Jay Primus' outreach

Nicky Jacobson

Jan 20, 2012, 12:30:14 AM1/20/12
to Stop Parking Meters in Dogpatch, Potrero and Mission Bay
Here's a great email stream sent form John Lum about outreach. Note
that he said he did outreach to Zspace, they said they've never spoken
to him and don't agree with the meters and are the ones who offered a
space for everyone to meet on Jan 30th to oppose the plan.

HI Nicky,
Thanks for this. I will try to review. FYI, I have attached the e-
mail string that occurred your Dogpatch was involved for my request
for the survey information from Primus. I sent my e-mail to him on
January 12, 2012.

John Lum

Jay:

This is not acceptable.

You mean to tell me that you are using a federal grant of over $20
million dollars to implement your metering program and you don't have
any records to document who you met with, or who influenced your
decision making? I am shocked that you cannot provide a log of the
people that you have met. Do you have any standards that you are held
too when you are administrating a grant/tax payer money?

The whole point of a community outreach is to try to engage the
community in a meaningful dialogue. Your admittance that you have no
records of this outreach demonstrates to me that your agency again,
has failed to meet any standards when it comes to conducting a
meaningful dialogue with the community that you are purportedly trying
to help. You cannot prove that you met with anyone without records of
these meetings. I sat on a Commission for ten years, and it is
irresponsible that your meetings with the public are not documented.
You claim that you have sent out drafts to major stake holders over
150 people, yet you have no record of this?

In your outreach to the stakeholders in our community you
unfortunately left out all of the people who live here. You claim
that you met with Project Artaud who you said were supportive of the
metering, yet several artists last week who live in that complex told
me that you never met with anyone there, and certainly not with anyone
who had any authority.

To blame Planning or Supervisor Kim's office for the limited outreach
does not absolve you of the failure to conduct an outreach to the
residents as well as the numerous small businesses that exist here.
Also posting English only signs in a neighborhood that is multilingual
is culturally insensitive, and also shows how out of touch your agency
is to the needs of our community.

From your e-mail, you admit that you basically gave only a month to
unveil the program to the general public.

Do you really think this is fair and is a reasonable time to get
consensus on a program that has a substantial financial and
environmental impact on our neighborhood? I requested that you
postpone this hearing for at least a month and you refused, saying
that you gave my community plenty of time to comment.

Is that why the Dog Patch neighborhood has collected over 1000
signatures to oppose this plan? Is that why we had over 50 people
last week attend a meeting last week opposing your plan for the
Mission?

You would think that if you actually wanted to build consensus and get
support for your program you would want to engage in a dialogue with
the people who at going to have to live with consequences of your
program.

For someone who purportedly is creating a progressive parking program
to better our environment, it's ironic how you have missed the part
about inclusion and
Iistening to the community.

Your lack of documentation is unacceptable and your inability to give
me the names of the people you met with goes directly against the
intent of the Sunshine Ordinance.

I again, formally ask you to postpone the hearing for this plan, and
restart the neighborhood outreach program, as you have no proof that
you actually have done one.

John Lum