Feedback: What 311 data is most useful to you?

Ben Sheldon

Mar 19, 2012, 10:10:19 PM3/19/12
to opengov...@googlegroups.com, Chicago
Do you have a project/process that would benefit from access to or analysis of Chicago 311 data? Or electronically submitting 311 service requests?

Code for America is identifying high public-value subsets of 311 data to be exposed through the City of Chicago's upcoming Open311 Public API. These subsets of data are organized by "Service Request Type", which is based on a taxonomy for customer service tickets and citizen information; that taxonomy includes everything from "pothole" to "west nile virus". Some data is already exposed through the City's Data Portal, but Open311 provides a more developer friendly API to read AND write service requests.

We've put together a quick survey to collect feedback:
http://bit.ly/GzOeQC

Also, you can download a list of all service request types with explanation:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55826880/Open311/Chi311-Code_Book_2012.xls

…as well as the top 50 most utilized service request types:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55826880/Open311/Chi311-top_50.xls

Please note that rolling out Open311 will be an iterative process---there is a fair amount of effort required to map a particular service request type's 311 data schema to the Open311 API. Eventually most service types will be made available, but we'd like to prioritize which types should be released sooner rather than later. Public Open311 data may not contain departmental process data and will not contain personally identifiable information. Also, this survey is administered by Code for America, not the City of Chicago.

We'd love your feedback so here is another link to the survey (and feel free to email us too):
http://bit.ly/GzOeQC

--
Ben Sheldon
b...@codeforamerica.org

Ben Sheldon

Mar 19, 2012, 10:54:49 PM3/19/12
to opengov...@googlegroups.com, Chicago
Whoops, if you tried to access the form and couldn't… please try again:
https://docs.google.com/a/codeforamerica.org/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEljaVBTTVl6d0Ywb0JjVnMyOXVxanc6MQ

--
Ben Sheldon
b...@codeforamerica.org
2012 Fellow @ Code for America

> b...@codeforamerica.org (mailto:b...@codeforamerica.org)

Tom Kompare

Mar 30, 2012, 12:06:37 PM3/30/12
to Open Government Chicago-land
Ben,

I'll take the survey in a bit. This 311 request type list is an
education in and of itself. Thank you of providing it to the list.
You now have me thinking of the possibilities.

Cheers.

--Tom Kompare