NYC & DM CWers do solidarity actions in support of the 131 Arrested at Vet-led Civil Resistance Against Wars at White House today

Frank Cordaro

Dec 17, 2010, 8:29:06 AM12/17/10
to National CW E-mail List
131 Veterans and others were arrested December 16 in front of the White House.
http://www.stopthesewars.org/?p=366

Nine min video of arrest of 131 Vets and friends at White House
http://warisacrime.org/

After a 10 am rally in Lafeyette Park featuring Daniel Ellsberg of
Pentagon Papers fame, retired CIA officer Ray McGovern, Dr. Margaret
Flowers of Physicians for a National Health Program, and others,
activists formed a solemn single-file process to the White House,
silent except for a drum beat. There, they encountered police
barricades. Some veterans began climbing over the barricades, until
the police opened them up, allowing people to approach the fence in
front of the White House.

As the light snow increased to heavy and began accumulating, activists
kept warm by singing and chanting. At about 12:30, police began
arresting protesters who remained along the fence, while supporters
who did not want to risk arrest were moved across the broad street.
Some of the demonstrators stood in the snow and freezing temperatures
for nearly four hours before being taken to Anacostia processing
center and released. They have all since been released. Some have
elected to pay a fine, while others, including Ellsberg and McGovern,
will go to trial on the charge of disobeying a lawful order.

Link to photos from White House demo:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ellen.rachel.davidson/CivilResistanceToWarsAtTheWhiteHouseOn121610#

For more info nationally contact:

Mike Ferner, 419-360-3621;
Elaine Brower, 917-520-0767;
Leah Bolger, 541-207-7761
Veterans For Peace, 314-725-6005,
veteransforpeace.org, stopthesewars.org

From: Felton Davis <davisf...@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Eleven Arrested in Times Square Antiwar Action – 5 of them Cwers!

Cathy Breen, Carmen Trotta, Matt Tessitore and I joined Dorothy Day's
grand-daughter Martha Hennessy, two local members of Veterans for
Peace, Professor James Marsh of Fordham University, and three others
in a symbolic blockade of 44th Street opposite the military recruiting
station in Times Square.

We were all taken to the midtown south precinct, and released later in
the evening with summonses for Disorderly Conduct. We'll be going to
court on March 1st for this arrest. We certainly appreciate the
support we got from over a hundred people who chained themselves to
the White House fence, and look forward to sharing our stories with
them, in the hopes of a rekindled antiwar movement in the days to
come.

Felton Davis
c/o Maryhouse
(212) 777-9617
davisf...@yahoo.com

---------------------

Five Iowa VFP join DM's hour long weekly Thursday "Peace Vigil" in
Nollen Plaza in down town DM. DMCWer Ed Bloomer one of the five IA
vets. After vigil Iowa vets marched to the DM Fed building and
deliver solitary letters for their fellow vets arrested in Wash DC to
Senator Grassely and Harkin's offices. (See attached doc for copy of
solidarity letter.)

The five Iowa vets in the attached photo in front of the DM Fed
building are: (LtoR) Elton Davis, William Stansbery, Gil Landolt,
DMCWer Ed Bloomer and Dennis Paul

For more info locally contact:

Gil Landolt - 515 333-2180
peac...@hotmail.com

Bill Basinger - 515 277-6296
jeanba...@gmail.com

Ed Bloomer – DM Catholic Worker
515 243-0765

Dec 16 - Nollen Plaza weekly vigil with VFP.JPG
5 IA VFP - Dec 16 DM Feb building.JPG
10 12 16 letter to Harkin&Grassley.odt