Is it safe?

PL8GUY

Jan 21, 2007, 11:30:11 PM1/21/07
to PL8SCAN Rants and Raves
I've seen some reviews expressing concerns that PL8SCAN isn't safe.
>From what I've been able to tell it sounds like the concern is about
someone being able to find personal information about someone else?
PL8SCAN was designed specifically to prevent that but maybe we didn't
make that clear. If you're concerned about this I'd be happy to answer
any questions.

drfunk...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2007, 12:51:50 AM1/22/07
to PL8SCAN Rants and Raves
So what kind of information can people get about you? I can just
imagine some creepy guy checking out my girlfriend and getting down her
license plate number and figuring out her phone number or where she
lives. How could you prevent that?

PL8GUY

Jan 22, 2007, 10:20:39 AM1/22/07
to PL8SCAN Rants and Raves
There's really no way to "check out" somebody. If you Scan a license
plate all you can find is other messages to it. When you Post a message
you're not given any information about who owns that plate. In fact
PL8SCAN doesn't even have that information.

Text message Posts comes to PL8SCAN and we in turn send a notice to
anyone who has requested notices for that plate. The notice we send out
includes the originators username but not their cell phone number. The
same is true if you reply to that notice.

Finally - you can look for a members' profile with their username but
they control what information is in it. Profiles can NEVER include
personally identifying information like phone numbers and addresses.

I hope this answers your question and concern. We understand that since
PL8SCAN is so new and innovative there's going to be some concerns
about safety and we encourage anyone with questions like this to ask.

You may want to take a look at the blog entry titled "Sticky notes on a
bulletin board" at <http://pl8scan.blogspot.com/>. It explains how
PL8SCAN works with an analogy that might help make it clearer.