Is this Sinhala Unicode!

Donald Gaminitillake

Mar 14, 2006, 7:15:03 PM3/14/06
to Sinhala...@googlegroups.com
Please see the chart that SLSI 1134 has registered with Unicode.
If you think this is unicode for Sinhala in 50 years we will not have
the language Sinhala.
Very pathetic situvation for Sinhala Language users.

I will ask few questions please give the unicode 4 digits as answers.

No other explanation required or accepted.

Eg for "Ayanna" = 0D85

Where is "KU" "REPAYA" "YANSAYA" "LU" "Kayanna badhi shayanna" to
write the name of our President Rajapaksha.

slsiencode.jpg
slsiencode.jpg

සපුමල් ජයරත්න

Mar 15, 2006, 1:59:45 AM3/15/06
to Sinhala...@googlegroups.com
> Where is "KU" "REPAYA" "YANSAYA" "LU" "Kayanna badhi shayanna" to
> write the name of our President Rajapaksha.

For write the name of the president we do not need above letters
except "Kayanna badhi shayanna". Please see the attached image (from
the Mahinda Chinthana .pdf version) in case you want to know how to
write the name of our President. I cannot see any "KU" "REPAYA"
"YANSAYA" or "LU" in the name. If you need these letters to write the
name of H.E Mahinda Rajapaksha then the problem is not related to
Unicode or SLS1134.

> No other explanation required or accepted.

Well, therefore the above explanation is not acceptable. Any other
also will not.

Thanks,
Sapumal.

mahinda.JPG

Anuradha Ratnaweera

Mar 15, 2006, 2:29:35 AM3/15/06
On 3/15/06, Donald Gaminitillake <lankap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please see the chart that SLSI 1134 has registered with Unicode.
> If you think this is unicode for Sinhala in 50 years we will not have
> the language Sinhala.
> Very pathetic situvation for Sinhala Language users.
>
> I will ask few questions please give the unicode 4 digits as answers.
>
> No other explanation required or accepted.

What's the basis for that 4 digit limit?

I know you are pretending not to understand, but I'm attaching a
screenshot anyways for your amusement... ;-)

Anuradha
--
http://www.linux.lk/~anuradha/
http://anuradha-ratnaweera.blogspot.com

donald.png

Prasad Gunaratne

Mar 15, 2006, 5:17:51 AM3/15/06
to Sinhala...@googlegroups.com
Good that Anuradha and Sapumal replied.
Donald I've visited your site before and it is full of misinformation.

First of all, your claim that list of words on http://www.akuru.org/position%20SlSI.htm is supported Sinhala Unicode.

The same page has following statement
<Quote>
One will not be able to use Sinhala in SMS , Voice to Text , OCR or GPS as all these applications will need an complete character allocation table. SLSI have not considered the TAMIL Language to be a part of this standard. How can the future students in Sri Lanka use a computer to learn Sinhala and Tamil Culture & Language or to reproduce written texts of great values.I need your help to voice this important issue. An issue to save both Sinhala and Tamil Languages in Sri Lanka.
</Quote>

1) I don't see any reason why current spec can't be supported in SMS, Voice to Text, OCR or GPS(whatever it is!)
2) SLS 1134 doesn't address Tamil and it clearly mentions so. Even a 5th grade school kid knows India has a Tamil population of at least 10 times of Sri Lanka. BTW does the Tamil unicode uses a code point each for every possible combination letter in their language?
3) you said, "I need your help" - Yes you DO NEED "some" help. I do agree with that :)

I also read some of your news paper articles (lakbima, lankadeepa) republished on your site. They also sing the same old story of 1660+ characters required for Sinhala. I think it is an alternative way to represent Sinhala. But what's it is going to achieve that current spec not? I am also surprised that you were able to "brain wash" some leading writers in Sri Lankan news papers, notably Chanuka Wattegama. If i am not mistaken he was Vidusara writer about a more than a decade ago and I used to like him. He's surely lost credibility being fooled by you.

I also read that you have a pending patent on some of your ideas? Is that why you dislike Unicode spec??

I can keep writing, so many other things, but I think it may be a waste of time.

Best regards
Prasad

Anuradha Ratnaweera

Mar 15, 2006, 6:37:57 AM3/15/06
On 3/15/06, Prasad Gunaratne <prasad.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also read some of your news paper articles (lakbima, lankadeepa)
> republished on your site. They also sing the same old story of 1660+
> characters required for Sinhala. I think it is an alternative way to
> represent Sinhala.

In fact, this 1660 characters don't include joined letters nor
touching letters, so the proposed "alternative" scheme is not at all
complete.

> I also read that you have a pending patent on some of your ideas? Is that
> why you dislike Unicode spec??

I think therein lies the whole mistery of why Mr Donald's brain cells
don't try to understand Unicode... ;-)

donald gaminitillake

Mar 17, 2006, 11:29:56 AM3/17/06
to සිංහල යුනිකොඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode
You all are bluffing the public. How long you are going to do it is the
problem.

You can create any number of jpg or gif images and on restricted fonts

What you have registered with unicode is incomplete set of sinhala
characters

You got to admit this fact and Sinhala unicode has to be corrected SLSI
1134 is incorrect.

Donald

Anuradha Ratnaweera

Mar 18, 2006, 4:15:30 AM3/18/06
On 3/17/06, donald gaminitillake <lankap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You all are bluffing the public. How long you are going to do it is the
> problem.

Let me ask you again. Is there a better system? If yes, what's it?

> You can create any number of jpg or gif images and on restricted fonts

What I sent you was PNG images, not JPEG nor GIF... ;-)

> What you have registered with unicode is incomplete set of sinhala
> characters
>
> You got to admit this fact and Sinhala unicode has to be corrected SLSI
> 1134 is incorrect.

You seem to be very capable of repeating the same sentenses again
again. Reminds me of a bird species... ;-)

You never answered all my questions or Harshua's. Just saying "the
world is flat" is not good enough. You need to go ahead and prove
it...!

When I asked what's your basis for that four digit limitation of your
earlier question, you never answered.

Just repeating "conclustions" is not considered intellectual
speacktalk. Read "Milinda Prashnaya" if you want to understand what
"intellectual talk" is... :-)

Anuradha Ratnaweera

Mar 18, 2006, 4:41:13 AM3/18/06
On 3/18/06, Anuradha Ratnaweera <gnu.sla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just repeating "conclustions" is not considered intellectual
> speacktalk. Read "Milinda Prashnaya" if you want to understand what
> "intellectual talk" is... :-)

Here is the related quote from Milinda Prashnaya (attached a
screenshot of the text in gedit for Mr Donald's amusement):

<quote>
නැවතත් රජ්ජුරුවෝ ස්‍වාමීයී, නාගසේන ස්ථිවිරයන් වහන්ස, නුඹ වහන්සේ මා හා
සමග කථාකරන සේක් දැ යි කීහ. මහරජාණෙනි, ඉදින් තෙපි පණ්ඩිතවාදයෙන් කථාකර
වූ නම් මමත් කථාකෙරෙමි යි ඉදින් රාජවාදයෙන් කථාකෙරේ නම් මම කථා නොකෙරෙමි
යි වදාළසේක. ස්වාමීනී, නාගසේනයන් වහන්ස, පණ්ඩිතයෝ කෙසේ කථා කෙරෙද්දැයි
විචාළෝය. මහ රජාණෙනි, පණ්ඩිතවරුන් ගේ කථාවෙහි ගම්භීරාර්ථ ඇති තද පද ගෙණ
රැහැනින් වෙලනාක් මෙන් වෙහෙස දී ආවෙඨනයත් කරනු ලැබෙති තදගැට මුදන්නාක්
මෙන් නො හැඟෙන අර්ථයන් තෙමේ ම තෝරා දෙමින් නිර්වෙඨනයත් කරනු ලැබෙයි. තමන්
විචාල අර්ථ ප්‍රශ්න තෝරා ලිය නොහෙන කල නැවත නැවතත් විචාරමින් නිග්‍රහත්
කරනු ලැබෙයි. එකට එක කිරීමෙන් ප්‍රතිකර්මත් කරනු ලැබෙයි. තමන් ම උසස්
කරන්නාක් මෙන් ප්‍රතිවෙධනයන් කරනු ලැබෙයි. එකල්හිද පණ්ඩිතයෝ නොකිපෙති යි
වදාල සේක. ස්වාමීනී රජහු කෙසේ කථා කෙරෙදෙදැයි කීය. මහරජාණෙනි, රජහු
වනාහී කථා කරන කල එක වස්තුවක් මෙ ලෙසයයි කියා දන්වති. යම් කෙනෙක් ඒ
කාරණය වරදවා කීයේ නම්, මොහුට දඬුවම් පණවව් කියා ඕහට දඬුවම් කරන්නට ආඥ
කෙරෙති. මහ රජාණෙනි රජ දරුවෝ මෙසේ කථා කෙරෙති යි වදාළ සේක.
</quote>

milinda-prashnaya.png

Prasad Gunaratne

Mar 18, 2006, 8:34:45 AM3/18/06
to Sinhala...@googlegroups.com
Herewith I have produced Donald's "impossible word list" in Windows notepad. Please see attached images. First attachment (mahinda.png) is our President's name typed in Notepad. In the second attachment (words.png ) on left hand side I have disgraceful webpage on akuru.org that claims some words are not possible in Sinhala Unicode. On the right hand side same words produced in Sinhala Notepad!!

Note that "touch letters" are not supported by Windows and there is a problem rendering "repaya" in Notepad (not sure if you guys could catch the bug). However both of these issues are not related to Unicode specification but Windows implementation.

I invite all of you (with brains) to be judges!

Best regards
Prasad
mahinda.PNG
words.PNG

නිරංජන්෴

Mar 18, 2006, 10:57:11 AM3/18/06
to සිංහල යුනිකොඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode
ඉංගිරිසියෙන් සිංහල වනන්නෝ
පරගැතිව බැලව සිටින්නෝ
යුනි මගට අකුල් හෙලන්නෝ
ලෙසමයි ගලේ පහරන්නෝ

හරියට යමක් නුගන්නෝ
මිසදිටුව කල ගෙවන්නෝ
යන තැනක යන්නෝ
මෙහේ නොම එන්නෝ

කවියක් ඉබේම කියවුණා ..

අපේ අත්තම්මාත් දැන් සිංහල
යුනිකෝඩ් වලින් එන
විලියුමි බලනවා, ලොකු අත්තා
ඉන්නේ ඦපානෙනේ,

මං ගමරාල

Mar 19, 2006, 2:03:49 PM3/19/06
to සිංහල යුනිකොඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode
සිංහල යුනිකෝඩ් වලින්
ඦනාධිතුමාගේ නම ලියන්ට බෑ
කියන්නේ කවුද ? ලියන ක්‍රම
දෙකක් තියනවා, කොහොම
ලිව්වත් යුනිකේතයට හැරවෙන
කොට දෙකම එකයි,

මහින්ද රාඦපක්ස පැරණි
සිංහල ක්‍රමයට රඦුන්ට
පක්සපාතිත්වය දක්වන්නා තමා
ඦන වහරෙන් යෙදෙන්නේ,
සඟිස්කුරුතය එකතු වෙනකොට
පක්ස කියන කොටස හැඩ ගැහිලා
පක්ෂ වනවා. පුස්කොල පොත්වල
ලියනකොට අකුරු බඳින නිසා
පක්ෂ ප්කෂ වනවා. හල් අකුර
හලලා බඳින එක දැන් කෙරෙන්නේ
නැහැ. පුරුද්දට ලියනවා.

එතුමාගේ නිල වියුණේ
ඉංග්‍රීසි බසින් තියෙන්නේ
Mahinda Rajapaksa කියලා.. මට තේරෙන
විදියට සිංහලෙන් රාඦපක්ස
කියන ඦන වහරේ ක්‍රමයට තමා ඒක
ලියලා තියෙන්නේ. බීබීසී එක
ලියන්නේ Rajapakse කියලා
සිංහල පත්තර වල රාඦ්කෂ
කියලා, ගම්වල අපි කියන්නේ
මහින්ද මහත්තයා කියලා,
පුරුද්දට, ඕකට අපි
රණ්ඩුවෙලා වැඩක් තියනවද ?
එතුමාටත් ඒක පුරශ්නයක්
නෙවි කොට.

මං මේ වෙලේ බලංගොඩ ආනන්ද
මෙත්‍රී හාමුදුරුවෝ විසින්
ලියපු සිංහල හෝඩිය බලනවා,
උන් වහන්සේ ඔය කාටත් වඩා
දන්න කෙනෙක් නොවැ .. ඒ සිංහල
හෝඩියේ නං ඔය කියන අකුර නෑ,
තවත් පිරිවර සමග එය දක්වා
ඇත්තේ බැඳි අකුරු අංසයේ,
කොටිංම කියනවානං ඟ ඬ ඳ ඹ පවා
බැඳි අංසයේ..
බස සංවර්ධනය වනවා කියන්නේ
ඒකයි කියලායි මට තේරෙන්නේ,
අනික ඔය යුනිකෝඩි ක්‍රරමය
හදන කොට අපේ ඦේ බී දිසානායක
මහාචාරිය තුමාත් සිංහල බස
පැත්තෙං හිටියාලුනේ, ඉතිං
කොහොමද සිංහල බස ගැන නොදැන
කරපු දෙයක් කියන්නේ,

http://www.fonts.lk/intro.html

පුස්කොල පොතුයි තාක්සනයයි
හුගක් වෙනස් තමා අනුරාධ
ලමයා ඔය ලියලා පෙන්නලා
තියෙන්නේ පුස්කොල පොතක
කොටහක් යුනිකෝඩි කරලා, ඔය
අගේට පේන්නේ,

අනික ඔය බැඳිල්ල යුනිකේතයට
අයිති අංසයක් නෙම්නේ, අකුරු
වැලේ වැඩක්, උපරිමයටම
බැඳිල්ල තියන දිණමින අකුරු
වැලක් දාගත්තානං ඔය බැඳපු
ප්‍රශ්න ඉවරවෙනවා,

ඔය මහත්තයත් ටිකක් ඉවසලා
නැණසලකට ගිහිං මං වාගේ
යුනිකෝඩි හරියට ඉගන
ගත්තානං තමා අගේ, ඇ

අපේ ගමිවල කොල්ලෝ කුරුටිටෝ
විතරක් නෙම් බවලත් ඇත්තොත්
සිංහලෙන් තියන නිසා මේක
බලනවා, ඔබතුමාත් සිංහලෙන්
ලිව්වා නං උන්දලාටත්
ප්‍රයෝඦනයක්

donald gaminitillake

Mar 20, 2006, 7:21:31 AM3/20/06
to සිංහල යුනිකොඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode
Why cant you give four digit unicode (sinhala) for each character or
full image of the unicode (sinhala) Characters

What you have registered in the SLSI does not have any. (or most of the
characters in the image)

You are creating text not on unicode (sinhala) .

That is the problem I am addressing. SLSI 1134 is incorrect incomplete
and you all are fooling the public.

"Paksha" Just two sets of unicode four digits for "pa" = and "ksha"
=

If you are telling the truth list these unicode (SLSI 1134) unicode
digits.

If you cannot you are just bluffing the public

Anuradha Ratnaweera

Mar 20, 2006, 7:45:34 AM3/20/06
donald gaminitillake wrote:
> Why cant you give four digit unicode (sinhala) for each character or
> full image of the unicode (sinhala) Characters

I am asking for the third time (hope you know how to count to three).
What's the basis for four digits? Why not more?

> That is the problem I am addressing.

So how did you "address" the problem?

Anuradha

JC

Mar 22, 2006, 5:31:12 PM3/22/06
to සිංහල යුනිකොඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode
Niranjan:

I write this little English to encourage you to read Sinhala that
follows. I know this English is easier for you than the Sinhala. I am
sorry. (Remembe that þ is not p, just like h is not n).

lassana kaviyak siñhala þarunayekgen. kaþaaven penennee nuvara
vagei. avuruðu 40 kata pera mamaþ nuwara iskoolee giyaa.

mona akuren liyuvaþ siñhala siñhalamai. pahaþa æþi sinðuva
kiyavanna puluvanða balanna. aþþammaataþ (mokakða ee vacanaya?)
meya penvanna. obee pahasuvata þava tikak ingriisi:

A little English again:
The West invented two things that we could choose from: Latin-1 and
Unicode. (I participated in some parts of it). The Europeans picked
Latin-1. We were given Unicode. (We have to do what they recommend,
right? I don't mean පරගැතිව බැලව
සිටින්නෝ).

Sinhala is an Indo-European language just like the Western European
languages. They dropped their local scripts and went to Roman/Latin
characters gradually. NOW, THEY RULE THE INTERNET while we insult each
other.

We are stuck with the Dravidian script that the Pallavas gave us that
we took in place of Brahmi characters. There is nothing wrong with
Sinhala script being related to the scripts of the Dravidian languages
(Oriya, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam an even Bali). But if we
switched script on our way down history for whatever the reason, why
not now use Latin-1 as a parallel script that is closer to us through
English and centrally placed in technology?

It's already there in the computer and in fonts too and has no new key
positions! More than that, it can be seen and typed on ANY computer.
Plus, it helps to self-learn English including pronunciation by
comparison because if you learn the Sinhala alphabet correctly, you
automatically learn phonology! (e.g. the standard English, Mid-West
English 'r' is a muurdhaja sound)

Obata sæpa saha jaya!
JC Ahangama

Ambalame Pina
(A Buddhist riddle-poem)

ambalamee pinaa pinaa
vaøá kaðak genaa genaa
eeka binðapi gonaa gonaa
eekata mata hinaa hinaa

Namo Namo Matha
(National Anthem of Sri Lanka)

zrii lákaa maaþaa (z = þaaluja sayanna. I know you hate it)

apa zrii lákaa namoo namoo namoo namoo maaþaa
sunðara siri barinii surænði aþi soobha maana lákaa
ðhaanya ðhanaya neka mal palaþuru piri jaya bhuumiya lákaa

apa hata sæpa siri seþa saðanaa jiivanayee maaþaa
piliganumæna apa bhakþi puujaa namoo namoo maaþaa
apa zrii lákaa namoo namoo namoo namoo maaþaa

obavee apa viðyaa
obamaya apa saþyaa
obavee apa zakþii
apa haða þula bhakþii

oba apa aalookee
apagee anupraanee
oba apa jiivanavee
apa mukþiya obavee

nava jiivana ðeminee niþina apa pubuðu karan maaþaa
jçaana viirya vadavamina rægena yanu mæna jaya bhuumi karaa

eka mavakage ðaru kæla bævinaa
yamu yamu vii nopamaa
preema vadaa sæma bheeðha ðuræralaa
namoo namoo maaþaa
apa zrii lákaa namoo namoo namoo namoo maaþaa

නිරංජන්෴

Mar 23, 2006, 9:50:43 AM3/23/06
to සිංහල යුනිකොඩ් සමූහය - Sinhala Unicode
මීට සමාන අදහසක්
අන්තර්ඦාලයේ අඩවියක තිබුනු
බව මතකයි,
මැලේසියාවට භාෂාවක