Getting underlying sql for ad-hoc RS2005 report

Tj

Jan 12, 2006, 1:32:59 PM1/12/06
to Microsoft Reporting Services
I've been able to get the underlying sql from the .rdl file for
Reporting Services 2000. However, I want to be able to leverage the
new Report Builder available with the new Reporting Services 2005.

However, the problem is that Reports designed with the ad-hoc Report
Builder no longer use embedded sql as the source. I need the actual
sql to pass to another application to process the dataset (which I've
found to be the best performing method).

Given the comments in this article
(http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/28047?trk=DXRSS_DB, bottom of first
page)...

"...the ad-hoc report definition includes a semantic query that
describes the model entities selected by the user rather than being
pre-defined by a developer."

"...the Report Server extracts the semantic query and forwards it to
the Query Translator. The Query Translator translates the semantic
query to a SQL query, using the SQL syntax understood by the underlying
data source."

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could do the same? Are there any
object libraries that Reporting Services 2005 makes available that I
could leverage to do this translation? Does anyone know of any other
way to achieve this result?

I know worse-case secenario I may be able to call the render method,
and request the csv, then stream this to my etl application.

Regards,
Tj