Re: Re: Letter from Orissa Today Network Group to V

Manoj Padhi

May 2, 2007, 9:10:56 AM5/2/07
to Anand Shah [Vedanta University], orissa today, cv.kr...@vedanta.edu.in, c...@ori.nic.in
Dear Mr. Shah and Mr. Krishnan,

We thank you for your response and appreciate the professional way of clearing public queries at official level.
Thanks for your valuable time as well.

We have posted this at

and here by copying to state & national media to publish in their news papers./electronic media.

To Media friends:
We would appreciate if you please publish this press release in your news media. These queries were pondering in minds of many persons and hope they will get the answer.

On 2 May 2007 09:01:56 -0000, Anand Shah [Vedanta University] <anand...@vedanta.edu.in> wrote:

Dear Mr. Padhi and the OTN community,

Thank you for your continued patience as we aim to develop a world-class University in Orissa.  Your support and communication is highly valued in our common interests of development in Orissa and beyond.  Attached is a letter from CV Krishnan, CEO of the Vedanta University project, in response to your previous correspondence.

Best Regards,

Anand Shah

Consultant
Vedanta University
anand...@vedanta.edu.in

--
Q: What's the difference between the Government and the Mafia?

A: One of them is organised.

Manoj Padhi
Letter_OTN_Manoj_Padhi.doc

Umashankar Das

May 3, 2007, 2:45:09 AM5/3/07
to Oriss...@googlegroups.com
The replies seem to be quite satisfactory. Hopefully, this should resolve all our queries with regard to Vedanta. Manoj Babu, I would suggest that you please forward this reply across other forums.

It is important that this news is communicated to other possible naysayers of this project.

Thanks & Regards
Umashankar Das

Jibanendra Mahanty

May 3, 2007, 5:50:14 AM5/3/07
to oriss...@googlegroups.com
Dear Readers,

At the outset, I thank the VU authorities for their response to the  OTN's Letter dated the 8th April,2007 on the subject of the proposed Vedant University. In this connection I wish to state my views as follows:

AA. Poverty and backwardness of Orissa: Mr.Krishnan's statement on Orissa's poverty and backwardness  was  uncalled for, to say the least.  Perhaps, he is not aware that  one of the major factors responsible for the backwardness and poverty of the People of Orissa, is the exploitation of States Mineral Wealth and Forest Wealth by the Private Sector and the Public Sector without providing adequate sustainable returns to State and its People.  I do not wish to dwell upon the said subject here. However, it is encouraging to note that the present generation is reacting to such exploitation and is demanding its  just and fair dues.

BB.It is encouraging to note that VU proposes a self sustained and "Stand alone" World Class University Campus complete with all infrastructure and utilities. It is presumed that VU will have its own  Captive Power Generation facilities, Water Supply System, Sewage and Effluent treatment plants & disposal system,etc  so as not to depend upon the State Services. As the ground water is saline ( as stated by Mr.Krishnan) I am sure VU will go for  a state-of-art Water Desalination Plant to meet the water demand of the vast Campus, without imposing burden on the existing sources of Natural Portable Water.

CC. Land Acquisition : It is noted that VU is purcahsing Land directly from the Local People at fair market price.

The exploitation of the people starts, when they are not paid the Market Fair Price. For an example, TATA Steel is acquiring land for  their New green field Steel Plant in Kharswan area of Jharkhand, paying as much as Rs.40.00 Lakhs per acre for the barren hilly tracks,  much above the market price ( vide the Telegraph, dated the 1st May'07)  to ensure hassle-free Land Acquisition and to earn good will of the Local People. Whereas in Orissa, the Industrialists acquire land for a song, thus denying the  fair value of the land to the poor Villagers. Thus the people of Orissa remain in perpetual poverty.

DD. The description on other aspects of the Project,  given by Mr.Krishnan,  reads well. But unfortunately, in our Country, there is always a wide variance between the statements made and the ultimate ground realities.  I wish,  VU  proves  to be an exception.

But if we go by the ETV-Oriya News report, dated the 2nd May, 07, ( 07.00 PM- 07.30 PM)with Video footings, I was apalled to see that  the same Vedanta  Group has set up a Medical Centre at Lanjigarh, where there is no Doctor nor the baisc amenities. Is this the way to look after the health of Project Workers , Mining Labour and the Displaced people ?

It may not be out of place to state that as per International Standards, even for a Construction Project engaging 200 workers, it is mandatory  for the Owner of the Project to provide a proper Medical Centre with  a Doctor, a Male Nurse  and Ambulances in attendance, at the Site. Where as the Vedant Group has totally ignored the interest of the Workers and Displaced People at their Lanjigarh Mining Areas and Alumina Plant Site.

 It is expected that the Vedanta Group/ VU  will comply with International Statndards in respect of  "Health, Safety and Environment" requirements, and do not provide room for doubting their "Intentions"

I will appreciate if Orissa Today Group also writes  to  VU on the Subject.

Thanks,

J.N.Mahanty

Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 07:10:56 -0600
From: manoj...@gmail.com
To: anand...@vedanta.edu.in
Subject: OTN: Re: Re: Letter from Orissa Today Network Group to V
CC: Oriss...@googlegroups.com; cv.kr...@vedanta.edu.in; c...@ori.nic.in

Umashankar Das

May 3, 2007, 6:10:55 AM5/3/07
to Oriss...@googlegroups.com
Manoj Babu and Readers,

   At the risk of sounding repetitive I would like to brief a few points. Firstly, We have had a discussion on the relative merits of the discussion above.

But to me, the statements below run a risk of sounding like beating the old drum again. It has been agreed earliar that Vedanta due to it's past history has it's reputation which is a bit suspect. But I might want to add that It has been agreed that since, this foundation (Vedanta Foundation ) which other than having a common donor(Mr. Agarwal) is accepted to be different from the Vedanta group of companies.

If I've misunderstood the statements below, please accept my apology. But, If Jibanendra Babu is trying to say that Because of the lanjigarh problems we write to the CEO of Vedanta University (Mr. Krishnan) I will be very dissapointed.

Considering the questions which have been raised in this forum. Vedanta CEO has been kind enough to spend time to answer these questions. I think this deserves respect.

Continuous repetition of the same issue would be equivalent to assuming that the explaination provided has not been well-received and understood. Please note, I'm just discussing the perception which can be reflected due to such questions.

Simaltaneously, I must note that the comments provided are actually genuine and they deserve the right sort of Introspection. Hopefully, as a responsible forum we learn to differentiate between the Vedanta University and the Vedanta Metals group, because both of them are actually registered as different entities completely.

If we look at US universities, names like Harvard, Carnegie, Rockfeller were instrumental in starting big institutions. But, the same names were guilty of various Industrial practices which would not be condoned by our environmentalists today.

The fact was that, becuase of their contributions, the universities(Harvard, Carnegie-Mellon) are leading names in Education.

My two penny thoughts please don't take offence. Nothing personal here.

Thanks & Regards
Umashankar Das