerBall #
> at "the last second"?
> - For example, what if just 23 minutes before the PowerBall # is
> picked I get a beam from VALIS and I know the PowerBall# will be 23
> even though I had picked say "7" three days earlier. Can I change my #?

As the initiatl post states, more or less, the Powerball is picked at
10:59 ET. All Claims must be datestamped by Google Groups at one
minute before that time, i.e. 10:57:59 ET or earlier, and new Claims
supercede old claims.

So, yes, you can time it down to the last second if you like :-)

I *think* a one minute buffer is enough - perhaps it should have been
an hour - but we'll see how it works in practice.

Sighris777

Jan 18, 2006, 4:21:31 PM1/18/06
to The Disorder
> Z-List had, as far as I know, no structural hierarchy, so
> all hierarchy was created socially and through magical
> experience.

Correct (although a few might have some arguments).

> That works, but it's too *rigid* because, except under
> exceptional circumstances, social hierarchies have no
> real correlation with magical talent or insight.

That is an interesting claim/belief...
- I would like to see you defend that beLIEf. ;)

Sighris 777 (PowerBall #13)

lvx23

Jan 18, 2006, 4:52:52 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
"People can choose not to play for Power - they can be
among the Rabble and play for social power or none at all..."

I'm just waiting for the right opportunity to incite a popular rebellion amongst the oppressed rabble when we sieze control of the Hierarchy and storm the Powerball vaults.

Shivanath

Jan 18, 2006, 4:57:51 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
Hm. Well, look at it this way: does being a good programmer make you
socially popular? Or being a good classical musician? Or being a good
driver?

Some kinds of skill or talent don't produce corresponding increases in
charisma, in social status, or social skill. Power hierarchies, in
general, measure people's abilities to climb the tree, not their
ability to do the job that the hierarchy is supposed to be doing.
Consider the Peter Principle: "People are promoted to the level at
which they begin to fuck things up, and then they stay at that level."

Well, that's be all well and good, but you know what? Tall people earn
10% more on average than short people, and men earn 30% more than
women for the same job, on average, according to the signs I see on
busses in Illinois.

If magical talent is equally common in men and women, how many
female-led magical orders to you know?

Epop Bastart the Just, 1

Fell

Jan 18, 2006, 5:06:44 PM1/18/06
to The Disorder
I like the concept the more I think about it. And I'm with lvx23...

Fell

Jan 18, 2006, 5:07:42 PM1/18/06
to The Disorder
Do the colours around our names represent anything?

Shivanath

Jan 18, 2006, 5:03:30 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
<grin>

SMASH THE MACHINE SMASH THE MACHINE SMASH THE MACHINE!

Destroy All Powerballs :-)

Shivanath

Jan 18, 2006, 5:11:29 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
Er... you're tripping? Are you seeing something on Google's web interface???

On 1/18/06, Fell <egli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do the colours around our names represent anything?

angelina.

Jan 18, 2006, 6:01:25 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
On 1/18/06, lvx23 <lvx2...@gmail.com> wrote:

FUCK YES. ;)

--
~ Angelina M. Fabbro
http://www.irreality.net

"How am I not myself?"

Fell

Jan 18, 2006, 6:13:02 PM1/18/06
to The Disorder
On this thread on groups.google.com, I see blue around Shivaneth's
name, green around angelina., red around Fell, purple around lvx23,
browny-orange around Sighris777, etc.

Shivanath

Jan 18, 2006, 6:17:45 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
Oh, that's just it distinguishing who wrote what: each time a reply is
quoted in another email it gets a different color. It's some automatic
feature, unrelated to The Disorder

Hearth Watch

Jan 18, 2006, 6:35:53 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
Question: Do we have to renew our number each week, or
can we have a standing number?

> As the initiatl post states, more or less, the
> Powerball is picked at
> 10:59 ET. All Claims must be datestamped by Google
> Groups at one
> minute before that time, i.e. 10:57:59 ET or
> earlier, and new Claims
> supercede old claims.
>
> So, yes, you can time it down to the last second if
> you like :-)
>
> I *think* a one minute buffer is enough - perhaps it
> should have been
> an hour - but we'll see how it works in practice.
>
> Epop Bastart the Justified, 1

http://mail.yahoo.com

Shivanath

Jan 18, 2006, 6:50:08 PM1/18/06
to The-Di...@googlegroups.com
Your Claimed number stands until you change it.

Remember that Epop's usually rule until the Number they Claimed comes
up: if Sighris Claimes 30, and the Powerball comes up 32, he's Epop
until **any** of the Six Balls comes up 30.

That's the Reshuffle, and whoever's the New Epop has to post to the
list Claiming their Epophood.

This sounds fiddly, and there's a reason for that: it's designed to be
basically airtight. There are a few boundary cases which still need to
be closed (i.e. what if Everybody guesses Over the Powerball and goes
Bust, including the Previous Epop? My guess is The Disorder is
Epopless for a few days until the next Powerball drawing) but, other
than odd bits and bobs like that, the complexity is designed to create
reliable chaos, if you see what I mean ;-)

Epop Bastart the Just, 1