Boarding Ladder Recommendations

Tccbowie

Feb 5, 2015, 6:06:49 PM2/5/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

I am looking for recommendations for a boarding ladder for the side gate on a Passport 40.  I would like the gate to be foldable so that it can be secured at the gate when not in use.   Also I would appreciate information about where it was mounted, I assume the cap rail.

Thanks,

Tim Bowie

s/v  Osprey, 1982 Passport

Bob Peahl

Feb 5, 2015, 6:30:51 PM2/5/15
to Tccbowie, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
We purchased a Tops in Quality ladder, mounted on the cap rail.  We love it!  Perfect fit and does not grab sheets.  Easy to deploy or store.

Bob Peahl
Anthem P40/70

Sent from my iPhone
Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

John Wither

Feb 5, 2015, 9:49:26 PM2/5/15
to Tccbowie, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
Tim, I have a folding ladder that fits on either side of the boat.  It fits into two brackets (small) on the deck, over the cap rail and into the water.  There are two struts that fold out that hold the ladder off the hull. It had flat steps so no sore feet climbing out.  I am away at present and can send photo's in two weeks if you wish.

Regards

John wither
Perth, Aussie

Sent from my iPad

Rob Raymond

Feb 5, 2015, 10:50:07 PM2/5/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com, tccb...@msn.com
It would be nice if there was something "off the shelf" that would work as a mid-ships boarding ladder for our P40s. Perhaps if enough of us got together for an order, we could get something made semi-custom... assuming all the gunwales on our boats are the same. Our boat didn't come with a ladder, it was stolen from a  boat yard before we bought the boat, so we're also in the market.

George Louis

Feb 6, 2015, 1:11:57 PM2/6/15
to Rob Raymond, Passpor...@googlegroups.com, tccb...@msn.com
Mystic Stainless offers a ladder that can be mounted on the gunwals. Price is about $800.

George Louis
Petaluma, CA

Steve Slack

Feb 8, 2015, 2:20:11 PM2/8/15
to George Louis, Rob Raymond, Passpor...@googlegroups.com, tccb...@msn.com
Ditto. I have one and it's great. Mounts are on the cap rail. Can either fold and secure to the lifelines or remove and store below deck. This allowed me to build a more streamlined stern rail after Hurricane Ike reordered the stainless on the boat.

Steve Slack
s/v Susannne B
P40/127

Sent from my iPad

Alcoop

Feb 9, 2015, 12:09:13 PM2/9/15
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I have the West Marine gunwale mount ladder. and have used it quite a bit over the last 5 years. While it is not the most rugged device it is very serviceable and much easier to use then the swim ladder designed by Passport. which I removed to install the Monitor vane. and never put back even after I removed the vane when we came back from Mexico. To mount it for use two slots are installed on the deck and it has screws protruding from the curved end that fit in. Not the most secure but it could be modified to prevent any slipping. When not in use I keep it in the lazarette but it can easily be secured to the stansions or the cabin top.
S/V Krissy

ddockrat

Feb 9, 2015, 2:36:09 PM2/9/15
to Alcoop, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
It looks like a lot of the transom ladders have been removed. I would like to buy one of the folding stern ladder to replace my damaged one. If you would like to sell your take off please contact me with info.
Thanks
Jon Ash s/v Caribbean Soul P40 1984
401-741-4880. (Cell)

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 9, 2015, at 12:09 PM, Alcoop <adc...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have the West Marine gunwale mount ladder. and have used it quite a bit over the last 5 years. While it is not the most rugged device it is very serviceable and much easier to use then the swim ladder designed by Passport. which I removed to install the Monitor vane. and never put back even after I removed the vane when we came back from Mexico. To mount it for use two slots are installed on the deck and it has screws protruding from the curved end that fit in. Not the most secure but it could be modified to prevent any slipping. When not in use I keep it in the lazarette but it can easily be secured to the stansions or the cabin top.
S/V Krissy

Lou Mcfadden

Feb 11, 2015, 1:00:47 AM2/11/15
to Tccbowie, Passpor...@googlegroups.com

Tim, I also used Mystic Stainless.  Great product.  I use in my stbd gate, and I DID NOT fasten to toe rail because I didn't want to damage the teak rail.  I used rail fittings installed on the bottom of gate to install cross rail just above toe rail.  Then fastened the hinge to the new rail instead of on to rail. Let me know of interested, and I'll get you pics

Larry Rovin

Feb 11, 2015, 6:48:08 AM2/11/15
to Lou Mcfadden, Tccbowie, Passpor...@googlegroups.com

I’m also interested in this and would like to see pics.

Matthew Davidson

Dec 16, 2016, 3:28:47 PM12/16/16
to Passport Owners, tccb...@msn.com
Lou
Please provide picture of the Mystic Folding SS Ladder on your Passport 40. I would like to do the same...

Matthew
SV Wildflower
My Email Adderss is Mat...@anteccorporation.com

Lou Mcfadden

Dec 22, 2016, 8:46:15 AM12/22/16
to Matthew Davidson, POA, Tccbowie
Matt,
I have a 37.  The boat is not with me now.  I will search my picture archives later today to see if I can get you some pics
Lou
S/v Black Prince
Hull #14

To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com

To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
For more options, go to
http://groups.google.com/group/PassportOwners?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Passport Owners" group.

Bill Schmidt

Dec 22, 2016, 1:04:12 PM12/22/16
to Passpor...@googlegroups.com

Lou, Matt,Tim: We have exactly the same boarding ladder on the starboard side of Wind Witch w/o mounting plates. It stores folded against the boarding gate stanchion. I am doubtful as to who made it, but it was a 4 step ladder available at West Marine. It was too short to allow me to get out of the water in a wet suit, so, for very little money we had an additional step added. If I did it again, I would have added 2 steps  (same cost). I love not having that gargantuan stern back breaker  on the boat.

Billy Manana

bill.vcf

George Louis

Dec 22, 2016, 1:09:19 PM12/22/16
to Bill Schmidt, Passpor...@googlegroups.com
I too have the same ladder and replacing it with a 6 step one.

George Louis
Wind Thief

Sent from my iPad
<bill.vcf>

Rob Raymond

Dec 22, 2016, 1:41:29 PM12/22/16
to George Louis, Bill Schmidt, Passport List
Something to think about if you haven't yet installed a ladder. I put a Whitewater ladder in our starboard gate, I don't know why, I just did, 50/50 choice.

Now I'm thinking I'd like to have an outside shower near where we come out of the water for a quick rinse off after swimming etc. All the plumbing is on the port side of our boat, and the quarter berth is in the way of plumbing a shower on the starboard side.

I'll likely put a shower in the little compartment in the coaming on the port side of the cockpit, or somewhere around there (anyone have any good ideas here?) Unfortunately for someone who's anal like me that means moving the ladder to the port gate.

This may not be an issue for everyone :)

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:

Passport Owners Association http://passportyachts.org
To post to the group, use "reply all" or send email to PassportOwners@googlegroups.com
To reply to just the author, just use "reply:
<bill.vcf>

Bill Schmidt

Dec 23, 2016, 12:43:29 PM12/23/16
to Rob Raymond, George Louis, Passport List

 A shower in the cockpit would be nice.....and the easiest place to take that shower would be behind the wheel. Why not put a cockpit cubby with all the plumbing on the transom just forward of the backstay or forward of one of the ventilators? Routing plumbing, both hot and cold, would be easy. Separate water pump too. Wouldn't be in the way of feet when under way. Show off all your flesh to the whole anchorage too. Brag, brag, brag.

Just saying.

Billy Manana

bill.vcf

Lou Mcfadden

Jan 10, 2017, 12:05:25 AM1/10/17
to Bill Schmidt, POA
I did just that a couple  years ago.  Installed a neat wand shower accessible from inside port side cockpit  cubby (think it is made by whale)   super easy cause plumbing for hot and cold is right below at my hot water tank.  Hole in side of cubby allows retractable hose to be pulled into cockpit. It's a luxurious use of fresh water,  but it's hard to beat a hot water cockpit shower with such minimal effort and expense.
Lou McFadden
s/v Black Prince
P 37'

<bill.vcf>