Origins of ABTs?

THEBB...@aol.com

Dec 28, 2007, 10:48:38 AM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Hey brain trust...  Gotta question for you...

I've been contacted by a word researcher about the origins of the recipe and name of Atomic Buffalo Turds...  Does anyone posses that knowledge?  I was thinking that Big Wheel had something to do with it but I've gone through a lot of pain meds and no longer trust my own gray matter these days... <G><

Thanks in advance...

Rock

Jon Stine

Dec 28, 2007, 11:06:50 AM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Another great question!  My wife hates it when I shorten them to turds, but loves the results!

Jon

John Mitchell

Dec 28, 2007, 11:14:14 AM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Rock, The first I heard of them was on the old (Thread List).
He called them "Cowtown Wolf Turds".
He may have gotten the recipe else where.

Robert King

Dec 28, 2007, 11:21:11 AM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I've always called them Wolf Turds as long as I can remember. They do look like wolf turds.  I thought Atomic Buffalo Turds were made with Hab's. I think the name got crossed somehow.

Robert King

THEBB...@aol.com

Dec 28, 2007, 12:14:28 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
In a message dated 12/28/2007 9:26:17 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, rk...@kingsq.com writes:
I've always called them Wolf Turds as long as I can remember. They do look like wolf turds.  I thought Atomic Buffalo Turds were made with Hab's. I think the name got crossed somehow.

Robert King

My thoughts were along the same line, Robert.  But do you remember if the cow town variety were of Big Wheel's own design, or did it hale from somewhere else?  Also, who was it that first used the habs to make them atomic?

Thanks

Rock

THEBB...@aol.com

Dec 28, 2007, 12:15:26 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
In a message dated 12/28/2007 9:15:12 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, mitch...@comcast.net writes:
Rock, The first I heard of them was on the old (Thread List).
He called them "Cowtown Wolf Turds".
He may have gotten the recipe else where.

Thanks...

Rock

Sherman Watkins

Dec 28, 2007, 12:30:23 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Me too.
It was years before I heard them called anything but Cowtown WTs.
That's how I have them in my recipe index and BW was the source.
The Atomic version sort of evolved as I recall. Sort of a, "Ya but
have ya....," kind of thing.

--
Sherm

Ed Hood

Dec 28, 2007, 12:32:06 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I found the following in an email from an earlier list dated September, 2000.  Hope this helps...

Ed
Kansas

__________________________

I am not Bigwheel, but I play him on Television. Here is the recipe for
Cowtown Wolf and Dragon Turds, just so there is no mistake, it is
Bigwheel's recipe not mine. I am simply posting it, as Bigwheel is most
likely sipping an adult brew and otherwise occupied.

Regards

Smoking in Chicago,
Gary
__________________________
Dec 28, 2007, 1:14:13 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure it was BigWheel but I'm going off memory and the only thing I can remember for sure is my anniversary since it's engraved on my ring <g>.

I remember when somebody used the habs but just can't remember who it was. I almost think it was Bigwheel also but that I'm not sure.

Robert King

Dave Peckham

Dec 28, 2007, 1:29:51 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Go here http://65.98.53.239/klose/ and ask BigWheel himself. He's not
bashful! :o)
Dave

Dec 28, 2007, 2:13:54 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Sent off list.

Robert King

Henry Bacarisse

Dec 28, 2007, 3:02:56 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
You might check out this very recent article (12/26/2007) on just this same subject.

May be more information than you want or need, but it is about "ABTs".

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/atomic_buffalo_turds_or_abts_bacon_wrapped_stuffed_jalapenos/#When:09:41:00Z
Henry Bacarisse - "Comments from a Pilgrim in the QUE"
Please visit: http://mydatastor.com/
If you need some inspiration, you might look here:
http://maplewood-church-of-christ.org/  -  http://gbntv.org/

buzz

Dec 28, 2007, 5:36:47 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

Jeff <big>wheeler gets my vote as the orignator of the original version with
pork loin
\
Buzz

> Hey brain trust... Gotta question for you...
>
> I've been contacted by a word researcher about the origins of the recipe
> and
> name of Atomic Buffalo Turds... Does anyone posses that knowledge? I
> was
> thinking that Big Wheel had something to do with it but I've gone through
> lot of pain meds and no longer trust my own gray matter these days...
> <G><
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Rock

jmagoo999

Dec 28, 2007, 6:02:30 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
bigwheel did originate the Wolf Turds and the next email from Meathead
seems to indicate that he (meathead) at least influenced  the Buffalo Turds.
What you think?
Jack C.

05 Aug 2007    "Craig \"Meathead\" Goldwyn" ribme...@amazingribs.com

One-Eyed JALAPENO POPPERS

A couple of weeks ago I asked you guys for ideas for what to do with my
bountiful Jalapeno harvest, and most of you suggested a variation of stuffed
Jalapenos, such as Jalapeno Poppers or Atomic Buffalo Turds.

As the three bushes we planted got heavy, I got busy. I took your ideas,
looked up a lot of other recipes, tried some variations, and I've come up
with a variation of my own you folks might want to try.

I played with some different fillings, and mixing cream cheese with cheddar
worked best for me. The harder cheese kept things firmer, not too runny,
and gave it a nice flavor and color. As to seasonings, I played with using
barbecue rub, but most were too sweet and made the cheese look muddy,
so I used my recipe for Home-made Boursin-style Cheese Spread.  Perfect!

ABT recipes usually call for wrapping jalapenos with raw bacon, holding it
in place with toothpicks, and cooking it. That was too much of a pain for me
and dealing with the picks was a pain for my guests. Besides, the dripping
grease caused flareups on my grill. My dog sure liked the grease pan, but
got it all over her forehead. So I pre-cooked the bacon and put it in the filling.

Another problem was that the cheese sometimes melted and gooshed out the
stem end. I solved the problem by using a pimento-stuffed olive as a plug.
It's not only functional, it tastes great and gave the recipe its name.

The final recipe for my One-Eyed Jalapeno Poppers is at
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/side_dishes/jalapeno_poppers.html

Check it out, try it, and let me know what you think.
Meathead

END

Kurt Lucas

Dec 28, 2007, 7:28:24 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

Rock,

I asked bigwheel, and this is his reply:

It's a long story. An old boy named Mike Gunter who lived around here come into the local watering hole one day with some grilled Japs wrapped in bacon and stuffed with super thin soy marinated pork loin strips rolled up like a newspaper. We ate em up like little piglets of course. The story was he got the recipe out of some unknown magazine but there wasnt no name for em. So..I named em Cowtown Wolf Turds and started spreading the recipe as Mike described it. Always giving him full credit of course. There was another fella up in Amarillo named Wiley "Coyote" Mixon..a proud Klose owner might I add..who say he had been making the same type thing since Old Shep was still a pup but he stuffed his with cream cheese instead of pork loin..and his didnt have no name either. Think we come to a gentlemanly type agreement that he would call his Atomic Buffalo Turds..whilst the loin stuffed variety would remain to be called Cowtown Wolf Turds. Seems like the ABT terminology was a bit more catchy to cover the entire genre of such things..which where either of em came from originally I aint got a clue. Figger they was invented by some drunk injun or guest worker back in the good old days. Have floated down the old Whiskey River a few times since all that was going on:) Aint heard from the old Coyote in quite some time but he used to post on here fairly often. Hoping he still kicking and doing well. Thats about all I know on the topic then folks started using Habs instead of Japs and they got turned into Atomic Dragon Turds or some such thing. It's all good and as King Solomon was sometimes heard saying...There aint nothing new under the sun..paraphrasing of course:)

bigwheel

Kurt

Hey brain trust...  Gotta question for you...

Robert King

Dec 28, 2007, 8:42:49 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Don't think so.

Robert King

Lucy Baker

Dec 28, 2007, 9:02:16 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Well, what the hell heck does that mean?
Lucy

Kurt Lucas

Dec 28, 2007, 9:30:46 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

I’m with you Robert on this one. I think Craig just ran with someone elses idea (bigwheels).

Kurt

Dec 28, 2007, 11:35:06 PM12/28/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
That's what I meant but I was pulling a "Jess"

Robert King

jjk

Dec 29, 2007, 1:39:29 AM12/29/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if there is collective knowledge, but I've heard them referred to as buffalo poppers, jalapeno poppers and various and sundry things.  Here's my recipe:

Split and seed a jalapleno
Make sure you take out all the ribs for all the sissys
Stuff with stuffing of your choice (I used grilled terayki shrimp mixed with cream cheese, but some use sausage or other meats).
Smoke for an hour or an hour and a half
Serve . . . .
--
JJK
CH # 1149

jkn...@cox.net

Gary Wiviott

Dec 29, 2007, 10:00:01 AM12/29/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Rock,

First reference I have for Cowtown Wolf Turds is July 2000 from
Bigwheel and used pork tenderloin. He had a few variations, Dragon
Turds, Cowtown Pregnant Wolf Turd and Cowtown Pregnant Virgin Turds.
(recipes below) My current variations are dried date with chorizo and
dried fig with Italian sausage, bacon wrapped of course.

Enjoy,
Gary

=-=-=-=-==\\\\

Posted to the Porch BBQ List 7/30/2000

Cowtown Wolf Turds
By Bigwheel

30-40 Fresh jalapenos (large ones)
1 raw pork tenderloin. (may substitute loin)
1lb bacon
soy sauce
lemon pepper.

Slice pork loin into thin wafers
Marinate in soy sauce.
Split, seed and devein peppers*
Stuff peppers with pork slices.
Wrap with half slice of bacon and pierce with toothpick.**
Dust with lemon pepper seasoning.
Grill or smoke till done.

Cowtown Dragon Turds
Substitute habanero peppers.

* heat can be adjusted by removing the veins in the peppers.
* The next time I make them I will use bamboo skewers and leave a space
between them. When serving cut between turds. This should speed up the
labor process.

==xx==xx
Bought a pound of ground pork.
Marinated it with a little soy sauce.
Stuffed some jalapeno peppers with it and then inserted a garlic
clove. I call these Bigwheel's Cowtown Pregnant Wolf Turds.

=-=-=-

I also stuffed a couple of cherry peppers with the same thing.
I call these Bigwheel's Cowtown Pregnant Virgin Turds. <G>

===--xxxx===--//

THEBB...@aol.com

THEBB...@aol.com

Dec 30, 2007, 2:47:07 AM12/30/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
In a message dated 12/28/2007 3:37:55 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, 2fa...@charter.net writes:
Jeff wheeler gets my vote as the orignator of the original version with
pork loin

Buzz

Thanks, Buzz...  Any idea about the time line on that?

Rock

THEBB...@aol.com

Dec 30, 2007, 2:52:45 AM12/30/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
In a message dated 12/28/2007 4:02:57 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, jmag...@comcast.net writes:
bigwheel did originate the Wolf Turds and the next email from Meathead
seems to indicate that he (meathead) at least influenced  the Buffalo Turds.
What you think?
Jack C.
I think that Big Wheel gets the credit here...  Meathead can believe what he wants.  <G><

Rock

THEBB...@aol.com

Dec 30, 2007, 2:55:45 AM12/30/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
In a message dated 12/28/2007 5:26:54 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, lifes...@comcast.net writes:

[...]

Thanks, Kurt!  Is this a recent reply?  No need for him to repeat it to me if it is...

Thanks again!

Rock

THEBB...@aol.com

Dec 30, 2007, 2:58:17 AM12/30/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
In a message dated 12/28/2007 11:41:47 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, jkn...@cox.net writes:
I don't know if there is collective knowledge, but I've heard them referred to as buffalo poppers, jalapeno poppers and various and sundry things.  Here's my recipe:

Split and seed a jalapleno
Make sure you take out all the ribs for all the sissys
Stuff with stuffing of your choice (I used grilled terayki shrimp mixed with cream cheese, but some use sausage or other meats).
Smoke for an hour or an hour and a half
Serve . . . .

Thanks.  And you're right, they're known by various monikers.  But they had to start somewhere...  <G><

Rock

THEBB...@aol.com

Dec 30, 2007, 3:00:58 AM12/30/07
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
In a message dated 12/29/2007 8:00:34 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, wivio...@gmail.com writes:
Rock,

First reference I have for Cowtown Wolf Turds is July 2000 from
Bigwheel and used pork tenderloin. He had a few variations, Dragon
Turds, Cowtown Pregnant Wolf Turd and Cowtown Pregnant Virgin Turds.
(recipes below) My current variations are dried date with chorizo and
dried fig with Italian sausage, bacon wrapped of course.

Enjoy,
Gary

Thanks, Prof!  Tis greatly appreciated!

I'm also looking forward to trying your current twist...  Sounds like a good mix of sweet, salt, and spice...

Rock