Sad news

Trevor Hardaker

May 26, 2008, 4:19:49 PM5/26/08
to African Birding, pela...@yahoogroups.com, SA Birdnet, Seabir...@googlegroups.com, Eurobirdnet, Irish Bird Network, Barry Watkins
Dear All,

I really don't enjoy being the bearer of bad tidings, but I have been asked
to convey to the birding world the sad news of the passing of Jim Enticott.

The name Jim Enticott is synonymous with seabirds across the world and
anyone who knew Jim knew that there were few people who could match his love
for the sea and the birds that called it home. Jim spent most of his life
studying seabirds, concentrating on their behaviour and distribution, and
had opportunities to visit some of the remotest parts of the planet in his
quest to find out more about them. When he was not involved in research on
seabirds, he was either guiding trips specifically to look for seabirds or
writing books about them.

The many years of studying seabirds finally culminated in Jim authoring the
popular "Photographic Handbook of the Seabirds of the World" which set new
standards in the field of seabird identification and was widely praised
amongst his peers. There were many reviews of this work, but one summed it
up perfectly by saying that "a seabirder could not ask for anything more".

Jim was always willing to share his immense knowledge with anyone who showed
an interest and, as an expert in his field, there are few people that could
be considered to be as humble as Jim was. His sense of humour was enjoyed by
all and his friendliness appreciated by all. We have all benefited from
knowing Jim and learning from him and he has left a seabird legacy that will
stay with us for a long time to come.

Jim, you will be sorely missed and fondly remembered.

Trevor Hardaker
To see some of my photos of
birds, mammals, reptiles, frogs and
dragon- and damselflies,
visit www.hardaker.co.za
Trevor Hardaker and John Graham
ZEST for BIRDS
Cape Town, South Africa
Website: www.zestforbirds.co.za

Dick Newell

May 27, 2008, 4:58:33 AM5/27/08
to Trevor Hardaker, African Birding, pela...@yahoogroups.com, SA Birdnet, Seabir...@googlegroups.com, Eurobirdnet, Irish Bird Network, Barry Watkins
Back in 1965, I was on Cape Clear Island, Cork with Jim, a 17 years old schoolboy from Guernsey. I was 23. It was a particularly slack time for migrants, so we asked Joe Sheehan if we could join him for the day on his trawler, the Ard Casta. Joe said, "be on the quay at 5am". So, on 13th September, off we went. It was my first ever pelagic, and I think it may have been Jim's. I will never forget the moment when, off Mizen Head, we were suddenly surrounded by 20 Great Shearwaters. This was a time when Great Shearwater was a dream bird, only ever seen in the distant fog off Cape, and here we had them within touching distance. Soon afterwards, Jim picked out a summer plumaged Sabine's Gull - another magical bird. Point blank range views of European Stormies, Sooty Shearwaters, Great Skuas as well as more Great Shearwaters, not to mention hordes of Kittiwakes, Fulmars and Gannets continued all day. Although we were both extremely ill, trawlers were built to roll, it didn't matter, we were elated. Our trip had coincided with the start of a major invasion of Great Shearwaters into the eastern Atlantic and we saw about 12000 of these birds passing in the distant mist in the following days.
That pelagic certainly stimulated a life-long interest in seabirds for me and may have had something to do with Jim's continued passion as well.
A few years ago, I was in Cape Town and I looked Jim up. It was great to reminisce. We spent a most enjoyable day together in the Karoo.
Yes, Jim, you will be missed.
Dick Newell
Cambridge, UK

Trevor Hardaker

May 26, 2008, 4:19:49 PM5/26/08
to African Birding, pela...@yahoogroups.com, SA Birdnet, Seabir...@googlegroups.com, Eurobirdnet, Irish Bird Network, Barry Watkins
Dear All,

To unsubscribe from the sabirdnet please go to the web page and choose edit options at the bottom of the page.