The State of the Onion

Jon Delfin

Feb 1, 2005, 10:19:16 AM2/1/05
to Remote...@googlegroups.com, tvb...@googlegroups.com
TV Barn's TV Picks for Tuesday, February 1, 2005
by Tom Heald with Jon Delfin
All times Eastern
For PBS programs, check local listings

MY FIRST DAY
Which sitcom set was featured in the pilot episode of "Scrubs"?

A) "Everybody Loves Raymond"
B) "Dharma and Greg"
C) "My Wife and Kids"
D) "Spin City"
E) "Will and Grace"

[Laugh trek your way to the bottom of the column for the answer.]

= = = = =

AARON'S PICK
"House" (9 p.m., Fox): The best thing to be said about those teeth-gnashing "American Idol" tryouts is they've been great for the ratings of whatever show follows "Idol" on Fox. Last year, "24" got the boost. This year it's the even more deserving "House."

"House," starring Hugh Laurie as a caustic doc who cracks the tough ones, was my preseason pick as the best new series of the year. It has since been eclipsed in my book by the fantastic "Lost," and the new Scott brothers' crime show "Numbers" is closing fast.

Still, it's remarkable to find someone taking such command of the small screen on any program, let alone one of these paint-by-numbers procedural dramas. (Patients on "House" always collapse in a heap, their bodies always betray them like out-of-control cars roaring toward the embankment, and Laurie always spends half the episode fighting with everyone around him before pulling the miracle cure out of his hat.) It helps that "House" is well-staffed, though poor Robert Sean Leonard should have his own show; he's underused here as Laurie's third banana.

There was one mystery I thought even the brilliant Dr. House couldn't solve: What possible interest could a high-quality medical drama have to someone who has just spent an hour watching talentless teenagers shriek for Simon Cowell? But then it occurred to me that Laurie might be the only actor snotty enough to play Cowell in the "American Idol" movie. Not that I'm holding my breath for that ....

= = = = =

Find out about the guy behind the really long Academy Award tribute in "Irving Thalberg: Prince of Hollywood" (8 p.m., TCM).

Simon has an Orlando jones on "American Idol" (8 p.m., Fox).

"Class of ... 1996" (8 p.m., Biography) puts on the ritz for Peter Boyle.

"Gilmore Girls" (8 p.m., WB) pout, get rear-ended, offended, and hopefully not ended.

Her gift depends on her mood on "My Wife and Kids" (8 p.m., ABC).

Leads are lost by frustrated teams and their taxi drivers who they must be talking to because he's the only one there on "The Amazing Race" (9 p.m., CBS).

Janitor settles a score on "Scrubs" (9 p.m., NBC) while J.D. falls for a bartender.

DNA evidence solves tonight's "Cold Case Files" (9 p.m., A&E).

Old flames, heart games and proposals take to the court on "One Tree Hill" (9 p.m., WB).

Will Marni jump off the Empire State Building on "Committed" (9:30 p.m., NBC)?

"Judging Amy" (10 p.m., CBS) seizes the day for an epileptic teen.

"Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" (10 p.m., Bravo) tames an American hair-wolf in London.

"The Once and Future City" (10 p.m., Travel) celebrates Baltimore by not talking to John Waters.

PSSST, YOUR ROOTS ARE SHOWING
* "Black in the '80s" (9 p.m., VH1)
* "Black Filmmaker Showcase" (10 p.m., Showtime)
* "Independent Lens" (10 p.m., PBS) remembers "February One: The Story of the Greensboro Four."

RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES
"NYPD Blue" (10 p.m., ABC) apes the case of Anna Nicole and the old guy.

SHUFFLE UP AND DEAL
* Jason Alexander, Nick Gonzalez, Allison Janney, Chris Kattan and Mary McCormack play the "Celebrity Poker Showdown" (8 p.m., Bravo).
* Poker Royale: Battle of the Sexes" (9 p.m., GSN)
* "World Series of Blackjack 2005" (10 p.m., GSN)

STOP ME IF YOU'VE HEARD THIS ONE BEFORE
Charlie shocks "Rodney" (9:30 p.m., ABC) with a wedding to her college professor. But why is his father-in-law more friendly to the teacher than he is with Rodney?

UNNECESSARY GUEST STAR PATROL SWEEPS EDITION
* "The Most Outrageous Moments on Live TV" (8 p.m., NBC): Bob Dole
* "George Lopez" (8:30 p.m., ABC): "All My Children's" Eva La Rue. Plot: George reveals to the Superintendent of Schools that she's his sister, given up for adoption.

WACKO JACKO
"Michael Jackson's Mind" (10 p.m., Court)

SO WHAT ELSE IS NEW?
* "7th Ave. Drop" (7 p.m., Fuse)
* "Wild West Tech" (8 p.m., History)
* "Winter X Games" (9 p.m., ESPN)
* "Roker on the Road" (9 p.m., Food): Tailgating
* "Holiday Showdown" (10 p.m., BBC America): Surfing and Caravans
* "Biker Build-Off" (10 p.m., Discovery)
* "Keeping the Faith: Becoming a Priest in Today's Catholic Church" (10 p.m., Discovery Times)
* "Interpol Investigates" (10 p.m., National Geographic): Dangerous Company
* "Rides: Biggest Spenders" (10 p.m., TLC)
* "Animal Cops San Francisco" (10 p.m., Animal Planet)
* "The Real World: Philadelphia" (10 p.m., MTV)
* "Distraction" (10:30 p.m., Comedy Central)
* "My Super Sweet 16" (10:30 p.m., MTV)

CHATTERBOX
* Dennis Miller eats ribs with Hugh Hewitt, John Larroquette, Al Rantel, Leslie Marshall and Salam Al-Marayati.
* Joe Francis, Henry Winkler and Duran Duran with girls on film with Donny Deutsch.
* Charlie Rose has election fever with Ghazi Al Yawar and Malcolm Gladwell.
* Paula Abdul judges not "The Daily Show" lest she be judged.
* Tavis chats with National Urban League CEO Marc Morial and National Rural League CEO LeAnn Rimes.
* Debra Messing and Peyton Manning grace "The Late Show."
* Leonardo DiCaprio, Abigail Breslin and Kenny Chesney strum their way to "The Tonight Show."
* John Larroquette, Jennifer Finnigan and Rickey Smiley turn their frowns upside down with Craig,
* Alan Alda, Jeffrey Tambor and the Arcade Fire snuff out the evening with Conan.
* Robert Downey Jr. and Richard Kind wander aimlessly into the "Last Call" studio and pass out on its couch.

JANITORIAL SUPPLY
J.D.'s sitcom dream about Elliot was filmed on the set of C) "My Wife and Kids."

TV Barn's TV Picks are online anytime at http://www.tvbarn.com/remote