A great pen for Moleskine

Lee Hein

Oct 26, 2007, 10:20:15 AM10/26/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I like the Pilot G-2 pen.  Works well, different line thickness.  But I like most the Pilot Precise V7 RT pen.  A much thinner line and retractable.  http://www.pilotpen.us/products/rollingball/

I also use a fountain pen as well.  You can get simple fountain pens at Borders for just a few bucks also by Pilot called Varsity.

Thanks,
Lee

Leonard

Oct 26, 2007, 11:19:49 AM10/26/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I concur, Pilot makes a great line of inexpensive high quality pens.

My personal choice is the Pilot Precise V5 or V7 Rolling Ball. This particular pen dries very quickly and smearing is not an issue
This because I prefer a pen with a cap as opposed to a retractable as I carry them in my breast pocket, and it lessens the chance that I will forget to retract the tip before putting in my fresh white shirt.

Another advantage (as I see it) of the V5/V7 series is that they leave a very dark black line which makes readability at a glance very easy. While they do bleed through just a big I would rather live with that and have the dark line. Also fo important note, is that they are readily available at Longs' Walgreen's and other regular stores for less than $2.00 per pen.

In the Pilot lineup the very best pen which does not bleed through at all, is the Pilot G-Tech C-4. These are superb, however at only 0.4mm the super fine tip leaves a light black line which is much more delicate and harder to read than the Precise line V5 & V7.

Cheers

Lee Hein

Oct 27, 2007, 10:06:30 AM10/27/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  Another pen is the Pigma Micron.  I've found it in a art/drawing section of art supplies stores.  The line thickness can go down to .03-   Super fine.  Especialy good for very small writing areas in your Moleskine.

Leonard

Oct 27, 2007, 1:26:26 PM10/27/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info Lee, I will check these out, as I'm always looking for new pens to try.
Leonard

Ambie

Oct 28, 2007, 1:35:18 PM10/28/07
to Moleskinerie
I use a few different pens for my molie.

I use a Pentel RSVP ball point pen
Uniball Signo Bit pens
and I use the Uniball Jet Stream pens.

I usually use medium point pens because I love the bolder lines. *nod
nod*

Lee Hein

Oct 28, 2007, 3:12:42 PM10/28/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried a fountain pen?  There are a few out there that aren't too expensive and you'd be style'n when you whip out a fountain pen to jot a note in your Moleskine.  Hot!

Mohd Adib Noh

Oct 28, 2007, 5:34:58 PM10/28/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Ambie,
Of the three types of pens you mentioned,I prefer Uniball jet Stream.

~Adib

given

Oct 29, 2007, 8:42:18 PM10/29/07
to Moleskinerie
Agreed--I have been using Lamy's for a while and I am very happy.

Thanks, David S

clive

Nov 4, 2007, 1:59:35 PM11/4/07
to Moleskinerie
I have to say my favorites are the uniball signo bt .28 mm and
fountain pens with an extra-fine tip. I tend to write with a light
pressure and both kinds of pen write really well on that paper. On the
Cahier though - it's a bit tricky using super-fine pens on the back
side of the pages since they're rougher.

clive

James Burdine

Nov 10, 2007, 6:08:55 PM11/10/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I'm a lefty and my favorite pen for my Moleskine large squared notebooks
and 2007 large daily planner are the Shachihata Artline Drawing System
.4. Since the pens have black pigment ink, there's no lefty ink smear
whatsoever! The pens cost $3.25 USD where I live.

Dryft

Nov 11, 2007, 12:11:52 AM11/11/07
to Moleskinerie
I've been using a Pentel Energel .5mm and been having great success
with it. Dries nearly instantly, doesn't smudge or blot, and doesn't
bleed. I have noticed with the .7mm Energels which are a different
pen style altogether in several ways (retractable vs. capped, etc.)
that they tend to blot at the beginning of new words. I'm not sure if
thats just my overbearing writing pressure which I've been trying to
break myself of, or the pen itself.

I have some .5 Pilot G2's in different colors ordered, as well as a
pack of the Pilot G2 Minis to take a look at. It's too bad the mini's
only come in .7mm (as far as our office supplier is concerned anyhow),
but hopefully I'll find a good use for them.

phil reaston

Nov 11, 2007, 11:11:14 AM11/11/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Try the Uniball Signo RT Gel 0.38mm - works great for me. The G2's all seem to take time to dry, but the mini is handy to slip in a pants pocket.

Phil
--
Phil Reaston

Farseer

Nov 13, 2007, 12:04:13 AM11/13/07
to Moleskinerie
I Have been using moleskines for about 5 months now. It took a few
tries te get some pens I like. Most of the ones I like are from
Pilot. buit from Pilot Japan.

The Pilot Prera is just wonderful on the page. The ink dries fast and
does not smear. the line is finer than the varsity, and it is not
disposable. it writes a consistant .5mm line.
http://www.jpens.com/product_info.php?products_id=451

I also carry a few disposables, but I like them fine because I write
small sometimes, mostly 2 lines of text per line in my pocket
moleskine. I use a .25 or .30mm Pilot Hi-Tec-C these are great,
smooth and consistent. but it is meant to be used with a lighter
touch. http://www.jpens.com/product_info.php?products_id=172

I use also use the upgraded version of the Hi Tec C called Pilot Hi-
Tec-C Cavalier with my daily planner and in my briefcase. I find
all the inks are superior to what I can buy ar staples, and it is a
joy to write with them.

Your millage may vary, but I find writing with a better pen makes me
write more.

embe...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2007, 12:19:41 PM11/14/07
to Moleskinerie
I've used the uniball signo rt 0.38's for the longest time, bought a
dozen over 2 years ago, then I found the Pilot Hi-Tec C (the more
polished Cavalier) and got the .3mm pen. So I'm definitely with you,
Farseer! (Robin Hobb?) I would buy out Jetpens.com if I could! I'm
also drooling over the Pilot Cavalier fountain pen... I think I may
even want it more than an iPhone for Christmas ;)

-Alexia
http://waitcomeback.com
http://imakearrrt.com

che moleman

Nov 14, 2007, 12:53:49 PM11/14/07
to Moleskinerie
I've had amazing success with three different types of pens:

1. Pilot V Ball Extra Fine
2. Sakura Pigma Micron (#03)
3. Uniball Jetstream Fine

The V Ball ink is my favourite, the line is consistent and dark, but
since I'm lefty and an extremely fast writer, the ink does tend to
bleed and smear just a tiny bit after I get going. The Pigma Micron is
a very, very close second, and would be first on my list, if it
weren't for the friction and scratchy feeling I get when using one. I
need a "fast," smooth pen that will keep up with my pace without
tiring me. Other than that, the ink is great, absolutely no smearing
or bleeding, and the pigment is wonderfully dark. The Jetstream I also
like, because it doesn't smear, and also has a nice, consistent line.
The only minor problem is that it's a little too "ballpointy" for my
taste; the ink seems to be oil based as opposed to liquid (which I
love), and with my writing pace, it tends to develop the streaking and
glopping that most Bic ballpoints develop. But it's the cheapest of
the three, and I carry a couple for all-purpose use, or for when I
have to write an awful lot, as it doesn't smear and is less tiring to
use than the Pigma Micron.

On Nov 14, 10:19 am, "emberl...@gmail.com" <emberl...@gmail.com>

David Given Schwarm

Nov 14, 2007, 1:15:48 PM11/14/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I just picked up a Pilot-Namiki Vanishing point. I have destroyed
three Lamy's this year (a 2000 broke in half leaving the threaded part
in the barrel, I dropped a Studio and the nib turned to mush, I had
the nib fall off a Studio and I cannot get it to stay on), so I
figured it was time for a change. I carry my fountain pen in my front
pocket with my moleskine and I am evidently very hard on them. The
Namiki had received some reviews about its durability.

So far, the Namiki rules. I went for the medium nib (based on reviews
that the fine was scratchy). Ink flow with this pen is awesome, adding
ink is a breeze, overall I am very happy. A very nice pen for the
price.

--
Thanks, David S

Daly de Gagne

Nov 14, 2007, 3:46:55 PM11/14/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I had a Safari snap that way also -- unfortunately it was the special edition organge pen that I can no longer get. I am waiting for someone proficient with Crazy Glue to make the perfect mend for me.

I like Lamys, but your breaking report and mine, and the observation I have made that their seems to be some slow ink leakage when the pens are carried around, making it messy when it comes time to change cartridges or to fill the converter,

I have found the Pelikan Futura (think that's the proper name) writes just as well without the mess potential.

Daly

Farseer

Nov 14, 2007, 5:11:13 PM11/14/07
to Moleskinerie
Margaret & I (Robin Hobb) met briefly prior to her publishing the
Farseer Trilogy. I actually read the book in preissue form. It is
hard to believe it has been over 12 years...

I picked up my cavalier on ebay from seller sakura_zeppelin for
about half the price of jpens or Jetpens. Check it out.

I have in back stock a box of black .25mm and a box of black .30mm,
just in case they become in short supply. I keep have them stored in
an airtight packaging and out of light. The Pilot G2s .38mm are quite
nice on the page also got those that like the .5 but wish it was a
finer line.

Check out jpens for some of the items you need. you can get a Hi-Tec-
C Cavalier 0.3mm with an extra refill and disposable Hi-Tec-C of your
choice for $20.10 and shipping is free. Maybe if he gets enough
requests he will carry the fountain version.

Have fun

On Nov 14, 12:19 pm, "emberl...@gmail.com" <emberl...@gmail.com>

Farseer

Nov 14, 2007, 5:25:55 PM11/14/07
to Moleskinerie
It depends on how much flex you like in your nibs.. The Pilot
Cavaliers are a stiff nib while the Pilot Prera have slightly more
flex, and not as scratch. you may want to give them a try. They are
actually made by the same company, but just in japan. I find the
quality runs a little better on the Cavalier than the Knight (us
version).

Evan Edwards

Nov 14, 2007, 10:39:08 PM11/14/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday 14 November 2007, Daly de Gagne wrote:
> made that their seems to be some slow ink leakage when the pens are carried
> around, making it messy when it comes time to change cartridges or to fill
> the converter,

In my experience, that's the converter, not the pen. At least with the
Lamy pens. Most of the other brands of pens have converters that are higher
quality. So far I have run into two "slow leaks", and they both went away
with a converter swap... and one returned when I used the old one.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but it's worth a try if you have a Lamy
sitting around that you think is leaking.

--
Evan "JabberWokky" Edwards
http://www.cheshirehall.org/

Dryft

Nov 18, 2007, 10:35:09 PM11/18/07
to Moleskinerie
I can't seem to find anything smaller than a .5mm locally, of course
we don't have any stationers around that I'm aware of. Just picked up
a couple of the .5mm Uniball Signo's and I have to say I'm favoring
them over the G2's currently. Though for some reason my G2 05's don't
seem to want to part with their ink. Is there something special I
need to do to get the flow started, or is this typically a dry pen?

Evan Edwards

Nov 19, 2007, 5:50:00 PM11/19/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 18 November 2007, Dryft wrote:
> I can't seem to find anything smaller than a .5mm locally, of course
> we don't have any stationers around that I'm aware of.  Just picked up
> a couple of the .5mm Uniball Signo's and I have to say I'm favoring
> them over the G2's currently.  Though for some reason my G2 05's don't
> seem to want to part with their ink.  Is there something special I
> need to do to get the flow started, or is this typically a dry pen?

Although you replied to a message I wrote about fountain pens, I also use
the Uniball Signo line... I'm guessing you meant the Signos? I've found the
035 Signos are skimpy with the ink (but do lay a solid line), which is great
if you want a very fine line. They are roughly the same as an Extra Fine
Lamy nib with a light hand. I use them for writing text. If you want more
ink, the best thing to do is just increase size. The Signo 207s lay big fat
paths of ink... I use them to annotate rough drafts and printouts of code,
where I need a very visible note that stands out.

In the end, a fine point is going to lay a fine line. Most of the well
regarded pens (gel, fountain or high end ballpoint) will lay a solid line.
If it's a fine point, it isn't going to lay down as much ink as a wider
point.

(As a usage note, I use the Lamy EF nib/Signo 038 to write two lines of
text per rule on a Moleskine rule. That's small text, and the really fine
point is great. If you write larger, I'd say these would result in spindly
letters).

Farseer

Nov 20, 2007, 10:59:47 PM11/20/07
to Moleskinerie
It is very tought ot find many smaller roller ball and gel ink pens
smaller than .5mm Most of the times you will need to go to online
sources to purchase imported pens. If you check out my post a few
back, a company called jpens.com has a bunch of pens that are smaller
than .5mm they have the Pilot Hi-Tec-C which comes in .4mm .3mm .25mm
and like 25 colors they also have the G2's in .38mm.

I prefer the imported Pilots, they seem to write nice than the .5mm I
use to buy domestically.