Virtual Moleskine?

Cinemafia

Dec 20, 2005, 12:04:30 PM12/20/05
to Moleskinerie
I had the idea that it would be really neat to have a computer-based,
Moleskine 'simulation'. Circus Ponies has come very close with their
'NoteBook 2.0', below. Now if only they could release a version that
emulates a Mole instead of a drugstore spiral-bound!

http://www.circusponies.com/pages.aspx?page=products

Message has been deleted

Cinemafia

Dec 20, 2005, 2:39:16 PM12/20/05
to Moleskinerie
Good idea, I did just that.

;-)

molesk...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2005, 7:01:02 PM12/20/05
to Moleskinerie
Cool idea! I suggest you write them.

bill7tx

Dec 21, 2005, 10:47:04 AM12/21/05
to Moleskinerie
Why on earth would you want to do that? There would be no significant
difference between a Moleskine "emulation" in software and an
"emulation" of any other kind of notebook. Plus you can't put the
software version in your back pocket.

If you want to be able to move notes from handwritten form into
electronic form, look into the Logitech ioPen. If you have a little
more money, a tablet PC would probably work for you. Somewhere in the
middle is OneNote, which (if you are really compulsive) can be set up
to look pretty much like anything you want, including a Moleskine.

Moleskines (like any paper notebook) have a form and a function suited
for particular (mainly portable and low-cost) applications. Electronic
"notepads" only overlap that slightly. Each has advantages the other
does not, and each has features that somewhat offset its own
disadvantages. If you try to force one to "emulate" the other, you are
going to compromise the feature sets of both and end up with a whole
that is less than the sum of its parts.

My two cents' worth, anyway. I use Moleskines, Inspiration and other
note-taking applications on a PDA, and Inspiration and OneNote on the
PC.

Cinemafia

Dec 21, 2005, 5:16:16 PM12/21/05
to Moleskinerie
Well, part of it is just novelty, another part is somewhat based in
productivity. I've found it intimidating at time to write on a
computer when the space given to write in is large, stark white, and
without any frame of reference. Having a familiar form to the UI, an
off-white background color, (etc.) help make the experience of typing
more natural.

bill7tx

Dec 22, 2005, 12:39:59 AM12/22/05
to Moleskinerie
You might like Inspiration, then. You can download a free trial. The
ioPen allows you to write normally in a notebook (special paper, but
not expensive, and you can scan a blank page of it and print as many
copies as you need), upload the written notes to your PC, and translate
the handwriting into editable text.

Chris

Dec 22, 2005, 1:48:53 AM12/22/05
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I always thought a Molskine with the "special paper" would be the
coolest techno-retro mix.

bill7tx

Dec 22, 2005, 12:22:12 PM12/22/05
to Moleskinerie
It might be an interesting combination, though I have to wonder how
practical it might be. I normally use my ioPen when I'm working "in the
house" (I have a home office), away from the computer, on projects that
I will upload later. The little battery in the pen doesn't stay charged
all that long and the pen is kind of klunky to try to keep in a pocket.
If you take the pen with you on trips, you have to take the charger and
a laptop (to download the pen contents when it gets full, which doesn't
take all that long). I like to travel as light as possible, no laptops
or extra chargers and cords, so the ioPen normally stays docked on the
desk except when I'm sitting in the living room or the back yard
writing.

Yeah, I'm a gadget junkie ...

MDMO

Dec 27, 2005, 6:01:22 AM12/27/05
to Moleskinerie

I time ago I wrote:
I am trying to buy a moleskine (for the first time). Several times I
started a diary but it is a hard job to persist. I am not good in
drawing but (a little bit?) good in photographing and I want to add now
and then a picture in my diary (also parts of news paper, ...) but
after a while the book is 5 cm thick at the one side and 2 at the
other. So I tried an electronic one but that program works very slowly.
So I will try a moleskine. In looking a shop which is selling those
things I found a firm which is distributing those things. Someone
working in that firm told me the interest in moleskine was increasing
specially around one town Gent. Are there groups dealing with moleskine
in Belgium? I am interested in all thing dealing with paper, fountain
pens, papermaking, ...
Tomorrow shops are open and I hope to find one tomorrow!
It is snowing here too!
Marc

Now I have one but my problem "how can I add photographs, parts of
newspaper ..." still exists

Greetings

Marc - Belgium

Cinemafia

Dec 27, 2005, 9:55:30 AM12/27/05
to Moleskinerie
Well, I got word back from Circus Ponies that they're going to add the
elements of a 'virtual Moleskine' I described to the possible future
features list! Hopefully we'll see an actual release of NoteBook with
a Moleskine 'mode'!

molesk...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2005, 10:01:26 AM12/27/05
to Moleskinerie
Toldya;) Good job Cinemafia!

mrklingon

Dec 27, 2005, 3:55:25 PM12/27/05
to Moleskinerie
I've used YeahWrite - a simple, lean word processor that uses a
notebook style. Pretty inexpensive (though the well featured free
version works great)

http://yeahwrite.com/yw_img/ywmemo.gif

http://yeahwrite.com

sandy....@gmail.com

Dec 28, 2005, 8:08:40 PM12/28/05
to Moleskinerie
You don't have to live with either the lines or the spiral edge, both
can be changed in the software.

Cinemafia

Dec 29, 2005, 10:08:09 AM12/29/05
to Moleskinerie
I know, although I actually didn't realize that until I started using
it. However, having something built in that really embodied a
Moleskine's look and feel is what I thought would be cool.