Moleskine Deal!

broo...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2007, 2:50:23 PM10/23/07
to Moleskinerie
Just thought I'd share this with the folks here. I was on vacation
last week in PA. While my wife was shopping for some children's
clothes, I took our energetic 3 year old elsewhere. I popped into a
Borders outlet next door, looking for Moleskines. They had a stand
on the checkout counter. So, I begin to sort through them. Two had
stickers on them showing the price of $2.99. Snatched them up - the
rest were the usual $9.99. So, for US$6+, I nabbed a squared pocket
and a blank reporter. Both are new to me - I've only ever had ruled
before. So, they'll be going into storage until needed.

Speedmaster

Oct 24, 2007, 7:57:24 AM10/24/07
to Moleskinerie

Wow, great find!!! ;-)

I always seem to be a day late on those deals.

Chris
http://amateureconblog.blogspot.com/

broo...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2007, 8:12:32 AM10/24/07
to Moleskinerie
Usually me too. I was quite excited and looked through for more.
Alas, only two.

JimL

Oct 24, 2007, 12:19:47 PM10/24/07
to Moleskinerie

> > Chrishttp://amateureconblog.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -

Sometimes that is simply a case of a slipped digit on one or two of
the price stickers, while the rest are correct. I've come across that
before, and feel guilty when I buy the mis-marked item .... but I
still do :)

taligator

Oct 24, 2007, 12:55:48 PM10/24/07
to Moleskinerie
I found a similar deal at The Container Store last year where I bought
the ruled notebooks. I have no idea why they were marked down but all
of them were.

AndyH

Oct 24, 2007, 5:05:14 PM10/24/07
to Moleskinerie
Sadly there seem to be no deals in the UK so I am changing over to
Rhodia pads now that they are being stocked at The Writing Desk. A
small range at the moment, but I hope that they will grow it as they
seem more flexible than the only other seller that I can find in the
UK. No affiliation, just a happy customer.

www.thewritingdesk.co.uk

Andy

David Given Schwarm

Oct 24, 2007, 5:19:07 PM10/24/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On 10/24/07, AndyH <Lerw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am changing over to Rhodia pads
?

I am not sure I understand, Andy. Are giving up on Moleskine because
you cannot find them in the UK? Seriously, what would Chatwin say?

The Moleskine is not the best notebook because of paper quality or
binding materials or price--if these are deciding factors for you
other products may be better--I really have no idea what you need.

The Moleskine is a brand and the brand mean something to me--fun,
travel, adventure, etc. I love the Detour Tour with the artists
showing their notebooks. I know that this is largely marketing, but I
have bought in and it gives me joy. When I see people using non
Moleskine notebooks or buying them at the local bookstore, I fairly
regularily engage them in conversation and show them the power of the
Moleskine. I tell them the myths, I talk about the pocket, but mostly
I focus on the community aspect.

For me, the Moleskine is the best notebook because of the community
which surrounds it--a globally diverse community with dubious origins,
rediculous pretensions, and near universal chutzpah. I have had more
people then I can count come up to me and start talking Moleskine for
no reason--some of these people have become good friends. Now other
notebooks may create similar fun, but for me, Moleskine will always be
the one.

--
Thanks, David S
(949) 981-2066

Mike Donovan

Oct 24, 2007, 6:03:33 PM10/24/07
to Moleskinerie
Wow, David. Some might say they have done quite the marketing number
on you. After all is said and done - it's a NOTEBOOK!! I like them,
but I surely don't use them to be part of some larger mythical
community. Another notebook would do just fine. I think many people
use notebooks to use notebooks - and then there are people who use
notebooks to actually get things done. In the latter case, I honestly
don't think the "community" of users matters a twit.

On Oct 24, 4:19 pm, "David Given Schwarm" <david.schw...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 10/24/07, AndyH <Lerweg...@gmail.com> wrote:> I am changing over to Rhodia pads

Leonard

Oct 24, 2007, 6:14:14 PM10/24/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I respectfully disagree with your position. Especially to be critical of another member of our group. This speaks more about you than anything else.

David had brought up his preferences and some very valid points which I completely agree with.

We are all entitled to our opinions, preferences and choices. Just because you (Mike) are on a different wave length does not entitle you to be judgmental of others. Furthermore the Moleskine Community is very real. The only myth is the one you carry around with you.

Armand

Oct 24, 2007, 6:22:33 PM10/24/07
to Moleskinerie
Respect
Our
Trip.

Nicho

Oct 26, 2007, 3:26:47 PM10/26/07
to Moleskinerie

Laura Melohn

Oct 26, 2007, 8:36:08 PM10/26/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
In last night's episode 'Run' of Without a Trace the agents found a small
lined moleskine in a suspects apartment filled with notes in a secret code.

Laura

JimL

Oct 26, 2007, 8:54:13 PM10/26/07
to Moleskinerie
Leonard, think a moment. You first say we are all entitled to our
opinions. Mike gave his opinion. Now you bash him for expressing his
opinion?

On Oct 24, 5:14 pm, Leonard <mobile.leon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I respectfully disagree with your position. Especially to be critical of
> another member of our group. This speaks more about you than anything else.
>
> David had brought up his preferences and some very valid points which I
> completely agree with.
>
> We are all entitled to our opinions, preferences and choices. Just because
> you (Mike) are on a different wave length does not entitle you to be
> judgmental of others. Furthermore the Moleskine Community is very real. The
> only myth is the one you carry around with you.

Leonard

Oct 26, 2007, 9:03:02 PM10/26/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Jim, thanks for your input.
In retrospect I was wrong and I appreciate you calling that to my attention.

To Mike, my sincere apology. While on one had it was not my intention to judge
or "bash" and yet I can see how my post would be read that way.

Leonard

AndyH

Oct 27, 2007, 6:56:47 AM10/27/07
to Moleskinerie
David

The Moleskines are easy-ish to find in the UK, but not at a price that
I am willing to pay. I was lucky enough to pick up a LARGE number
when they were half or less of the list price from either Amazon or
Amazon marketplace sellers 18 months ago. They are styled well, but
they can be hopeless for fountain pens and certain fountain pen inks,
certainly many of the ones that I use. The Rhodia paper is in another
class entirely and they sell leather covers to put their pads in. As
I have had leather covers made for my Moleskines, styled like a
moleskine notebook, the move to Rhodia is a logical one for me as I
run out of Moleskines or need better quality paper.

Andy