Autistics Clinically Proven Mercury Poisoned

1 view

schafer

Apr 8, 2007, 11:42:40 PM4/8/07
to Schafer Autism Report

SAR "Healing Autism:
Schafer Autism Report No Finer a Cause on the Planet"
Monday, April 8, 2007 Vol. 11 No. 51

>> PROMOTE YOUR 2007 EVENTS NOW - FREE <<
Conferences * Presentations * Parent Meetings
DEADLINE FOR MAY AUTISM CALENDAR IS
April 25!

Submit listing here:
http://www.sarnet.org/frm/cal-frm.htm
CHECK OUT CALENDAR: http://www.sarnet.org/events/

RESEARCH
* Autistics Clinically Proven Mercury Poisoned
* Chelation Hazard Reported
* Shape Mapping of the Hippocampus in Young Children with ASD

MEDIA
* Oprah: Living with Autism
* The Safe Drug Compounding Act of 2007

EDUCATION
* School Districts Search To Solve Autism Fund Shortfall
* Battle Grows Over Renewing Landmark Education Law

CARE
* A Brush with Art, Success for Boy with Autism
* Speaking of Autism in New Hampshire

RESEARCH

Autistics Clinically Proven Mercury Poisoned

From an organization press release.
http://www.Mercury-freeDrugs.org

Recent peer-reviewed scientific/medical studies by Nataf et al. (2006)
and by Geier and Geier (2006) leave little doubt that many children with
autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) are indeed mercury poisoned. These studies
utilized urinary porphyrin profile analysis (UPPA) to assess body-burden and
physiological effects of mercury in autistics. Today, any parent, physician,
or healthcare provider can easily confirm whether a non-chelated autistic is
mercury poisoned by having UPPA testing run at Laboratory Corporation of
America (LabCorp) (CLIA-certified, Test#120980) or Laboratoire Philippe
Auguste (ISO-certified, Urine Porphyrin Profile).
UPPA is a highly accurate, inexpensive, non-invasive, and routinely
available method for estimating body-burden and toxicity of mercury.
Numerous peer-reviewed scientific/medical papers published over the past 40
years, many of them supported by the US NIH, have proven the validity of
using UPPA to identify mercury poisoning.
UPPA profiling, unlike attempts to directly measure mercury in the
blood, urine or feces, or in tissues (e.g., hair and nail), is a proven
method for assessing mercury toxicity.
Using UPPA, Nataf et al. (2006) studied the urinary porphyrin patterns
in French children using the results reported by Laboratoire Philippe
Auguste. Similarly, Geier and Geier (2006) studied the urinary porphyrin
patterns in US children using the results reported by LabCorp.
Both published studies:
. Clearly demonstrated that non-chelated autistics had porphyrin
patterns indicative of clinical mercury toxicity, while normal children and
their normal sibling controls did not.
. Found that the more severely affected the ASD children were the
higher their evidence of mercury toxicity.
. Established that treating autistics with chelating agents resulted
in lower mercury-specific urinary porphyrins, which corresponded to apparent
reductions in the mercury body-burden of these children.
Many other physicians who take care of ASD patients have ordered UPPA
testing and confirmed the observations made by Nataf et al. (2006) and Geier
and Geier (2006).
Thus, urinary porphyrin profile testing is being successfully used to:
. Demonstrate the role of mercury in populations of autistics,
. Identify those children and adults who are mercury poisoned, and
. Track mercury excretion from affected children undergoing
treatment.
For the past several years there has been a raging controversy as to
whether or not mercury in medicines, especially in vaccines, has caused the
dramatic rise in the rate of children diagnosed with an ASD. Many experts
have insisted ASDs are caused by some yet-to-be-identified genetic cause. A
paper recently published in Nature Genetics described the results of
multi-million-dollar genetics study (which studied a thousand-plus families
with at least two autistics using in-depth genetic screening). Tellingly,
the authors reported, "None of our linkage results can be interpreted as
'statistically significant'." (The Autism Genome Project Consortium, 2007).
This makes it unlikely that purely genetic aberrations ! are t he root cause
of most ASD cases.
With the current porphyrin study results, public health officials
should now publicly admit what they have been saying in their private
transcripts and memos all along: Mercury from Thimerosal-containing vaccines
and other medicines has been a major cause of ASD cases, which, according to
recent CDC (2007) estimates, may occur one in every 150 children.

CoMeD's web site, http://www.Mercury-freeDrugs.org contains:
. Further information on how to order these tests,
. Full copies of the Nataf et al. (2006) and Geier and Geier (2006)
papers, and
. Some of the many published papers validating the UPPA test.

-- > DO SOMETHING ABOUT AUTISM NOW < --

SUBSCRIBE. . . !
. . .Read, then Forward the Schafer Autism Report.
$35 for 1 year - 200 issues, or No Cost Review Sub.

. . .

Chelation Hazard Reported
"Succimer Chelation Improves Learning, Attention, and Arousal Regulation in
Lead-Exposed Rats but Produces Lasting Cognitive Impairment in the Absence
of Lead Exposure"

BACKGROUND: There is growing pressure for clinicians to prescribe
chelation therapy at only slightly elevated blood lead levels. However, very
few studies have evaluated whether chelation improves cognitive outcomes in
Pb-exposed children, or whether these agents have adverse effects that may
affect brain development in the absence of Pb exposure.
OBJECTIVES: The present study was designed to answer these questions,
using a rodent model of early childhood Pb exposure and treatment with
succimer, a widely used chelating agent for the treatment of Pb poisoning.
RESULTS: Pb exposure produced lasting impairments in learning,
attention, inhibitory control, and arousal regulation, paralleling the areas
of dysfunction seen in Pb-exposed children. Succimer treatment of the
Pb-exposed rats significantly improved learning, attention, and arousal
regulation, although the efficacy of the treatment varied as a function of
the Pb exposure level and the specific functional deficit. In contrast,
succimer treatment of rats not previously exposed to Pb produced lasting and
pervasive cognitive and affective dysfunction comparable in magnitude to
that produced by the higher Pb exposure regimen.
CONCLUSIONS: These are the first data, to our knowledge, to show that
treatment with any chelating agent can alleviate cognitive deficits due to
Pb exposure. These findings suggest that it may be possible to identify a
succimer treatment protocol that improves cognitive outcomes in Pb-exposed
children. However, they also suggest that succimer treatment should be
strongly discouraged for children who do not have elevated tissue levels of
Pb or other heavy metals.
Environ Health Perspect 115:201-209 (2007).
doi:10.1289/ehp.9263 available via http://dx.doi.org/ [Online 30
October 2006]

Download paper here:
http://www.sarnet.org/lib/Stangle-Strupp-chelation.pdf

EVIDENCE OF HARM DISCUSSION LIST HEATS UP
AS MERCURY LINK TO AUTISM QUESTION SPREADS

>> PAPERBACK BOOK NOW OUT - CHECK AMAZON.COM

An Evidence of Harm email discussion list has
been created in response to the growing interest
in the book and the issues it chronicles. Now over
1,600 subscribers. Here is where to subscribe
(no cost): http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EOHarm/

. . .

Shape Mapping of the Hippocampus in Young Children with Autism Spectrum
Disorder

http://www.ajnr.org/cgi/content/abstract/28/4/672

S.R. Dager, L. Wang, S.D. Friedman, D.W. Shaw, J.N. Constantino, A.A.
Artru, G. Dawson and J.G. Csernansky
Please address correspondence to Stephen R. Dager, MD, Department of
Radiology, University of Washington, 1100 NE 45th St, Suite 555, Seattle, WA
98105; e-mail: s...@u.washington.edu

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: We hypothesized the occurrence of
characteristic hippocampal-shape alterations in young children with autistic
spectrum disorder (ASD) who also exhibit deficits on neuropsychologic tests
of medial temporal lobe (MTL) function.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: Coronal 3D MR images were acquired from 3- to
4-year-old children with ASD (n = 45) and age-matched children with typical
development (n = 13). Children with ASD were further subclassified into
those with autism disorder (AD, n = 29) or pervasive developmental
disorder-not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS) (n = 16). Variations in
hippocampal shape were evaluated by using large-deformation high-dimensional
brain mapping.
RESULTS: Hippocampal shape measures distinguished children with ASD
from those with typical development; within the ASD sample, children with AD
were distinguished from those with PDD-NOS. Hippocampal-shape alterations in
children with ASD were correlated with degree of mental retardation and
performance deficits on tests of MTL function.
CONCLUSIONS: Children with ASD exhibited an alteration of hippocampal
shape consistent with inward deformation of the subiculum. This pattern of
hippocampal-shape deformations in the children with ASD was accentuated in
the more severely affected subgroup of children with AD and was associated
with deficits on neuropsychologic tests of MTL but not prefrontal function.
Hippocampal-shape deformation in the children with ASD was observed to be
similar to a pattern of hippocampal shape deformation previously reported in
adults with MTL epilepsy. Although the children with ASD, and those with AD
in particular, PDD-NOS are at high risk for epilepsy as they enter
adolescence, the specificity and causal relationship of this pattern of
hippocampal-shape deformation to the development of seizures is not yet
known.

. . .

MEDIA

Oprah: Living with Autism

http://tinyurl.com/2rfy34

Note: Oprah Winfrey had parents from Autism Speaks on her show
Thursday, April 5, to talk about, what else, autism. Most of the show was
the run-of-the-mill recitation of autism awareness talking points, of which
there can never be enough. However, this time things got a little
different. One of the show's guest was Katie Wright Hildebrand, the
daughter of Autism Speak's Bob And Suzanne Wright and she had some things to
say about the vaccine connection to autism.
That part of the show can be see on youtube at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4uGWiQgRYs

The full transcript of the show is below. -editor.

It's been called a national health threat by the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention (CDC). It's not childhood obesity or leukemia. In
fact, this mysterious disease affects more children than pediatric cancer,
diabetes and AIDS combined.
Autism is a neurological disorder that strikes as many as 1 in every
150 children and affects millions of families worldwide. Every day, 67
children in America are diagnosed with this disease. That's one new case
every 20 minutes.
According to the CDC, autism is one of a group of disorders known as
"autism spectrum disorders." Children with autism may have trouble
interacting socially and communicating and may exhibit unusual behaviors.
The severity of the disease varies from child to child. Some attend public
school and are considered "high-functioning," while others go their entire
lives without ever saying a word.
Currently, there is no known cause and no known cure. But, if you're
living with autism, there is no mystery about how difficult and devastating
it can be. In the documentary Autism Every Day, eight families living with
autism speak out about their struggles.
"This is the national health crisis of our time," says Katie, the
mother of an autistic son. "This is bigger than AIDS. This is bigger than
breast cancer, and almost no attention seems to be paid to it."
Michele, Jesse and Katie Michele, Jesse and Katie are three of the
parents featured in the documentary. Like many families, they searched for
explanations for their sons' unusual behavior for years before finally
receiving the correct diagnosis.
Katie says her son Christian progressed normally for the first two
years of his life. "He walked, talked, did everything on time," she says.
"[He was] a beautiful, loving little boy."
Then, Katie began to notice a regression in his development. "I
noticed he was losing words, and I thought I was crazy," she says. "I
thought I was doing something wrong." Instead of saying, "I love you,
Mommy," Katie says her son would stare at her blankly like he didn't
understand her anymore.
A pediatrician chalked Christian's behavior up to the fact that Katie
had just given birth to a new baby, but she says she knew there was
something else wrong. Eventually, Christian was diagnosed with autism.
Jesse's son Adam also developed normally at first. Then, when he was
18 months old, Jesse says the twinkle in his son's eyes started to fade
away. "It was just devastating because I was losing my boy to a world that I
didn't understand or could comprehend," he says.
Like many Americans, Jesse says the only example of autism he had ever
seen was in the movie Rain Man. "I said, 'Adam's not like Rain Man,'" he
says. "That was my reference."
When Michele first noticed that her son Danson was behaving
differently, she says she mistakenly thought he was going deaf. After many
misdiagnoses, she also learned the truth.
+ Read more: http://tinyurl.com/2rfy34

. . .

The Safe Drug Compounding Act of 2007

Important Live Presentation on the Voice America Health and Wellness Network

www.Health.VoiceAmerica.com
Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:00 noon Eastern; 9:00 am

Pacific Betsy Hicks: Autism One: A Conversation of Hope, presents

A small but powerful group of U.S. senators is poised to force
legislation on Americans that would severely restrict and possibly deny your
access to critical medications. Under this legislation, federal regulators,
not your doctor, will decide what medicines you or your child can take, when
compounded medicines are needed, and which ones your doctor can prescribe.
Does your child or someone you know rely on and benefit from
compounded medications or supplements such as methyl B-12, oral liposomal
and IV glutathione, TTFD, or chelators or gastrointestinal and other
medications in a special form or without additives? If so, tune in to hear
how you can help protect you child's and family's access to crucially
helpful and healthier forms of many of these types of items.
Guests: Marcy Kelly, VP of Sales and Marketing, Wedgewood Pharmacy,
and mom to Dylan, diagnosed with autism at age two and who has improved
marvelously; Joshua Wenderoff, consultant to the International Academy of
Compounding Pharmacists; Wendy Fournier, president, National Autism
Association; and a pharmacist -specially trained in the Defeat Autism Now
protocol - from Wellness Pharmacy.

NOTE: See A-CHAMP Action Alert in LETTERS, below. -ed.

. . .

EDUCATION

School Districts Search To Solve Autism Fund Shortfall

"Autistic children are taught using a method called "applied behavioral
therapy," which breaks learning into tasks and rewards students when they
complete them. But federal officials say that violated Medicaid rules for
many reasons, including that it's offered only to children with autism."

From The Associated Press. http://tinyurl.com/26ns8h

Several school districts throughout South Carolina are struggling to
replace almost $1.4 million in federal funds that had gone to provide
services to autistic children.
After Medicaid cut money for the services, the state Department of
Heath and Human Services came up with six months of funding. However, that
money runs out in June and 40 districts are deciding how best to replace it.
Some school districts want to tap into local property tax dollars,
grants or any other resources they can think of.
Such funds are essential, parents of autistic children say, because of
the one-on-one attention and specialized skills teachers and therapists
provide to about 3,000 South Carolina children.
"To take those services away, it would the hurt the children and their
futures," said Delilah Bonhert, whose 8-year-old son, Tristen, attends
school in Lexington-Richland 5.
The state Education Department says districts have so far handled the
shortfall.
+ Read more: http://tinyurl.com/26ns8h

. . .

Battle Grows Over Renewing Landmark Education Law

By Sam Dillon. http://tinyurl.com/2yyzo6

When President Bush and Democratic leaders put together the bipartisan
coalition behind the federal No Child Left Behind Act, they managed to
sidestep, override or flat out ignore decades of sentiment that education is
fundamentally a prerogative of state and local government.
Education Secretary Margaret Spellings is working to curtail
defections within the Republican ranks.
Now, as the president and the same Democrats push to renew the
landmark law, which has reshaped the face of American education with its
mandates for annual testing, discontent with it in many states is
threatening to undermine the effort in both parties.
Arizona and Virginia are battling the federal government over rules
for testing children with limited English. Utah is fighting over whether
rural teachers there pass muster under the law. And Connecticut is two years
into a lawsuit arguing that No Child Left Behind has failed to provide
states federal financing to meet its requirements.
Reacting to such disputes in state after state, dozens of Republicans
in Congress are sponsoring legislation that would water down the law by
allowing states to opt out of its testing requirements yet still receive
federal money.
On the other side of the political spectrum, 10 Democratic senators
signed a letter last month saying that based on feedback from constituents,
they consider the law's testing mandates to be "unsustainable" and want an
overhaul.
"It's going to be a brawl," said Jack Jennings, a Democrat who as
president of the Center on Education Policy has studied how the law has been
set up in the 50 states. "The law is drawing opposition from the right
because they are opposed to federal interference and from the left because
of too much testing."
The law was passed in President Bush's first year in office by large
bipartisan majorities - 87 to 10 in the Senate and 381 to 41 in the House.
Today it enjoys the support of a powerful, if unlikely, political threesome
- Mr. Bush and the Democratic leaders of the education committees, Senator
Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts and Representative George Miller of
California.
But many members of Congress have heard years of complaints about the
law from educators and parents in their states, and even lawmakers who
support its goals believe that it is headed for a makeover, or that its
revision could be postponed until after the 2008 election.
No Child Left Behind greatly expanded the federal role in education
with hundreds of directives. It requires states to test students in
elementary and middle school every year and bring them to proficiency in
reading and math by 2014. It also imposes sanctions on schools where scores
consistently fall short of achievement targets.
+ Read more: http://tinyurl.com/2yyzo6

. . .

CARE

A Brush with Art, Success for Boy with Autism

By Rob Kuznia.
http://www.santabarbaranewsroom.com/content/view/96/1/

Some painters go their whole lives without selling a piece. Kevin
Hosseini has sold 15. He's also 12 years old, and autistic.
A gifted oil painter, the sixth-grader at Carpinteria Family School
has sold about 15 pieces to patrons who live as far away as New York City as
well as closer to home, including Santa Barbara Mayor Marty Blum and state
Assemblyman Pedro Nava.
Perhaps like many artists, Kevin Hosseini can get frustrated to the
point of hurling his paintbrush across the room when a piece isn't coming
together.
But unlike others, the 12-year-old Carpinteria resident benefits from
a one-word reminder neatly handwritten on a note next to his easel: "Calm."
Kevin was diagnosed at an early age with autism, a developmental
disability related to the central nervous system that can cause people to
become easily over-stimulated. But that hasn't stopped Kevin from finding
success.
A gifted oil painter, the sixth-grader at Carpinteria Family School
has sold about 15 pieces to patrons who live as far away as New York City,
as well as closer to home, including Santa Barbara Mayor Marty Blum and
state Assemblyman Pedro Nava.
Until May 11, he will have a painting displayed at the Carpinteria
Valley Arts Council (http://www.artscarp.org/), at 855 Linden Ave. And on
May 12, he will be one of 28 artists featured in Carpinteria's first-ever
home studio tour.
Kevin discovered his passion by accident about two years ago, when his
behavioral therapist, Colin Zimbleman, who's also an artist, came to the
house with a canvas and paintbrush in the hopes of finding a fun activity
that would bring a therapeutic effect.
It worked. In addition to the artistic success, Kevin still benefits
from the lessons of life learned through painting. For instance, sometimes
life is messy - sometimes you drop your brush on the floor and leave a
splotch that needs cleaning. The key, Zimbleman tells him, is to solve the
problem one step at a time: get a paper towel, get it wet, rub the floor
clean, throw the towel away.
"Then it's not some big heavy thing," he said.
Painting became an obsession. Kevin's body of work grew so large that
the family started selling the paintings at modest prices for lack of space
on the walls, said his mother, Debbie Hosseini. So far, he's made a total of
about $2,500 -- not a bad stipend for a 12-year-old.
"He doesn't have a lot of friends, so he gets satisfaction from his
art," she said, while sitting in the kitchen, as Kevin dabbed away on a
brightly colored abstract painting of Bob Marley in the adjacent room.
"Also, the recognition he gets is satisfying - people see him as a capable
person."
Every year, one in 150 children is diagnosed with autism. The disorder
is especially prevalent among boys - one in 94. Twenty years ago, for
reasons researchers have yet to decipher, the rate was one in 10,000.
+ Read more: http://www.santabarbaranewsroom.com/content/view/96/1/

(Thanks to Debbie Hosseini.)

. . .

Speaking of Autism in New Hampshire

By Heather Karolian. http://tinyurl.com/2l2zx9

Justine Gayhardt, a resident of Deerfield and student at Concord High
and Regional Technical Center student, earned a second place award in the
speaking skills category at the annual convention of the statewide chapter
of the Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA). She competed and
celebrated with hundreds of her peers last week at the Nashua Sheraton Hotel
and Conference Center.
HOSA is a national student organization endorsed by the U.S.
Department of Education and the Health Science Technology Education
Division. HOSA's two-fold mission is to promote career opportunities in the
health care industry and to enhance the delivery of quality health care to
all people. The theme this year for HOSA is "Healing with your hands,
helping with your hearts."
Gayhardt's five-minute oral presentation highlighted the occurrence of
autism, the theories behind the cause of the disability, and some of the
challenges faced by people with autism spectrum disorders.
+ Read more: http://tinyurl.com/2l2zx9

. . .

EVENTS

NAA's Road to Recovery Walk
In Boston, MA, Dixon, IL and Auburn, ME

Join us on Sunday, May 6th as we walk to raise funds for our Helping
Hand program and research that will really help our kids! These walks will
take place rain or shine! For details visit
http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/walk.php

. . .

LETTERS

Tell Congress: My Child Needs Compounded Supplements and Medications!
Do NOT Take Them Away!

Action Alert letter from A-CHAMP
http://capwiz.com/a-champ/issues/alert/?alertid=9595541&type=ML

If your child relies on compounded medicines - e.g., methyl B12,
pediatric medicines without additives, or special supplements - please read
on.
A small but powerful group of United States Senators is ready to force
legislation on American consumers that would severely restrict and possibly
deny your access to critical medications.
Act today or your access to compounded medicines will be DENIED!
Under this legislation, federal regulators, not your doctor, will
decide what medicines you or your child can take. Do you really want to
leave your customized medicine needs in the hands of bureaucrats in the
government?
The so-called Safe Drug Compounding Act of 2007 would, among other
things:
. Broadly eliminate the availability of many critical, commonly
compounded medications that many patients rely on, such as bioidentical
hormones for women, hospice care treatments for the terminally ill and
customized medicines for children.
. Allow the federal government to determine when compounded
medicines are needed - a decision that has always been and should always be
made by doctors.
. Restrict the compounded medications your doctor can prescribe
even if he or she determines you need them.
If you or someone you know depends on compounded medications, act now
to stop this dangerous legislation!
1 Write your elected representatives in Congress. Use A-CHAMP's
easy to use tool to write your members of Congress. Also, please keep this
in mind: It's critical that you personalize your letter. Tell your own
story. Tell them how you rely on compounded medicines and what your life
would be like without them.
2 Tell a friend. Even if your friends and relatives don't rely on
compounded medicines themselves, they still have a loved one - you - who
does. That's their story to tell. Please encourage them to tell their
representatives in Congress.
3 Tell more friends. The best weapon we have in this fight is
you. You are the patient. Yours is the story that your representative in
Congress cannot ignore. The more people we can get to unite in support of
compounded medicines, the better our chances of winning will be.
Go here:
http://capwiz.com/a-champ/issues/alert/?alertid=9595541&type=ML

Key Documents From A-CHAMP
Draft Senate Bill -
http://a-champ.org/documents/DiscussionDraftCompoundingBill.pdf
International Journal of Compounding Article on Compounding -
http://a-champ.org/documents/IsCompoundingtheKey.pdf
Pharmacists' Associations' Letter to Senators Kennedy, Burr, Roberts -
http://a-champ.org/documents/FINALJointPharmacyLetterSDCA3-7-07.pdf Message
Brought To You By A-CHAMP Advocates for Children's Health Affected by
Mercury Poisoning

. . .

Don't Be Too Quick To Embrace HPV Vaccine

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/04/06/opinion/letters/124999.txt

The misconceptions of the HPV vaccine are widespread, not just by
families but doctors who seem to have a never-ending faith in a drug safety
system that brought us Vioxx and 70,000-plus related deaths.
It is disturbing that the maker of the current HPV vaccine, Merck,
which is accused of lying to the FDA and to the medical community about
Vioxx safety, is being given a blank check of trust by professionals.
The Gardasil studies are similar to Merck's Vioxx work - Merck funded
all of them, the authors include patent holders, Merck employees - 41
percent - and those that receive money from Merck - 80 percent.
Studies involved only low-risk women who were followed for a very
short time - two years - maximizing apparent efficacy.
The placebo limb of the studies mostly got aluminum, a toxic component
likely responsible for many of the side effects, also minimizing concerns of
complications.
Even though Merck failed to disclose serious side effects, like in
Vioxx, they are starting to surface - seizures, syncope, muscle weakness,
paralysis, some life-threatening.
Injecting part of a cancer-causing virus into your blood where it
usually does not belong without insisting on long-term cancer causing side
effects is foolish as is looking at the effects on fertility, which Merck
did not do.
There are reports of menstrual problems in young girls and numerous
vaccine failures including cervical cancer and HPV infections of exactly the
same strain found in the vaccine. My suggestion, if the legislators want us
to force this on our 10- and 11-year-old daughters, I suggest, "you go
first"!
- Dr. David Ayoub, Springfield

. . .

"Our Family Would Be Completely Different" Without DAN!

At 12 months, my daughter stopped talking. No one had a reasonable
explanation as to why this had happened. "perhaps she's working on other
skills" was all our pediatrician had to offer. But I knew something was
wrong and I pushed and pushed to get her on the waiting lists for a
diagnosis. It took almost a year to get seen. And sadly, I was correct, my
sweet baby girl had autism. But now what? What good is an autism diagnosis
if there's nothing you can do to treat this horrible disorder?
Fortunately, a kind soul directed me to the Autism Research Institute.
Perusing their website I found the DAN! pages with a list of doctors in my
state, and even better - there was a DAN! conference coming to my area in a
few months. I signed up for the conference and made an appointment for my
daughter to see one of the DAN! list's doctors.
Walking into my first DAN! conference I was in awe to see the 1000+
parents, practitioners and others affected by autism all mingling around
together. I sat two rows up from our DAN! doctor who attended with his wife
and the office's nurse. At this conference parents were respected as equal
partners in treating the kids - what a novel concept! I wandered the hall
between the talks trying to absorb all I had learned, sampling gluten and
dairy free cookies and getting information for the vendors, talking with
other parents and practitioners - what a wealth of information to be found
there!, and soaking up the positive vibes from people who were treating and
recovering their children. I came home swimming in information and the
amazing thought that you really could treat autism and maybe, just maybe I
could recover my daughter from autism.
It's been almost four years since I attended that first DAN!
conference. Today my daughter is fully recovered; she attends a regular
school without any support and has many friends of diverse ages. It's
difficult to remember the time she spent in the depths of autism, nonverbal
and spinning in circles. We will always be grateful to DAN! and the Autism
Research Institute. Our family would be completely different had we not
found them.
-Melanie Glock, Maisie's mom

DAN! Defeat Autism Now! Spring Conference For Parents and Practitioners
April 19-23 Alexandria, Virginia

If you have a child affected by autism, or if you are a professional
working with children on the autism spectrum, attending a DAN! Conference is
one of the best ways for you to obtain the latest information on the safest
and most effective biomedical interventions for improving your child's
condition.
There is no other conference that devotes its entire agenda to
teaching parents and practitioners how nutrition, intestinal disorders,
detoxification and other metabolic issues impact behavior, attention, speech
and the general health of children on the autism spectrum. The Defeat
Autism Now! (DAN!) Conference focuses intensely on these important issues.
Whether your child is mildly affected, has more pronounced symptoms,
is a two year old with a recent diagnosis, or an older child with autism,
attending a DAN! conference will provide you with insights into the
underlying metabolic problems that are often responsible for the symptoms we
associate with autism. Additionally, you will become equipped with powerful
tools and information that you and your DAN! physician can use to often
correct these disorders and bring about improvements in your child.

+ Read more: http://www.danconference.com/

COPYRIGHT NOTICE: The above items are copyright protected. They are for our
readers' personal education or research purposes only and provided at their
request. Articles may not be further reprinted or used commercially without
consent from the copyright holders. To find the copyright holders, follow
the referenced website link provided at the beginning of each item.

SUBSCRIBE to SAR: http://www.sarnet.org or email to: su...@sarnet.org
You are subscribed as:
SchaferAu...@googlegroups.com