Rebetika and laika in Israel

eva.b...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2007, 6:54:09 AM9/15/07
to Rebetika
Hi everyone,

In connection to Tiffanitsas Sfakianakis video clip, here are some
examples of how rebetiko and Greek laika culture has made its mark
across the Mediterranen, in Israel. This is a clip from an Israeli
wedding party, with "Yoramico" singing "Ematha pos eisai mangas" (at
least I think that's the title):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05so6kJFhls

There is even some zeibeikos in there, though some of the guests do
other dance steps. It's kind of neat watching guys in kippas doing
Greek dances!;-). This song became known in Israel throught the
Cypriot bouzouki player/singer Trifonas, who was quite a star there in
the 70's, performing Greek laika and some (later-style) rebetika.
Later on he moved to New York, where he is still going strong,
performing for the Greek community. He returns to Israel regularly, as
you can see in these pics:

http://www.photo-print.co.il/photoAlbum/albumAllPic.aspx?albumID=10063&

Another fun video, with the song "Shekshenavo", a cover of a nice
Greek hasapikos with Rena Koumioti, "Ti thelis gero":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cygVEtou0E

http://www.hebrewsongs.com/?songID=377

Unlike many other Israeli artists, Arik Einstein doesn't cover Greek
songs, with this one exception.
The video is actually a parody for a comedy movie, so the whole thing
is a bit exaggerated. However, it seems as though the image of Greeks
in Israel is quite influenced by the Greek Jews who arrived in the
30's and 40's. In Israel they mostly worked as porters/stevedores in
the Haifa and Tel Aviv ports, the same kind of work they did in
Thessaloniki (where the majority of the port workers were Sephardi
Jews). Hence the tragiaskas and the "port taverna" atmosphere.

Hope I haven't tired you with these somewhat off-topic multicultural
musings. The Greek-Israeli connection has been an interest of mine for
some time, that's why I have gathered all this rather esoteric
info!;-)

Eva

eva.b...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2007, 7:11:53 AM9/15/07
to Rebetika
And here are a few more "zeibekies" with Yoram:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOvgw-J53MU

Eva

Maps N Mad

Sep 16, 2007, 6:07:43 PM9/16/07
to Rebe...@googlegroups.com
Eva, this is particularly fascinating for me, since I have just
married a Jewish woman. Connections between my Greek heritage and her
Jewish heritage are particularly fascinating. At our wedding, I had
chosen recordings of klezmer and Greek music that sounded somewhat
similar, to sort of indicate how our families blend together.

--moonie

-- Geek tip: never try to type on your laptop while holding a sharp
object at the same time. It'll end in tears.

-- Sig? No, me?--

eva.b...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2007, 4:30:22 AM9/17/07
to Rebetika
Hi Moonie,

"Mazal tov" and "vios anthospartos"! The Greek-Jewish-Israeli musical
connection is indeed a fascinating one!
There are connection both to Jewish diaspora culture (Ashkenazi and
Sephardi) and modern Israeli culture. Some klezmer music is close to
Greek-Ottoman music, while the Ladino (Spanish-language) musical
tradition of the Jews of the Balkans and Turkey share many melodies
with the Greek/Bulgarian/Turkish etc. musical traditions. For example,
there is a klezmer dance, the bulgar which is almost identical with
the Greek hasaposervikos (which I think is borrowed from the northern
neighbours, I'm sure Nikos P. will know more). The Israeli "Hava
Nagila" is still a mainstay at many Greek-American parties, as this
clip shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGK6KyxaXkY

For me, the most interesting aspect is the appropriation of Greek
music by segments of the Israeli population/society which had no prior
contact with Greece or Greek music. Those who loved and supported
Greek laika music in Israel from the very beginning were those Jews
who immigrated to Israel from the Middle Eastern countries in the late
50's (in Israel they go under the common name "Mizrahim", that is
"Easterners"). Since some of you have heard me go on about this on
other forums, I won't elaborate any further. I have, however, added a
very interesting article to the files section. It's general theme is
the fate and experiences of the Greek Jews, both in the concentration
camps and in Israel, as well as the perception of Greece and Greek
Jews in Israeli culture. The most pertinent section is the one titled
The Israeli "Greek" Jew and "Greek" music in Israel, where you'll find
lots of info on the role of Greek music on the Israeli musical scene.
I have seen the film that Fleming mentions ("Salamoniko") and it's
actually Trifonas, not Aris San who plays the bouzouki and sings at
the taverna/party scenes. The movie is great fun, a kind of precursor
to "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

Lastly, here is a nice example of the Hebrew-Greek duets that have
become quite popular in Israeli oriental pop music. The guy who sings
in Hebrew is Avner Gadassi, one of the early Yemenite Greek or
oriental-style singers, while the Greek parts are performed by Yehuda
Saleas, and Israeli "Greek" singer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMp6A5cInQA

Best, Eva

On 17 Sep, 00:07, Maps N Mad <mapsn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Eva, this is particularly fascinating for me, since I have just
> married a Jewish woman. Connections between my Greek heritage and her
> Jewish heritage are particularly fascinating. At our wedding, I had
> chosen recordings of klezmer and Greek music that sounded somewhat
> similar, to sort of indicate how our families blend together.
>
> --moonie
>

> -- Sig? No, me?--- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

eva.b...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2007, 4:55:32 AM9/17/07
to Rebetika
Hi again,

The name of the file that I recently added to the Files section is
"Greek Jews-Greek music Israel".

Best, Eva

Nikos A. Politis

Sep 17, 2007, 5:15:40 PM9/17/07
to Rebetika

Eva, chassaposervikos was originally just a fast chassapikos, danced
as the normal, slow one. Today young people dance a chassaposerviko
piece in a circle, with a naïve, very easy to learn pace pattern. If
one has the opportunity to see real servikos danced by Serbians he
must consider himself lucky, an amazing folk choreography to a music
similar to a quick chassapikos.
On Sep 17, 11:55 am, "eva.bro...@gmail.com" <eva.bro...@gmail.com>

eva.b...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2007, 2:47:23 AM9/18/07
to Rebetika
Hi again,

Here are two videos with the Yiddish "Bulgar":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz6zpwYK3So

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKAQWfi3yec

And a neat snippet from Hungaria(?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Bzes7ZndA

I guess this is the style of Greek hasaposerviko you're referring to,
Niko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE3Lkf6M85I

And a more "showy" presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c9DKbRmEJw

Eva

> > Best, Eva- Dölj citerad text -

Nikos A. Politis

Sep 18, 2007, 1:22:16 PM9/18/07
to Rebetika
Exactly, Eva. The "showy" one is choreographed, but not too badly.

On Sep 18, 9:47 am, "eva.bro...@gmail.com" <eva.bro...@gmail.com>

Maps N Mad

Oct 26, 2007, 5:14:49 PM10/26/07
to Rebe...@googlegroups.com
I am still catching up on emails after some travelling, and I find
this topic fascinating. Thanks so much, Eva and Nikos! I have been
watching and listening to music most of the day. :D

--moonie

Access more controls in Ableton Live via MIDI, including Undo. Tip in
this thread:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2c68d3

-- Sig? No, me?--