PyScripter in Linux (Wine rules) :)

ajaksu

Apr 19, 2007, 4:04:22 PM4/19/07
to PyScripter
Hi,
This is just a quick note to share that PyScripter does run under Wine
in Linux. I'm using the official release and the only problems I'm
having are due to an borked Python install (Wine won't autoinstall the
Python .msi), but code highlighting, preferences, etc., are working.
I'm focusing at getting Python to install cleanly, then I'll use
PyScripter for a while to check any instabilities and then report a
HOWTO :)

As a small suggestion, getting a minimal (Win32) Python install
bundled with PyScripter would make things easier, but hopefully
that'll be workaround-able ;)

Thanks for this great tool!
Daniel

ajaksu

Apr 20, 2007, 10:17:14 PM4/20/07
to PyScripter
Hi again!

First, let me say that you can install Python 2.x MSIs just fine:
> wine msiexec path/to/python2x.msi

That said, PyScripter works great :)
The file explorer doesn't work out-of-the-box, nor does Source Views -
> Doc, but mostly everything else is OK. I have these screenshots at
1024x800 too, but I guess that anyone wanting to see more detail would
benefit from more interesting shots, so when I can really exercise
this setup I'll post better shots.

Pics:
(if you don't have javascript on, replace "view.php" with
"fullsize.php" for the larger versions)
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=43yi1if
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29kwg1c
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ni9llc
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rrvqy9
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=47afzb6
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=40ftzqo

Daniel

PyScripter

Apr 21, 2007, 7:33:17 PM4/21/07
to PyScripter
Excellent!

The forthcoming version 1.8.5 has a new command-line flag --
PYTHONPATHDLL which makes it easier to use with unregistered versions
of python such as movable python, portable python etc, and it would
help in the case of running under Linux with Wine where you could just
install one of these versions. Portable Python in particular (http://
www.portablepython.com/) is free. Have a look at the PyScripter help
topic "Using PyScripter with Unregistered Python" for details.

Regarding the File Explorer and Doc View:
If there is demand for it I could make a version of PyScripter with a
more Linux/Wine friendly version of File explorer and the doc view.
By the way the doc tab requires Internet Explorer 6 or higher to be
installed. Have you got it installed in your Wine environment?