Error during installation

dmontaine

Feb 19, 2009, 9:18:18 AM2/19/09
to OpenQM
I am getting the following error while trying to install QM
commercial. Am I missing a required package on this server?

/tmp/qmsxa.z11935/lbin/install: error while loading shared libraries:
libpam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Ashley Chapman

Feb 19, 2009, 9:26:35 AM2/19/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,

Looks like your missing the pam (pluggable authentication) modules.
What Linux distribution and version are you using?

2009/2/19 dmontaine <dmon...@gmail.com>:
--
Ashley Chapman

dmontaine

Feb 19, 2009, 9:33:34 AM2/19/09
to OpenQM
It looks at though it is debian 64.

ash.c...@gmail.com

Feb 19, 2009, 10:05:04 AM2/19/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
2009/2/19 dmontaine <dmon...@gmail.com>:

> It looks at though it is debian 64.

I don't think that Debian 64bit is a supported platform. Martin can
clarify, hopefully.
--
Ashley Chapman

dmontaine

Feb 19, 2009, 1:50:01 PM2/19/09
to OpenQM
I didn't set up the machine, but looking at it, many of the 32 bit
compatible libraries are installed,
but the 32 library for pam is not. I have qm running very reliably on
a 32 bit version of Debian.
I can see no reason why qm would not work with the appropriate 32 bit
libraries installed.
But, if they have to, they can always revert to 32 bit.

On 19 Feb, 07:05, "ashley.chap...@billabong-services.co.uk"
<ash.chap...@gmail.com> wrote:

dmontaine

Feb 20, 2009, 1:54:57 AM2/20/09
to OpenQM
There is a Debian package ia32-libs that needed to be installed. Once
that was done, the installation worked perfectly.

ash.c...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2009, 2:46:51 AM2/20/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
2009/2/20 dmontaine <dmon...@gmail.com>:

> There is a Debian package ia32-libs that needed to be installed. Once
> that was done, the installation worked perfectly.

Thanks for posting this. I'm planning on testing out a 64bit Ubuntu
in the near future.

Can you let us know of any other issues or findings, please?
--
Ashley Chapman

Martin Phillips

Feb 20, 2009, 4:26:56 AM2/20/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

> I don't think that Debian 64bit is a supported platform. Martin
> can clarify, hopefully.

You are correct that it is not an officially supported platform but I would
expect it to work.

I see that this has been resolved as a missing package. From our own
experience, it seems that not all Linux variants install PAM by default.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton, NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200

ash.c...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2009, 5:18:02 AM2/20/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
2009/2/20 Martin Phillips <martinp...@ladybridge.com>:

> Hi all,
>
>> I don't think that Debian 64bit is a supported platform. Martin
>> can clarify, hopefully.
>
> You are correct that it is not an officially supported platform but I would
> expect it to work.

I want to test out Anji and OpenQM on a 64-bit multiprocessor box with
lots of RAM. I'll be collating my findings, and will report back what
needs to be done to get everything working well. Hopefully that will
help you to make 64-bit platforms officially supported.

Any ideas what needs to be done to get the GPL release to compile on
the 64-bit box in 32-bit mode? I understand that compiling in 64bit
mode is a non-starter because of the default integer sizes (or
similar).

--
Ashley Chapman

Martin Phillips

Feb 20, 2009, 5:42:48 AM2/20/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ashley,

> Any ideas what needs to be done to get the GPL release to compile
> on the 64-bit box in 32-bit mode?

None at all. Sorry.

Henry Unger

Feb 20, 2009, 2:38:33 PM2/20/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
Typically, even on 64 bit operating systems, you can compile an application
for 32 bit operation. For example, we build our applications as 32 bit
applications on 64 bit Windows, Linux, HP-UX, and Solaris. You use compiler
switches to control it.

Henry P. Unger
Hitech Systems, Inc.
http://www.hitech.com

ash.c...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2009, 3:12:10 PM2/20/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
On 20/02/2009, Henry Unger <hun...@hitech.com> wrote:

> Typically, even on 64 bit operating systems, you can compile an application
> for 32 bit operation. For example, we build our applications as 32 bit
> applications on 64 bit Windows, Linux, HP-UX, and Solaris. You use compiler
> switches to control it.

Yep, that's what I'm looking for. Any idea what the GCC switches
would be for the QM build?

I suspect that I'm going to have to do a load of RTFM and Googling to
find the answers. Just hoping for some clues from those who have
trodden the path before.
--
Ashley Chapman

Henry Unger

Feb 20, 2009, 4:10:47 PM2/20/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
Looking at our Linux makefiles, it appears that by default gcc compiles 32
bit, and you have to specify -m64 for 64 bit.

From the man page:

-m32
-m64
Generate code for a 32-bit or 64-bit environment. The 32-bit
environment sets int, long and pointer to 32 bits. The 64-bit
environment sets int to 32 bits and long and pointer to 64 bits.

Henry

ash.c...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2009, 3:33:36 AM2/23/09
to Ope...@googlegroups.com
2009/2/20 Henry Unger <hun...@hitech.com>:

> Looking at our Linux makefiles, it appears that by default gcc compiles 32
> bit, and you have to specify -m64 for 64 bit.
>
> From the man page:
>
> -m32
> -m64
> Generate code for a 32-bit or 64-bit environment. The 32-bit
> environment sets int, long and pointer to 32 bits. The 64-bit
> environment sets int to 32 bits and long and pointer to 64 bits.
>
> Henry
>
> Henry P. Unger
> Hitech Systems, Inc.
> http://www.hitech.com

Thank you, Henry.

Now, I'm just waiting for the server to arrive...
--
Ashley Chapman