Reddot 7.0 and visual studio

salimgbelim

Jun 26, 2009, 9:57:08 AM6/26/09
to RedDot CMS Users
Hi Guys,

Currently am using Reddot CMS v 7.0, And am looking to maintain the
reddot content class from visual studio so I can version control my
content classes.

Is there any addin's available to do it from visual studio?

How do you guys version control your content classes?

Thanks

Regards

Salim

Richard Hauer (5 Limes)

Jun 27, 2009, 4:58:53 AM6/27/09
to RedDot CMS Users
The only way to manage your templates and elements is using the
designer in CMS. This is also true for version 10. I am told there
may be proper Visual Studio IDE support for v11, which is the long-
awaited full .Net rewrite of the application, we shall have to wait
and see as it is at least 12 months away (*cough* actually I've heard
that a few times so forgive my slightly cynical tone).

What many people do is develop their template code in normal VS
projects, then slice it up and port it into CMS, which has its own
version control by the way.

A few general interest questions for the group - whoever is listening
out there:

1) Is this something people are interested in? i.e. being able to
develop and manage templates in Visual Studio with plumbing back into
the CMS
2) How many developers on your site would use it?
3) How much would you pay, if anything?
4) What kind of licensing model would suit you? e.g. per developer,
per project, site-wide, per concurrent-user, per language/project
variant, etc.
5) What awesome features would you want, aside from the obvious
functionality of editing templates and managing elements?

HTH.

Regards,
Richard Hauer
5 Limes Pty Limited