Problem with setup.

Slip

Mar 7, 2006, 12:57:27 PM3/7/06
to Php Object Generator
I'm walking through the tutorial (extreme newbie alert!) and have
gotten stuck.

I've created a simple object and downloaded the .zip file. I've
unpacked it into a directory and edited the config file. The setup
procedure seems to work fine in step one, step two shows the table for
the diagnostic results, but nothing is displayed. Clicking the
'recheck database' link takes me back to step one.

I've also walked through the eclipse setup tutorial and I unpacked the
POG object zip file in a project sub-directory of the workbench. the
workbench directory is symlinked to the document root.

I haven't used eclipse before, so if someone knows of a good tutorial
on using its debug features, please let me know.

Joel

Mar 7, 2006, 1:27:18 PM3/7/06
to Php Object Generator
hi.

can you copy and paste the message that setup step 2 gives you in the
textarea?

that'd help us debug the situation.

Slip

Mar 7, 2006, 1:42:19 PM3/7/06
to Php Object Generator
I don't get any error message at all. The table of diagnostic results
remains blank and the 'proceed' link doesn't show up as it does in the
video tutorial.

Joel

Mar 7, 2006, 1:47:24 PM3/7/06
to Php Object Generator
Hi Slip,

find this line in /setup/index.php

ini_set("error_reporting", 0);

and comment it out. Then re-run setup.

you'll then see any unpredicted errors which is causing the setup to
fail.

copy and paste the errors here.

hope this helps.

Slip

Mar 7, 2006, 2:09:01 PM3/7/06
to Php Object Generator
Here's what I get.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in
/home/george/workspace/xyz/objects/class.database.php on line 15

Joel

Mar 7, 2006, 2:16:52 PM3/7/06
to Php Object Generator
Hi Slip,

it seems that you don't have mysql properly installed or configured...

you need to download and install mysql, configure it, then enable
php_mysql.dll in php.ini

POG assumes you have a working database. There are many good mysql
installation tutorials on the web.

Let me know if this helps.

joel

Slip

Mar 7, 2006, 2:35:33 PM3/7/06
to Php Object Generator
Yeah, it helps. I haven't got it yet, but I think it's something in
the php5 php.ini file. MySQL has been installed and running well for
a long time.

You might want to add a note about that 'ini_set("error_reporting", 0);
' trick to the troubleshooting section of your tutorial. It's handy.

Thanks much.