2.0.0 release

Joel

Apr 2, 2006, 4:24:05 AM4/2/06
to Php Object Generator
Hi all,

we've just release POG 2.0.0. Before I get into the details of what
improvements have been made from 1.6, here's the 1 things that didn't
make it to 2.0.0

1. out-of-the-box support for pog-ifying existing tables

however, we figured that since a few of you out - there are working on
solutions to reverse engineer existing tables into pog compatible
objects
(http://groups.google.com/group/Php-Object-Generator/browse_frm/thread/c46607391248abd1)
(thanks Sean!), pretty soon, there should be an elegant way to use POG
with existing tables.

now, with the good news, here's what's been added since 1.6

1. Relations (http://www.phpobjectgenerator.com/plog/file_download/21)
2. SOAP API, allow anyone to create other services on top of POG
(http://www.phpobjectgenerator.com/plog/file_download/18)
3. Improved setup unit tests and interface
4. repositioning of object attributes using "up" and "down" keyboard
arrows
5. fixed all known bugs
6. allows database port configuration for mysql
7. allows developer to turn data encoding on/off from configuration
file

because there's we've reached a pretty stable milestone and we can't
let feature creep delay the release, we're releasing what we have right
now as 2.0.0

Overall, this is definitely a better POG than 1.6.

But, since we're always trying to improve POG, here's what we have
planned for 2.0.1:

- Generate form for object in 1 click (almost there)
- Hopefully, out-of-the-box support for pogifying existing tables
- Validation?
- Better pagination object?

Thanks again for everyone's support. If you have any feedback, as
always, don't hesitate to use this forum.

Joel

Aaron Vegh

Apr 2, 2006, 9:28:01 AM4/2/06
to Php-Object...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joel,
Congratulations! I was wondering if you might comment on any issues
that developers need to be aware of if they want to upgrade their
application from 1.6- to 2.0-based?

Thanks,
Aaron.

Joel

Apr 2, 2006, 8:06:41 PM4/2/06
to Php Object Generator
Hi Aaron,

Upgrading shouldn't be a problem at all. We've kept backward
compatibility in mind. so there's not much to worry about.

what 2.0 gives you in particular, having looked at the gravity-gtd
project you're working on (http://www.gravity-gtd.ca),

- relations. pog can now automate the relations that you have between
your objects: projects, tasks, etc,
- disable encoding. you can now disable encoding in the configuration
file
- bug fixes

so i would say go ahead and upgrade your objects. should mean less
maintenance for you in the long run. what you have to decide though, is
whether u'll let pog take care of object relations or not. either,
should work for you.

hope this helps

joel

Aaron Vegh

Apr 2, 2006, 10:44:48 PM4/2/06
to Php-Object...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joel,
That's great news. I'll update Gravity to POG 2 in my next release --
0.4.5 is coming out in the next couple days.

And I've given the Parent/Child relationship functionality a
look-over. OMG, that's awesome. It'd take some re-writing, but it
looks like my life would be easier afterward.

Cheers,
Aaron.

Stephen Lawrence

Apr 3, 2006, 11:50:40 AM4/3/06
to Php Object Generator
I think you should be using relative path names in the downloadable zip
of created files. Right now you are using this:

/setup/...

But on Linux, that is bad because when I went to extract it, it tried
to extract it in my root directory instead of my current directory.

steve

Joel

Apr 4, 2006, 12:30:14 AM4/4/06
to Php Object Generator
hey stephen,

thanks!. this should be fixed now for *nix users.

thanks again.

Joel

Fred

Apr 5, 2006, 3:04:49 PM4/5/06
to Php Object Generator
Hi Joel,
I started using POG very recently, so I don't gave much experience with
it . It looks really great!

unfortunally, I have a problem:
Since I downloaded v2.0 of the POG setup, it is not showing me my
objects anymore. It is not showing an errormessage either. After I
click the button "POG me up!' I shows me the tab Diagnostics results
emty! the button "re-check database" is the only button.
I tried to change the port, but after doing that i got an error.
I also tried to delete the tables (already exists in the database), but
that doesn't help.
Do you have any suggestions ?

Thanks
Frederik

Joel

Apr 5, 2006, 4:14:19 PM4/5/06
to Php Object Generator
Hi Fred,

send me the @link for the object that is causing your trouble, i'll
look into it.

deleting the tables, if they already exist, before running setup is
good. that's what i would do too. but try to clean out the /objects/
folder as well and only leave the object that you're currently testing.

find the line that starts with ini_set .... in setup/index.php and
comment it out. and re-run setup. this might give you an error message
for further diagnostics.

hope this helps
joel

Joel

Apr 5, 2006, 4:16:06 PM4/5/06
to Php Object Generator
by the way. after re-reading your message, it seems that you only
upgraded the setup and not your objects. if that's the case, you need
to regenerate your objects as well since pog2.0 setup is not compatible
with 1.6 objects. versions for the setup and objects go hand in hand.

Fred

Apr 6, 2006, 2:52:47 PM4/6/06
to Php Object Generator
Eureka !
my mistake !
I was upgrading all my objects, but during that action I made a mistake
and copied accidentally the text of 1 object in two different
class-files.
I corrected that and it solved the problem.
Having this problem is quite stupid of me but .... trying to solve it
made me realise that there is few errordetection in the object. Example
I deleeted a table in the Mysql-databse and the class dit not return
any error. It just retuned no rows.
How do trap this kind of errors? Is there somthing that I'm missing?

Thanks a lot for your quick answer to my previous problem! Hope you
solve this one ;-)
Frederik

Joel Wan

Apr 6, 2006, 4:30:39 PM4/6/06
to Php-Object...@googlegroups.com
hi Frederik,

indeed, there are few error checks within the objects. As you mentioned, the objects assume the db/table is fine and working. The setup potentially addresses some of this by doing unit tests on all your objects. So if the setup tests pass, then you know your objects + database are OK. however, if the setup itself fails, then there is some manual investigation to do.

In PHP 4, there is not much we can do since exceptions are not supported.
In PHP 5+, we could potentially add some more error checking. Ideas such as the objects checking the state of the database + altering tables automatically when its internal attributes are modified are cool and feasible. However, it adds a lot of overhead and right now, we're trying to keep pog as light and simple as possible

In reality, once you get the setup portion of pog working, there's very little maintenance. So I think that a potential solution is simply improve the POG setup so that it detects more potential errors like the one you encountered and gives better error messages.

thanks for your feedback

joel