A list of things I use my Moleskine for.

Becky

Jul 24, 2008, 9:23:14 AM7/24/08
to Moleskinerie
Hey guys, thanks for posting all your ideas. They're very interesting
to read!

I thought I'd make my own list of things that I use my moleskine for,
so I hope I give you guys some ideas.

1) Wishlists
2) To-Do, To-Buy, To-Watch & To-Read lists
3) Movie, Book, Song, Play reviews
4) Dreams I've had & want to remember
5) Weight Loss Journal / Food Journal / Fitness Journal
6) Typical "Dear Diary.." entries (to get things off my mind)
7) Random Sketches/Doodles
8) Projects list
9) Shopping/Grocery Lists
10) Poetry
11) Creative Collages
12) Snippets from articles that you love to read and re-read!
13) Letters to your family members or friends, or love letters
14) Index Cards with notes/drawings fit nicely in the pocket at the
back

:)

Erisraven

Jul 24, 2008, 11:12:04 AM7/24/08
to Moleskinerie
Great list, Becky!

I do 1-10, though I think I should try the rest! What can I possibly
add to that...

My hobbies are running tabletop RPGs (like D&D, etc) and writing. So
add
15) plot outlines
16) character stories/sketches

and other tidbits
17) phone list
18) list of product info I need (printer type and cartridges required,
batteries for various staff, etc.)
19) list of emergency o-my-god-I-lost-my-wallet numbers
20) Restaurant reviews/ideas
21) Affirmations

All right, who's next? :)

-Erisraven

bookworm

Jul 24, 2008, 4:39:10 PM7/24/08
to Moleskinerie
I pretty much use mine in an addicted way like a daily log/diary with
lots of photos recording events in my life. I lead a busy life so
pages fill pretty quickly. I average 1 Moleskine lined large notebook
per 3 months or less. I put entertainment, sport event tickets I
attend, photos, autographs of famous people I encounter, books I read
etc.

I also have a pocket Moleskine I enter memorable astronomical
viewings, comets, eclipses, observations of the deep sky objects
through telescopes of others etc.

I then have another pocket Moleskine on the go to record information I
may refer later. Quotes or good lines I hear or read I may use in my
conversations.

Then of course i have my reliable Moleskine Agenda. This year i used
the Red one with the flexible red note book and phone book 3 in 1. I
found it great but little too bulky for the front shirt pocket so for
2009 I got the Black agenda with phone book, little thinner.

I also have and love my New York City Book. I've been to new York 9
times last year. It has been an unseparable companion. It is
functional and very cool. I wish though you could buy the clear
acetate self sticky sheets you put over the maps separately. Once you
run out of them that's it. You then start writing on the actual maps
and it eventually creates a mess.

The manufacturer also listened to my only complaint that was the very
light and hard to read type face on the agendas. 2009 they have
corrected this problem and now the dates are very easy to read.

Be well my Moleskine addict friends.
Clear Skies and Good Writing Always

Fred "bookworm"

David Gonterman

Jul 24, 2008, 5:10:50 PM7/24/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I started off with pocket Moleskines (They fit nice and neat in a
shirt or jeans pocket, and they're built like tanks. Italy knows
their stuff) because I needed a place to put ideas and to-do lists.
And the bad habit ( :) ) branched out from there.

I still have pocket 'Skines for idea jotting, but I also have a Daily
Journal for time management and an Address Book for snail mail. I
tried my hand out with Cahiers for topical duties to keep track of
editing notes and writing stats, and I've recently buying larger
'Skines to collect notes on various major projects. I have one for my
next novel, Blood and Metal, and planning on getting a second for
another big project I'm working with friends.

Once one of my projects connect to a publisher or something that is
really big, I might get an Info Book and convert it to a GTD format.

And while I haven't been in any major cities that has a City Notebook,
I'll definitely get one if I have to move there.

--
Daveykins Foxfire of FoxFire Studios
http://foxfirestudios.net

Treasure The Word

Jul 24, 2008, 5:52:06 PM7/24/08
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I became hooked on Moleskine back in March, and they have come in quite
handy. I use three large moleskines now. One I use for sermon notes. I
have found that as a pastor, I am able to absorb the information from
Scripture much better if I write my notes for my sermons rather than simply
type them in. This Moleskine is called SN-1.

I use another moleskine --- a large, 18-month planner that will implement
GTD. I split the left page in half: one half is for church calendaring, the
other is for home and school (getting my doctorate), so it helps me keep
track. I keep the addresses and phone numbers of all my members in the
pocket of this one.

My last moleskine is a large plain paper one dealing with the Vision and
Values of our church. It's basically a sketch pad for brainstorming as well
as taking other notes at conferences I go to to help us moving in a good
direction for our church and community.

I recently blogged about this here:
http://expositionalogistix.wordpress.com/2008/07/04/when-journaling-helps-your-preaching/

Later!

Matt P.
Lexington, KY

shinobi77

Jul 25, 2008, 2:17:56 AM7/25/08
to Moleskinerie
Interesting topic!

I use my pocket moleskine for:

1. sketches of my garden herbs for identification
2. list of herbs and their medical applications
3. gathered procedures for processing tofu and other health food
4. a list of my favorite bible verses
5. Important contact info from conferences and meetings
6. Random notes gathered from travels and conversations.

I find my large moleskine to be too expensive for regular note taking.
I treat it like an archive for worthwhile thoughts and ideas. I
usually write on it at the end of the day putting in more refined
ideas and occasionally transfer stuff from my smaller notebooks to
become more well organized reference.

Jeff Ong, MD
Philippines

olivier...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2008, 5:55:53 AM7/25/08
to Moleskinerie
I have five Moleskines: the usual pocket weekly planner (one week per
page), which I use for my appointments, but also for my To-Do lists;
and three large cahiers.
I use one cahier for recipes that I collect from a variety of sources
(magazines, friends, etc.)
Another cahier is used to track the American election: anything
interesting happening in the campaign is recorded, including poll
numbers, cash raised, VP names, etc.
Finally, the third cahier is used for travel and business trips. I
write down notes on lectures, exhibitions, etc. that I attend when
away.

I also have a ruled notebook, which I call my "Book of Useless Facts",
where I write down all the useless facts I learn of. For example, "a
four-year-old kid will ask on average 437 questions a day!" :-)

Olivier

Frank

Jul 25, 2008, 10:21:03 PM7/25/08
to Moleskinerie
Many of the things have been listed already:

1) Daily agendas and to-do-lists
2) Shopping lists
3) Reading list/list of library books
4) weight loss/sleeping time list
5) Lists of what to pack when going travelling

Here are a thing which are, well, the theoretical physicist's version
of creativity and poetry

6) Notes from talks and conferences
7) Plans of presentations and slideshows
8) Plans for papers and publications including hand-written first
drafts (it is so much easier to think when you do not have to focus on
how to typeset your equations)
9) Drafts for blackboard talks
10) Tracking of my students' projects
11) Collections of items for group meetings
12) Excerpts of books and papers I am reading (good tool for staying
focused, if you want to read math it helps to write it alongside)

marcwomm

Aug 4, 2008, 7:46:49 AM8/4/08
to Moleskinerie
Hi,
here is how I use my Moleskines.
I got the first one as a present a few years ago and since then I have
developed the following usage:

A.) Large Ruled Moleskine
Front to Back - Diary (very close to Mike Rhode's design (http://
www.flickr.com/photos/rohdesign/152626650/)
I start with about 4 months and add month after month as needed. The
left area of a day is used for appointments and in the right side of a
day I right
the things I need to do on that particular day.

Back to Front - Journal for my daily thoughts about everything ( I
number the pages and use headers for every entry and do an index when
the notebook is full, so I can easily find older entries again.

Using this method, both diary and journal meet somewhere in the middle
after a while and then it's time to start a new one.

B.) Large Ruled Moleskine Soft Cover
Front to Back - GTD Next action Items
Back to Front - Meeting Minutes, Project list, Project Plans etc.

C.) Pocket Plain Moleskine
my Inbox which is with me all the time, in the office, on my shopping
trip, on excursions, in the car etc and it holds all an everything I
want to remember; eg new books I saw, phone numbers, websites,
directions .....

best regards
Marcus

Andrew

Aug 5, 2008, 2:30:33 AM8/5/08
to Moleskinerie
I have 3 'skines. One is a ruled soft cover version used for work
related items like project ideas, general notes and Todo lists. I also
use Gmail for online storage so I have created an indexing system in
my Moleskine to help me find documents, emails and other important
stuff. This seems to work quite well with my Blackberry.

Another is used for totally arb doodles and scribblings which seem to
help with my creative thinking processes. I have a small hardcover
pocket version which I use for lists, movies to see, books to read,
software to download, quotes and other pithy observations. Also living
in Africa I get to write up all the cool birds and animals I see when
hiking or just hiding out in the bush being a slacker of note

: )