Address for letters to Fr Carl Kabat in jail awaiting trial and note from Tom Hastings

Frank Cordaro

Aug 10, 2009, 12:35:58 PM8/10/09
to National CW E-mail List
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Hastings <pcw...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 10, 2009

Please send solidarity letters and postcards to

Fr. Carl Kabat OMI
Weld County Jail
2110 O Street
Greeley, CO 80631

Several of you asked me to send follow-up information on this.

Fr. Carl Kabat OMI, 75, has spent 17 years in jail for nonviolent
resistance to nuclear weapons (in and out since his first one in 1980,
and his most serious punishment came when he and his brother Paul,
Helen Dery Woodson and Whitefeather hammered on the lid of a nuclear
missle silo in 1984).  Carl was arrested last Friday on Hiroshima Day
cutting into a Minuteman 3 nuclear weapon silo in Colorado and
beginning a plowshares action.  The first strike missile is on hair
trigger alert.

I recall at one other trial of John LaForge and Barb Katt in Minnesota
federal district court the judge admonishing Carl to stop folding and
placing little multicolored cranes on the rail separating the
spectators from the officers of the court and the defendants. I was
sitting directly behind him in the spectator section and it was
amusing.

Carl has always been a lousy public speaker, teaching by action, faith
and example. He grew up on a farm in Illinois and I met his mother in
Kansas City at the trial with Whitefeather. She was just this sweet
old farm lady with two priests for sons who kept getting in trouble
for standing up for life irrespective of the consequences. I haven't
seen him since I visited him in Sandstone prison.

Tom H. Hastings
Director, PeaceVoice Program,
Oregon Peace Institute
2009 PeaceVoice Conference: