Re: Bill to ban bicycling on River Road

Glen Wanner

Jan 15, 2009, 8:02:05 PM1/15/09
to Thomas F. O'Connell, Meehan, Leslie (MPO), TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com, Steven Sondheim, Jayne Gordon, Ann Richards, Austin Bauman, Bob Murphy, David Kleinfelter, tagr...@gmail.com, Shana Culberson, Jane Lacy, John Houghton, Jeff Themm, Leslie Meehan, Sean Davies, Shannon K Hornsby, Stephen Carr, Thad Hoffman, Bruce Day, Jeff Sammons, Keith Webb, Kelley Segars, Pat Clements, Philip Pugliese, Tom Evans, William Anderson, Adetokunbo Omishakin, John Norris
River Road is not included in the original Strategic Plan for Sidewalk and Bikeways and I doubt it is in the new one. My thinking is that it is very rural and does not serve logical destinations for most cyclists so it was not a high priority for cycling facilities. However, it is popular for recreational riding and is included in our book Bicycling Middle Tennessee. I know several clubs also use it.

Everyone should oppose this state bill banning cycling. The speed limits are set so motorists have plenty of time to identify cyclists ahead. State law requires the overtaking motorists to insure the safety of all others. If cyclists are unduly impeding traffic, there are laws that should address that. This is simply a law to get the damn cyclists out of the way so angry motorists can drive faster.

A similar attempt occurred in Wilson County but it was passed by the local county commission who later overturned on advice from their legal council. Since this is a state bill, this one might work.

We really need to mount a state-wide effort on this one. We should probably get in touch with the League of American Bicyclists in that they could at least offer advice if not other assistance.

Unfortunately, we do not have a state-wide advocacy organization so the effort should be spear-headed by local advocates, but we will needs lot of help from others around the state. Since the legislative session has just started, the bill will have to go to committee first before it goes to a full vote. I think the State Senate would need to pass a similar bill and then the governor would have to sign it. Thus, we have several opportunities to kill the bill--the sooner the better.

Glen Wanner
Walk/Bike Nashville

Jan 16, 2009, 3:22:54 PM1/16/09
to Tennessee Bicycling Advocates
FYI- Found this article about a similar ban in TX while doing research
today.

Bicycle ban angers cyclists
Anna: Riders want access to popular route; city cites safety issues
07:41 AM CDT on Friday, May 19, 2006
By JENNIFER EMILY / The Dallas Morning News

FM455 in Anna is quite curvaceous but has no shoulders.
Such a combination could be deadly, say city officials, who have
banned cycling along the road.
An ordinance prohibiting bikes on the road cites the "danger and
peril" of sharp curves and hills, limited vision, lack of a shoulder
and an expected traffic increase.
"We're going to have a tragedy because that guy or that woman driving
that car isn't going to see them until they're right on them," said
Anna city administrator Lee Lawrence.
But bike enthusiasts say they should be the ones who decide where to
ride and whether it's safe. Collin County cyclists once frequently
traveled the road.
If safety is indeed the issue, let cyclists make the decision
themselves, said Robin Stallings, executive director of the Texas Bike
Coalition.
"We live in Texas. It's pretty independent. Texans get to decide for
themselves about their safety," Mr. Stallings said. "We believe they
are more concerned about motorists' inconvenience. Sometimes, you
gotta slow down for grandpa, and sometimes you have to slow down for a
bicyclist."
The Anna City Council passed the ordinance, 5-0, in July 2003, but
cyclists said they only recently realized cycling was banned on the
road. Mr. Lawrence said signs announcing the ban popped up along the
road months after the council ruled.
No one can ride a bicycle along FM455 between State Highway 5 and the
East Fork of the Trinity River. Violating the ban is a misdemeanor
punishable by a $200 fine.
Mr. Lawrence said he knows of no citations issued.
Rusty Nail of Melissa, who compiles the Plano Bicycle Association
newsletter and runs the group's Web site, said the ban is useless
because the city does not enforce it. He also serves on Melissa's
parks and recreation board.
"It's a major road from Weston to Anna. We probably put the blinders
on so much trying to protect ourselves that we give over our freedom
to the government," said Mr. Nail. "When do we say enough is enough?"
Cyclists suggest lowering the speed limit or putting up "share the
road" signs instead of promoting a cycling prohibition.
Mr. Lawrence said lowering the speed limit isn't feasible. The ban was
created after two nearby fatalities on similar roads, he said.
Discussions are under way to widen the road between U.S. Highway 75
and Highway 5. But that won't solve the problem.
"That road was built for a 55 mph speed. What is being asked with that
request is that we inconvenience the vast majority of the users to
accommodate a very small amount of the users," Mr. Lawrence said. "I
don't think that's a fair request."
A 1989 Texas Attorney General's opinion addresses the issue of cities
prohibiting cycling on specific roads. It states that a city can ban
cycling on controlled or limited-access highways, roads or streets,
including freeways.
But the opinion also allows bans on other streets if safety is the
reason.
Rebecca Blewett, an attorney with the Texas Department of
Transportation, said the ruling allows cities to ban cycling on
certain streets. "They have that authority," she said.
But Mr. Stallings said there are other ways to protect cyclists. He
said cycling organizations are talking with the city of Anna as well
as with attorneys about their options.
The bike ban has been added to the council's June 13 agenda.

Glen Wanner

Jan 16, 2009, 4:50:03 PM1/16/09
to Leslie Thompson, Carr, Stephen, Thomas F. O'Connell, Meehan, Leslie (MPO), TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com, bcu...@cbjw.net, Steven Sondheim, Jayne Gordon, Ann Richards, Austin Bauman, Bob Murphy, David Kleinfelter, tagr...@gmail.com, Shana Culberson, Jane Lacy, John Houghton, Jeff Themm, Sean Davies, Shannon K Hornsby, Thad Hoffman, Bruce Day, Jeff Sammons, Keith Webb, Kelley Segars, Pat Clements, Philip Pugliese, Tom Evans, William Anderson, Adetokunbo Omishakin, John Norris
I believe Tom Groom mentioned a serious bike accident on River Rd. but it did not involve a motor vehicle. It is interesting River Rd. is not listed as S.R. 251 in the bill. Since it is a state road, the legislator might have authority to do this. Leslie's letter is excellent, but I added one more sentence in red to make it clear that current law should address any issues there might be. The question is if we want to mount a big campaign now or see if we can thwart the whole thing before it comes to a full vote. If it does come to a full vote, then we can be ready to launch a big campaign.

After some thought, here are my recommendations:

  • WBN contacts Rep. Gary Odom whose district is adjacent to Moore's. Odom is a very senior member and might be able to help us kill the whole thing. He once told me he would be interested in helping bicycling. (I can do this if I get the go ahead from WBN).
  • WBN contacts Mayor Dean. Dean seems very supportive of our cause and could maybe help us kill this behind the scenes. Freddie would do this.
  • WBN contact TDOT, maybe Ed or Jeanne. Hopefully, Commissioner Nicely can let Rep. Moore know that TDOT will oppose this bill. Could Bob Murphy do this?
  • Someone contact our state senator who I am embarrassed to say I don't know who they are right now. Maybe David Kleinfelter.
  • I know one avid cyclists who lives on River Rd. that might be willing to call Rep. Moore. Should I see if he will call?
If it looks like the bill is progressing, we can offer an alternative by recommending a revision to vehicle code 55-8-123 that would add a 2 minute rule where a slow moving vehicle (10 mph or more under speed limit) would be required to pull over if another vehicle is behind for more than two minutes. That way we would be addressing cyclists who impede traffic, but not creating a law that specifically targets cyclists. I will paste the current code in red below as well as some other codes that might be pertinent to this bill and the lawful means of sharing the roadway.

Best,

Glen

55-8-154. Minimum speed regulation — Turnouts — Passing bays — Penalties
(a)  No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. (note this says motor vehicle)
(b)  Whenever the department of transportation or a local authority within its respective jurisdiction determines on the basis of an engineering and traffic investigation that slow speeds on any part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the department or local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
(c)  Wherever there exists, at or near the top of any hill or grade, a turnout, passing bay or parking area adjacent to and to the right of any traffic lane of any state or federal highway within the state, any person driving or operating a truck or other slow-moving vehicle upon such traffic lane shall drive the truck or other slow-moving vehicle into and stop the same upon the turnout, passing bay or parking area and permit faster-moving vehicles following the truck or other slow-moving vehicle whose progress is being retarded to pass; provided, that the turnout, passing bay or parking area is marked by a traffic sign.

55-8-117. Overtaking a vehicle on the left. —
The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions and special rules hereinafter stated:
     (1)  The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle; and
     (2)  Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of the overtaken vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

55-8-119. Limitations on overtaking on the left. —
No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, unless the left side is clearly visible and is free from oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the safe operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle overtaken. In every event the overtaking vehicle must return to the right-hand side of the roadway before coming within one hundred feet (100¢) of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.

55-8-123. Driving on roadways laned for traffic. —
Whenever any roadway has been divided into two (2) or more clearly marked lanes for traffic, the following rules, in addition to all others consistent with this section, shall apply:
(4)  (A)  Where passing is unsafe because of traffic in the opposite direction or other conditions, a slow-moving vehicle, including a passenger vehicle, behind which five (5) or more vehicles are formed in line, shall turn or pull off the roadway wherever sufficient area exists to do so safely, in order to permit vehicles following it to proceed. As used in this subdivision (4), a slow-moving vehicle is one which is proceeding at a rate of speed that is ten (10) miles per hour or more below the lawful maximum speed for that particular roadway at that time.

Jan 16, 2009, 4:33:24 PM1/16/09
to TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com
I've been lurking, waiting to see what the politically more experienced
and successful members advised. In the meantime a couple of the Fogbees
have sent their own emails and one received the following reply from
Mike McDonald. He represents part of Sumner County. I have not fired my
salvo to Diane Black and Debra Maggart yet but will tonight unless
someone suggest otherwise.
Bruce
> I emailed my state representative, Mike McDonald, and received the
> following response:
>
> Dear Mr. Lewis,
>
> Thank you for you recent email regarding House Bill 95. I am opposed
> to any bill that would ban bicycle riding on public roads or streets.
> I will do what I can to help defeat this legislation. Please keep me
> informed regarding the status of the legislation and I'll be glad to help
>
> Anytime I may be of assistance to you or your family, please do not
> hesitate to contact me.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Mike McDonald

Bud Curtis

Jan 16, 2009, 5:12:48 PM1/16/09
to Thomas F. O'Connell, Glen Wanner, Leslie Thompson, Carr, Stephen, Meehan, Leslie (MPO), TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com, Steven Sondheim, Jayne Gordon, Ann Richards, Austin Bauman, Bob Murphy, David Kleinfelter, tagr...@gmail.com, Shana Culberson, Jane Lacy, John Houghton, Jeff Themm, Sean Davies, Shannon K Hornsby, Thad Hoffman, Bruce Day, Jeff Sammons, Keith Webb, Kelley Segars, Pat Clements, Philip Pugliese, Tom Evans, William Anderson, Adetokunbo Omishakin, John Norris

Of the Harpeth Bike Club’s 640+ members, 230 members are Davidson County residents.  HBC has a vested interest in keeping this road and others in Metro Nashville open to cyclists.  HBC will involve our membership as needed.

Bud

Bud Curtis

HBC President

Jan 16, 2009, 6:18:01 PM1/16/09
to TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't start the big guns just yet. If you have a relationship with a
state rep or senator, by all means, let them know that this may be on the
horizon. Maybe they could help kill it before it even gets to the
transportation committee.

Again, most bills that are introduced never even get to a floor vote. While
this might be a good opportunity to unite cyclists across the state, we
could also create some enemies.

I'd just keep our cool and get to work behind the scenes.

I am pretty busy with other things right now, so maybe someone on this list
could figure out how to track this bill so we know if it comes up for a
committee hearing and so on.

Glen

Nik the Stik

Jan 19, 2009, 5:46:16 AM1/19/09
to Tennessee Bicycling Advocates
All,

I sent Walter Finch at LAB an email on Friday as well as Rep. Mike
McDonald. Walter's email is walter @bikeleague.org.

One of my thoughts on the bill is that with River being SR 251 and SR
249 is that once a SR roadway is successfully restricted to cyclists,
the precedent is set for any SR to be targeted.

I think we should follow this one very close (in a more active, not
passive, approach) and, throughout the steps it needs to take during
assembly meetings (as noted by Glen, the action has a few steps to
take before becoming law), have several of us, as a collective body,
at the capitol.

Another thought is that Gary Moore heard from his constituency, and
drafted the bill for introduction. He may or may not be anti-cycling,
but he did the right thing by his electorate. It is up to us to
firmly, but respectfully, put it to sleep. While it could have been
spurred by an angry anti-cycling citizen, I'd like to see our
direction come from the angle of communication: What was the reason
for the bill? What research was done beforehand? What can we
cyclists do, as a proactive collective, to assuage the residents who
voiced their concern? Those are the kinds of questions, answered
respectfully to any anti-cycling person, that will gain the cycling
community more regard.

Let's face it, if you are here (at TBA), you are a responsible cyclist
(at least I hope so). Yet, the action could have come from the
irresponsibility of one or more cyclists--intention of the cyclist not
a point here because we all have made innocent mistakes both in the
saddle or behind the wheel. This is a great opportunity for us to
step up with a plan to enact responsibility enforcement, kind of a
self-policing.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Nik (Tim)

On Jan 15, 7:02 pm, "Glen Wanner" <glen.wan...@vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
> River Road is not included in the original Strategic Plan for Sidewalk and Bikeways and I doubt it is in the new one. My thinking is that it is very rural and does not serve logical destinations for most cyclists so it was not a high priority for cycling facilities. However, it is popular for recreational riding and is included in our book Bicycling Middle Tennessee. I know several clubs also use it.
>
> Everyone should oppose this state bill banning cycling. The speed limits are set so motorists have plenty of time to identify cyclists ahead. State law requires the overtaking motorists to insure the safety of all others. If cyclists are unduly impeding traffic, there are laws that should address that. This is simply a law to get the damn cyclists out of the way so angry motorists can drive faster.
>
> A similar attempt occurred in Wilson County but it was passed by the local county commission who later overturned on advice from their legal council. Since this is a state bill, this one might work.
>
> We really need to mount a state-wide effort on this one. We should probably get in touch with the League of American Bicyclists in that they could at least offer advice if not other assistance.
>
> Unfortunately, we do not have a state-wide advocacy organization so the effort should be spear-headed by local advocates, but we will needs lot of help from others around the state. Since the legislative session has just started, the bill will have to go to committee first before it goes to a full vote. I think the State Senate would need to pass a similar bill and then the governor would have to sign it. Thus, we have several opportunities to kill the bill--the sooner the better.
>
> Glen Wanner
> Walk/Bike Nashville

Bud Curtis

Jan 19, 2009, 10:01:18 AM1/19/09
to TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com
The HBC faced an issue in Williamson County in 2007 in which anti-cycling folks tried to get certain roads restricted to cyclists in the county. The issue was addressed at a commissioners meeting by the HBC in an objective calm professional manner with facts and understanding. The opposition's presentation was subjective and emotional. The result was non action on the part of the commissioners. Additionally, the diverse membership of HBC encompasses many non-cycling individuals throughout the community in which the elected officials serve. Usually, the elected officials will react positively to the methodical persuasion of a larger number of constituents than the ranting of a few disgruntled citizens.

The HBC is in the process of identifying our members who live with in Mr. Moore's district. We support the idea of an initial meeting with Mr. Moore to determine the reason for his introduction of the bill would be beneficial before we react.

Bud

Bud Curtis
HBC President

615-687-2829 Phone
615-687-2830 Fax
bcu...@cbjw.net
www.cbjw.net

Thomas F. O'Connell

Jan 21, 2009, 11:00:55 AM1/21/09
to da...@kleinfelter.com, JTH...@aol.com, JNorr...@aol.com, tagr...@gmail.com, glen....@vanderbilt.edu, leslieann...@yahoo.com, Stephe...@zeitlinrealtors.com, Leslie...@nashville.gov, TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com, bcu...@cbjw.net, stevens...@yahoo.com, a...@ajgordon.com, annric...@bellsouth.net, austin...@gmail.com, bobm...@rpmtraffic.net, imba...@yahoo.com, Jane...@state.tn.us, john_h...@gspnet.com, seans...@gmail.com, shannon...@gmail.com, j5mar...@gmail.com, bru...@comcast.net, jcs...@yahoo.com, ke...@jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org, kelley...@knoxtrans.org, p...@patclements.com, ppug...@outdoorchattanooga.com, t...@evanscenter.com, jus...@comcast.net, Adetokunbo...@nashville.gov
Wow! Congratulations, Toks!

This is great news!

--
Freddie O'Connell
President, Walk/Bike Nashville

On Jan 21, 2009, at 9:54 AM, David Kleinfelter wrote:

Hot off the presses.  I wanted to tell everyone before, but couldn't!

MAYOR APPOINTS BICYLE/PEDESTRIAN COORDINATOR

Work to include coordinating efforts of recently formed Bike/Ped Advisory Committee

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Mayor Karl Dean announced today he has appointed a Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator for the Mayor's Office. Toks Omishakin, currently the Bicycle and Pedestrian Planner for the Metro Planning Department, is moving to the Mayor's Office.

The appointment follows an update to the Strategic Plan for Sidewalks and Bikeways, initiated by the mayor shortly after taking office in the fall of 2007. Dean also recently appointed a Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) to assist in the implementation of the updated sidewalks and bikeways plan and other efforts to make Nashville a more walkable and bikeable city.

"My goal is to transform Nashville into one of the most walkable and bikeable cities in the country, and to do that will take consistent effort and coordination from my office," Dean said. "Toks brings to my office the right experience and expertise in this area. I look forward to what I know he will be able to help us accomplish."

Omishakin will work with various Metro and State departments on policy issues related to pedestrians and cyclists, including coordinating efforts of the BPAC.

During his tenure with Metro Planning, Omishakin spent five years managing Music City Moves, a community partnership committed to community design that supports active lifestyles. He also worked on bicycle and pedestrian issues for Nashville's 14 planning communities, and on the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Sidewalks and Bikeways, which was originally completed in 2003.

Omishakin holds a master's degree in urban and regional planning from Jackson State University in Mississippi. He is a member of the American Planning Association (APA) and a long-time member of the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals.

As an expert on street design and multi-modal transportation issues, Omishakin has frequently been called upon to present at national conferences, including the National APA Conference, International Pro Walk/Pro Bike Conference and the American Public Transportation Association Conference.

###

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM, <JTH...@aol.com> wrote:
The following quote was in today's Tennessean "Dean also said he'll announce this week that he's adding a staff member to work on bikeways and sidewalks in tandem with the new Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee".
We need to bring this person up to date on the River Rd situation.  Anyone know who he will appoint to the position?

In a message dated 1/18/2009 5:58:33 P.M. Central Standard Time, JNorrisLaw writes:
It's worth pointing out that River Road has a number of dead end side streets and is not on a bus route.  If bikes are banned, this means anyone who lives on River Road or one of these side streets will have to get to work, shopping, etc. by car or by foot.  The narrow shoulders and distances involved make walking problematic.  So for someone who can't afford a car, or chooses to live without a car (and shouldn't we all support that choice in any reasonable way), or can't drive for any of several reasons, including the loss of his/her driving privileges, it's either bum a ride with a friend or try and come with twenty bucks for a cab.  This bill discriminates against the poor, is anti-environment and will lead to illegal driving.  It is an ill-advised attempt to solve a problem that is either non-existent or trivial.

Bruce Day

Jan 21, 2009, 11:25:44 AM1/21/09
to TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com
I don't know Toks Omishakin but from the response it would seem he's a bit of alright.  In the past  many of these positions have filled with in name only people.  It's great to have people like Kelly, Bud and Phillip and apparently Toks with both titles and passion.
Hendersonville is having a charrette this week pertaining to Land use and Transportation. I'm off to the Bike Ped and Greenway sections today. However it is open to all pretty much from 9a-6:30 p Friday and Sat, Hendersonville Public Library. Anyone who wants to have input is welcome. teh 6:30 Pinup is to be a wrap and open forum.
Bruce

Bud Curtis

Jan 21, 2009, 4:26:24 PM1/21/09
to annric...@bellsouth.net, da...@kleinfelter.com, JTH...@aol.com, David Kleinfelter, JNorr...@aol.com, tagr...@gmail.com, glen....@vanderbilt.edu, leslieann...@yahoo.com, Stephe...@zeitlinrealtors.com, t...@alumni.brown.edu, Leslie...@nashville.gov, TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com, stevens...@yahoo.com, a...@ajgordon.com, austin...@gmail.com, bobm...@rpmtraffic.net, imba...@yahoo.com, Jane...@state.tn.us, john_h...@gspnet.com, seans...@gmail.com, shannon...@gmail.com, j5mar...@gmail.com, bru...@comcast.net, jcs...@yahoo.com, ke...@jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org, kelley...@knoxtrans.org, p...@patclements.com, ppug...@outdoorchattanooga.com, t...@evanscenter.com, jus...@comcast.net, Adetokunbo...@nashville.gov

The Harpeth Bike Club congratulates you, Toks.  Let us know how we can help.

Bud

Bud Curtis

HBC President

Bud

Bud Curtis

Sales Manager

Please be advised that insurance coverage cannot be bound or altered until reviewed by a licensed agent during regular business hours.

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

Mar 27, 2009, 8:18:09 PM3/27/09
to TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com

Bruce Day

Mar 27, 2009, 9:51:32 PM3/27/09
to TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com
http://wdef.com/video/hamilton_county_chattanooga_plan_3_foot_bicycle_law_enforcement_education/03/2009

One must note that it does not take Sherlock Holmes to deduce that a
cyclists struck by an overtaking car has violated the law. In David
Meek's case there were witnesses. Still, this is positive and bicycle
friendly news.
Bruce

Tom Evans

Mar 30, 2009, 8:30:18 AM3/30/09
to TNBikeA...@googlegroups.com, bike-ped...@googlegroups.com

All,

I have been looking for cases where the 3-foot law has been enforced.  I found two.  However, they were enforced against the cyclist!

Tom Evans (aka Tennessee Tom)

Wisconsin 3 foot law penalizes cyclists who ride in the door zone

http://www.bicyclelaw.com/articles/a.cfm/legally-speaking-a-tale-of-two-cities-and1

In most U.S. states, drivers and occupants of cars and trucks are required to check behind them for traffic before opening their doors.

In Chicago, motorists can be fined up to $500 for dooring a cyclist. Chicago cyclists can travel just a few miles north into Wisconsin, though, to find the completely opposite situation: Doored cyclists can be cited for breaking Wisconsin law.

In Wisconsin, cyclists are required to ride at least three feet away from parked or standing vehicles. And amazingly, there's no law in Wisconsin against opening your door into traffic.

Cyclists should ride away from the door zone, but a law that specifically targets cyclists is discriminatory. State legislators recently introduced bills to change Wisconsin state law to fine motorists who open their doors into traffic, and rescind the existing 3-foot law. Read details in the Wisconsin State Journal.