Social Lessons: 'Try before you buy week': Access List required

Gaurav Mendiratta

Oct 29, 2008, 10:02:54 AM10/29/08
to PLBDs...@googlegroups.com

Greetings Fellow Dancers,

This Sunday we start are second quarter and we bring you Intermediate Salsa, Foxtrot, Samba and Intermediate Tango. For Intermediate Salsa and Tango you should have taken some lessons before. Any new dancers who took 3 or more beginner Salsa & Tango lessons in Quarter 1 would fit well and will love these lessons.

We are bringing back your favorite instructors, the amazing Christy Kam and the incredible Garincha Hilaire J.

I forgot to mention one very important thing, all these lessons are FREE this Sunday as this is our "try before you buy" week.  We know you'll love them, and we know that you'll be back :).  For the advance dancers we have Advanced Salsa from 4-5 pm, which is priced separately.

Access list is required for these lessons, if you are NOT a Penn student/faculty and are not on the attached list, so please email me by 12pm Saturday Nov 1st . Please only reply if you are NOT a Penn student or faculty.

One last thing before I give you the lesson details J, I would like to introduce a blog that Kathy Tang, our historian/costume coordinator has started and volunteered to maintain(Thanks Kathy!). She will be posting up dance routines from team lessons and posting pictures on our club through it. Check it out!

http://pennlatinandballroom.blogspot.com/

Below is all the information you need for Sunday Nov, 2nd .

WHAT, WHEN & WHERE:

Sun, Nov 2nd [Hoover Lounge, Vance Hall]

1.       12 PM - 1 PM: 'Intermediate Salsa' with Christy Kam

2.      1 PM - 2 PM: 'Beginner Foxtrot' with Christy Kam

3.      2 PM - 3 PM: 'Beginner Samba' with Garincha Hilaire

4.      3 PM - 4 PM: 'Intermediate Tango' with Garincha Hilaire

5.      4 PM - 5 PM: 'Advanced Salsa' with Garincha Hilaire  [Priced separately]

Location Details:

Hoover Lounge, Vance Hall [Access List needed]

37th and Spruce Streets – enter from the campus side at the east end of the building

The Hoover Lounge – Far West end of the first floor

Link highlighting Location of Vance Hall on the Penn Campus:
http://www.facilities.upenn.edu/mapsBldgs/view_map.php3?id=164

CLASS FEES: (You may pay via Cash or Check):

You do not need to pay this Sunday but if you would like to beat the rush next Sunday, we will be collecting fees so be sure to come in a bit early to join the class in time.

Beginner level lessons:

Students (any school): $30 for one quarter i.e. 6 weeks.

Penn Affiliates(faculty, staff, alumni):  $40 for one quarter

Everyone else: $60 for one quarter

Ala-carte (one day fee): $7 for students, $10 for Penn-affiliate and $12 for everyone else

Advanced Lessons:

Ala-carte (one lesson fee): $7 for students, $10 for everyone else.

Students: $25 for one quarter

Everyone else: $35 for one quarter.

Got questions?  I have some answers below; if they don't help, feel free to send me an email.

Best Regards,

Gaurav

Gaurav Mendiratta

Social Lessons Coordinator

University of Pennsylvania Latin & Ballroom Dance

Ph: 215-407-7790

FAQ:

Do I need to wear dancing attire/shoes?

- You don't need dress like a professional dancer. Comfortable and cool clothes are probably best. How dressy or casual is totally your call. Most of our social lesson crowd is pretty casual and most of the women who attend wear pants. On the other hand, many wear skirts or dresses and some really dress up! Just try to avoid anything that would restrict your movement or trip you. As for shoes, fashion-wise we do not care. You would be best served not wearing sneakers, crepe soles, or anything that does not allow you to spin or slide your foot. Here too, something comfortable that is not too tight or too loose would be best. The university would probably appreciate something that will not mark up the floor.

I do not have any experience with dancing, is that ok?

- That is absolutely fine. Most of our classes are beginner level unless specified as intermediate or advanced and most of the people in this class are entirely new to dancing or new to the dance being taught.

Do I need a partner?

- You do not need a partner to attend the social lessons. Partners are randomly assigned and rotated for better learning.

Where can I park?

- Please pay close attention to the parking regulations, as not all metered spots on the Penn Campus, are free on Sunday, as was previously the case, and this weekend there may be further restrictions.

Can I just take one lesson each day or do I have to take all?

- You can take any or all the lessons each day. You are not obliged to stay for all lessons.

Access_List_11_2_2008.doc