2 More SOA protesters sentenced to 6 months prison -- White Rose CWer Chris Spicer one of the two.......

Frank Cordaro

Jan 7, 2011, 2:52:47 PM1/7/11
to National CW E-mail List
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: SOA Watch <in...@soaw.org>
Date: Thu, Jan 6, 2011

Justice Denied: Activists Imprisoned, SOA Remains Open

Federal Judge sentences SOA Watch activists to six months in prison

Once again, the justice system's complicity with the abuses taught at
the School of the Americas was exposed yesterday at the trial of
anti-militarization activists Nancy Smith and Chris Spicer. Nancy,
from New York, changed her plea to no contest and was immediately
sentenced to 6 months in prison by Magistrate Judge Stephen Hyles. In
the SOA Watch tradition of using the court to put a spotlight on the
SOA/WHINSEC, Nancy affirmed that she “felt a strong moral imperative”
to carry out her nonviolent act of civil disobedience “on behalf of
those who have suffered so terribly”.

Chris, (a member of the White Rose CW in Chicago) from Illinois, plead
not guilty but was declared guilty by Judge Hyles and sentenced
likewise to 6 months. In his closing statement before sentencing,
Chris addressed the ongoing human rights abuses in Latin America
carried out by graduates of the School of the Americas, and his need
to confront the “paralysis of fear” that has gripped the country in
recent times.

In November, Franciscan priest Fr. Louis Vitale, OFM and David Omondi
of the Los Angeles Catholic Worker Community both pled no contest and
were sentenced to the maximum 6 months in jail.

The decision by Judge Hyles to impose the maximum penalty for a
nonviolent act of civil disobedience exposes the political nature of
the trials and the justice system. However, we take the energy of
Nancy, Christopher, David and Louis, along with the thousands of our
brothers and sisters who have been massacred, raped, tortured and
disappeared in their fight for a culture of peace with justice, and we
will continue to move forward.

We hope to see you all in Washington, DC, in April to bring the fight
to close the SOA and end US militarism to the doorsteps of our policy
makers. http://www.soaw.org/take-action/lobby-days

The struggle is long, but we will prevail!

________________________________

Nancy Smith gave an interview to Tamar Sharabi following Father Louis'
trial in November in front of the courthouse in Georgia:
http://www.soaw.org/presente/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=340&Itemid=81

________________________________

Current Updates on Nancy and Chris:
Nancy and Chris have now been transferred to the Irwin County, GA
detention center where they will remain until further notice. Nancy
can be written at the following address:

Nancy H. Smith
Irwin County Detention Center
132 Cotton Drive
Ocilla, GA 31774

Chris can be written at the following address:
Christopher Spicer
Irwin County Detention Center
132 Cotton Drive
Ocilla, GA 31774

Click here for tips about how to write to prisoners of conscience:
http://soaw.org/about-us/pocs/150-articles/3578-tips-for-writing-to-prisoners

We are not sure how long they will be there or when they will be
transferred. Please be sure to check the webpage for the current
addresses of Nancy and Chris. April Action DC

Contact us.

Our mailing address is:
SOA Watch, PO Box 4566, Washington, D.C. 20017, USA

Our telephone: (202) 234 3440