The Event (or, how did you trash your Moleskine?)

Evan Edwards

Oct 8, 2007, 11:21:58 AM10/8/07
to Moleskinerie

I wish the story could have been more heroic: a drowning child in a canal,
tiny cries unheard by all others until I happened to notice, so I leap in
without any other thoughts, Moleskine in my bag. Or even a more romantic
location: sitting by the Seine in Paris at a tiny café, watching the women
walk by, and quietly gratified when the waiter turns his head to watch the
particularly attractive woman walk in, unaware she is my wife... and he
catches his hip on my table in his turn. The coffee cup rocks in its saucer,
dark liquid spreading out over my opened planner.

But no, my wife and I were sitting in McDonalds, I had just finished my
daily review, and I was bouncing a rolled up napkin off the wall, trying to
land it in the tray. One miss, two misses, and a grab that knocked over a
large cup of iced coffee that instantly flooded the table. Black liquid
rushed around and over my neatly arranged stacks of 3x5 cards, and -- horror
of horrors -- my life bound in black, my Moleskine planner.

We went home and spread everything out on the bed. I used a hair drier on
the planner and some of the more important documents (hand charted graphs,
tickets to a recent concert I had yet to glue in). So now I sit and wait for
them to dry, wondering how the rest of you have accidentally "given excess
character" to your journals and planners.

--
Permission given to copy/use this with attribution, this text is CC-By, but it
would be neat if you'd send me an email if you reprint it in your blog.

prag...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2007, 9:25:21 AM10/9/07
to Moleskinerie
I dumped coffee on a planner once, too -- cafe' au lait, actually:)
It did a serious number on the G2 ink in there, but all the ballpoint
was fine, especially Space Pen stuff. I was at the university killing
time before class in my shared office, and I'm just dumb enough to
spill coffee on my first planner while sitting there by myself, lol.
I have no idea how the heck I did that. It was 2003, and that baby
still smells like French roast! :^)

------------------------
1979.</a>

kate.karma

Oct 9, 2007, 1:42:50 PM10/9/07
to Moleskinerie
luckily... have not had anything more than a few minor brushes with
water and coffee on the edges of my moleskines.
but, i have had *multiple* dreams in which i lose my precious books to
flood, rivers, forgetfulness, thieves and random maladies. i think
only that it is because i hold them so dear. must unclench... :)

alanna

Oct 9, 2007, 11:53:13 PM10/9/07
to Moleskinerie
It actually wasn't a moleskine (I hadn't even heard of them yet) but a
journal I had 9 years ago when I was studying in Costa Rica. I was out
on a secluded beach with my journal and I got caught in a
thunderstorm. I put my precious journal underneath my clothes, but it
got waterlogged. Lots of writing was smudged...I just look at the
journal and I vividly remember that storm...

Chaim

Oct 11, 2007, 1:31:29 AM10/11/07
to Moleskinerie

On Oct 9, 9:25 am, "pragma...@gmail.com" <pragma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I dumped coffee on a planner once, too -- cafe' au lait, actually:)
> It did a serious number on the G2 ink in there, but all the ballpoint
> was fine, especially Space Pen stuff. I was at the university killing
> time before class in my shared office, and I'm just dumb enough to
> spill coffee on my first planner while sitting there by myself, lol.
> I have no idea how the heck I did that. It was 2003, and that baby
> still smells like French roast! :^)
----------

Uh-oh. Can you elaborate on what happened to the G2 ink? I am a
recent convert to the G2 (from the coffee-resistant Uniball Vision),
and I'd say that I have coffee with me as I write in my Moleskine
about 50% of the time. So, it's only a matter of time before there's
a deluge.

I am seriously concerned :)

--

-Chaim

http://anotherflop.blogspot.com

prag...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2007, 6:46:57 AM10/14/07
to Moleskinerie
The base lines (sounds like music!) of the letters remained, but there
was black ink everywhere. Everywhere! :^) It was like a cream and
black swish, but you could still make out the words. I think FP ink
would have been gone altogether (not Noodlers though, I suppose). I
still use G2s sometimes, but I'm veeeery careful. :)

Cheers!

Johnny
http://www.pragmatik.org

Emily

Oct 17, 2007, 7:56:33 AM10/17/07
to Moleskinerie
G2 Ink runs! I've switched to Uniball Deluxe Fine or Micro. This ink
is touted as an antidote to check washing. It doesn't run like G2 ink.
I think the same ink is in the Uniball Signo that's available at most
discount stores, including Walmart.