SysML use in construction industry?

Thomas Wingate

May 28, 2008, 1:17:49 PM5/28/08
to SysML Forum
Dear group,

Do any of you know or have heard of SysML being used to model building systems
in the construction-industry (parametric building design, logistics/processes, etc)?

/Thomas Wingate

Tim Weilkiens

May 28, 2008, 1:57:58 PM5/28/08
to SysML...@googlegroups.com
No, but depending on your concrete requirements and project context it is
a useful way. Do you have more information about the project?

Tim

Tim Weilkiens (tim.we...@oose.de)
Head of Systems Engineering
OMG Representative, INCOSE member

oose Innovative Informatik GmbH
Tower Falkenried-Piazza, Straßenbahnring 7, D-20251 Hamburg, Germany
HRB 66648 Amtsgericht Hamburg, USt-Id DE191433946
CEO Bernd Schröder-Oestereich, Christian Weiss
Phone: +49 (40) 41 42 50-0, Fax: +49 (40) 41 42 50-50
Internet: www.oose.de, E-Mail: off...@oose.de

Thomas Wingate

May 28, 2008, 2:47:20 PM5/28/08
to SysML...@googlegroups.com
Develop product platforms & standardized processes for Skanska residential
development in Scandinavia. It does seem to make a lot of sense, but
unfortunately limited in how much I can divulge..

/T

edi...@sysmlforum.com

May 28, 2008, 5:17:01 PM5/28/08
to SysML...@googlegroups.com
> Do any of you know or have heard of SysML being used to model building systems
> in the construction-industry (parametric building design, logistics/processes, etc)?

FYI According to the online poll results on SysML Forum (www.SysMLforum.com), which show responses to the question "Which industry/industries are you applying, or plan to apply, SysML modeling technologies?" the following industries rank at the top: 1) Aerospace & Defense (28%); 2) Information Technology (14%); 3 & 4) Automotive & Telecom (tied at 9%); and 5) Consumer Industries/Electronics (7%).

While this is an unscientific online poll, the results are consistent with my SysML experience and observations. For example, if you look at the composition of the SysML Partners (http://www.sysml.org/partners.htm), who defined the original SysML open source specification, you will find that aerospace/defense contractors dominate among the non-tool vendor participants

Although the Construction industry was not listed as a choice in the poll, Property was, and it ranked at the bottom with 0%. Of course, nothing that I have said here indicates that SysML cannot be applied effectively to Construction applications. However, there appears to be little evidence that this has happened yet in a significant and visible manner.

/Cris

Cris Kobryn
Editor, SysML Forum
edi...@SysMLforum.com

NEIL, Graeme

May 28, 2008, 7:21:56 PM5/28/08
to SysML...@googlegroups.com
Truthfully virtually any modelling notation can be applied to any
problem. The question is not whether SysML is applicable to the
Construction Industry because at some level it is.

I suspect that what you are asking is can you model the processes that
are used in the systems that are used both in the construction of a
building. The short answer is yes you can, but should you use SysMl or
indeed Structured Analysis techniques in truth that is a decision that
you as the designer must make. Only after you have gathered the needs
and requirements and undertaken some analysis can you choose which
modelling technique you should use.

Regards

Graeme T. Neil
Senior Systems Architect
Data & Lifecycle Management
BAE Systems Australia
Phone +61 8 8480 7943
Mobile +61 414 568 802
Fax +61 8 8480 8342

May 28, 2008, 11:52:46 PM5/28/08
to SysML...@googlegroups.com
Thomas,

Here's a short analysis. First, let me say that I am an Aerospace kinda
guy. I have worked just about every aspect of it spending about 20 years in
the Skunkworks and beyond. I am also a Enterprise Architect and specialize
in interoperability and NetCentric Operations. Most recently I have been
helping out in Disaster Relief and Recovery as well. The answer to your
question is that no, I haven't heard of it being used yet and it's probably
because SysML spec has only been out about a year. Second part is most
definitely it can apply. Especially when the construction looks at the
larger "Enterprise" context which would apply to more than the construction
of the building itself but the infrastructure of the environment such as
urban planning, green enterprise application and those things that are
beyond cement and wires.

My first recommendation is to read Tim's book (System Engineering with
SysML/UML). If I was given the task of "parametric building design, etc.,",
I would view the task using Tim's SysMOD process. It's not an end all, but
it's a start. Secondly, I would look at some the advances in "Green
Enterprise Architecture". These are those initiatives that could be applied
to help the construction domain with the rapid advances of the green
enterprise. I think that it's very useful to view these things from the
domain of the customer that "wants to do the right thing" for the
environment. This is where the SysML modeling tools can help a bunch.

Anyway, just wanted to give you some thoughts.

Frank

--
Frank C. Alvidrez
Chief Enterprise Architect

DIET...@forces.gc.ca

May 29, 2008, 9:24:07 AM5/29/08
to SysML...@googlegroups.com
Whatever the industry or problem space, I would agree with Graeme below and recommend that a preliminary requirements analysis be done to determine whether your specific problem space is primarily object, function, or state oriented, and then choose your modelling tools accordingly.

As illustrations, if you are conducting detailed building design as a complex system of systems, then that might be facilitated nicely by SysML. Logistics or other process modelling may most simply and cleanly be done using dedicated process notations such as IDEF, whereas the good old elevator control system design problem might best be done using Entity-Life Modelling, or a state-based method and notation.

Pete Dietert
Captain, CD, rmc, BEng (Phys), MS-SWSE
Department of National Defence
Chief of Air Staff / Directorate of Air Programmes 7
Air Synthetic Training Systems
ATTN: D Air Prog 7-3-2
National Defence Headquarters
Major-General George R. Pearkes Building
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0K2

Phone: 613-949-9040 (400 Cumberland Bldg - 6D20B)
Fax: 613-998-9235 (400 Cumberland Bldg - 6th Floor)
Alt Phone: 613-520-2600 ext. 4593 (Carleton U - VSIM Bldg Rm 2222)
diet...@forces.gc.ca
diet...@rogers.com
(*www.SysMLforum.com), which show responses to the question "Which
industry/industries are you applying, or plan to apply, SysML modeling
technologies?" the following industries rank at the top: 1) Aerospace &
Defense (28%); 2) Information Technology (14%); 3 & 4) Automotive &
Telecom (tied at 9%); and 5) Consumer Industries/Electronics (7%).

While this is an unscientific online poll, the results are consistent
with my SysML experience and observations. For example, if you look at
the composition of the SysML Partners
(*http://*www.sysml.org/partners.htm), who defined the original SysML open

Alex Murray

Jul 13, 2008, 12:47:09 AM7/13/08
to SysML...@googlegroups.com
Thomas,
I'm not at all familiar with the construction or civil engineering fields, and I wouldn't be surprised if this list is not exactly bristling with architects and civil engineers. But I've often wondered what kinds of techniques people in the industry use to plan and execute large buildings and other civil projects.

Surely architecture has well-developed design methods, including graphical languages, that long predate UML and SysML - it begs the question - what could SysML offer? Can you give us a sketch of how people in the field have do this in common practice now? Maybe there is an opportunity for applications of SysML.

-Alex

Aug 11, 2008, 1:45:47 PM8/11/08
to SysML...@googlegroups.com
Alex,

Maybe this tutorial site could answer your question of how SysML can be used in the system engineering context.

The tutorial movie sample is also available at

Hope this helps!
Rattanawan
--
Rattanawan Rattakul