moleskine cahier vs moleskine regular large notebook

ilovemymacandmoleskine

Mar 13, 2007, 2:52:44 AM3/13/07
to Moleskinerie
I've tried the Moleskine regular large plain notebook and the
Moleskine x-large lined Cahier (black) for a few weeks now, and I
definitely like the Cahier better.

People either attack the Cahier for feeling "cheap" or praise it
because it's more "casual." But my reason for preferring the Cahier is
more specific and practical. Unlike the regular Moleskines, the Cahier
lies FLAT against a table, like a thin sheaf of papers, as opposed to
a hardcover book. This makes it much more comfortable to write notes
on, in my opinion, than on the regular Moleskine notebooks with the
hardcover binding.

Any Cahier fans out there agree?

ilovemymacandmoleskine

Mar 13, 2007, 10:43:31 AM3/13/07
to Moleskinerie
I should clarify a little I think. I mean that the Cahier lies more
flush against the surface of the table. The hardcover Moleskines have
more pages and thicker ones, I believe, so when you write in them and
get close to the bottom of your page, you can't rest the palm of your
writing hand comfortably on a surface.

Also, I think the pages of the Cahier are much easier to flip through
because of the soft flexible cardboard cover. The hardcover Moleskines
are sort of harder to page through. It's the same difference as
between paperback and hardcover books.

Anyway, I love Moleskine, but in particular the underappreciated
Moleskine Cahier.

Evan Edwards

Mar 13, 2007, 5:32:28 PM3/13/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 13 March 2007, ilovemymacandmoleskine wrote:
> Any Cahier fans out there agree?

I used pocket Moleskine brand moleskines because they are fantastic for
notes, but never liked them for serious writing. My writing book of choice
was the simple, sometimes seen as juvenile, composition book. They are
cheap, lie flat, and you can fill them. Wonderful things.

The new softcover planner (similar to Miquelrius, but sewn rather than
glued) lies flat wonderfully, and I am in the process of switching over my
composition books to cahiers... in fact, tonight I'm ordering a crate of them
with 54 volumes. They are as classy as can be while maintaining complete
functionality.

--
Evan "JabberWokky" Edwards
http://www.cheshirehall.org/

Jim-L

Mar 18, 2007, 11:58:12 AM3/18/07
to Moleskinerie
A crate of them!! Did you come across a very good sale?

Lyric

Mar 27, 2007, 2:24:26 PM3/27/07
to Moleskinerie
> Any Cahier fans out there agree?

I really prefer the Cahier for serious journaling. The regular large
Moleskines are just a bit too small for my handwriting; I feel more
cramped. The Cahier gives me breathing room, and I love its more
casual style.

I still have the large and pocket Moleskines in a variety of formats,
but they're for other uses.

AndyH

Mar 28, 2007, 12:53:38 PM3/28/07
to Moleskinerie
I have got a few Cahiers in the pocket size, but I tend to use
reporters notebooks in pocket or large notebook size.

I used the standard notebooks for a while, in fact I have been using
the pocket ruled as a diary - 4 per year, and a large ruled for notes
at work.

What I have settled on is the squared pocket and large Moleskine
Reporters. As they are hinged along the shortest edge they tend to
open flatter much easier that the notebook version. You can turn a
squared notebook through 90 degrees and still have horizontal lines to
write on. This is really useful for drawing diagrams and maps that
don't naturally fit a portrait page.

I got involved in reporters notebooks because they were being sold
much cheaper than standard notebooks on Amazon (UK). The Cahiers are
not as robust, so rule themselves out of my using them. Moleskines
get a hard life in the pocket of my cargos!

AndyH

Andrew Rogers

Mar 28, 2007, 1:45:20 PM3/28/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 13, 7:52 am, "ilovemymacandmoleskine" < dhc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> People either attack the Cahier for feeling "cheap" or praise it
> because it's more "casual." But my reason for preferring the Cahier is
> more specific and practical.

I agree with you. I love me my regular Moleskine(s). But a friend and I are teaching a multi-session class during lunch at our office, and I've found that the small cahiers are perfect for my lecture notes, one notebook per session. I can carry it in my hand while I'm walking around and it's not nearly as obtrusive or distracting as a sheet of papers would be. It's also a great place to write down people's questions if I don't know the answer so I can get back to them later.

I use my regular, lined pocket-size Moleskine for the rest of life, but for the specific demands of this class, the cahier is working great.

Andrew

--
Andrew S. Rogers
www.andrewrogers.net

Steve

Mar 29, 2007, 10:12:44 AM3/29/07
to Moleskinerie
I, too, find the hard-cover large Moleskine notebook a little cramped
for the kind of long-winded journaling I tend to do. I also agree
that the old composition book was just ideal in its proportions and
volume for keeping a journal. Just the paper was terribly cheap.
Levenger used to make a wonderful notebook modeled on the composition
book with very nice paper, but alas, they seem to have dropped it from
their line. Miguel-Rius used to have one, as well, but don't know if
they still make them.

So the extra large Cahier would seem to be the perfect solution for
someone like me who would like a composition book with better paper.
I'm just a little leery of the perforated pages in the second half of
the Cahier. One the one hand, they seem fairly stable -- that is, if
one doesn't make a point of tearing out a page, it won't tear. But I
just hate the idea of journal pages getting partially or completely
torn out, so I've avoided the Cahier.

If only Moleskine would come out with a version that didn't have
perforated pages, I would agree that it's the ideal high-volume
journaling tool. Maybe I'll give one a try, though, based on the
positive reviews here.

Steve

> > Any Cahier fans out there agree?- Hide quoted text -

ilovemymacandmoleskine

Mar 29, 2007, 10:47:59 AM3/29/07
to Moleskinerie
> So the extra large Cahier would seem to be the perfect solution for
> someone like me who would like a composition book with better paper.
> I'm just a little leery of the perforated pages in the second half of
> the Cahier. One the one hand, they seem fairly stable -- that is, if
> one doesn't make a point of tearing out a page, it won't tear. But I
> just hate the idea of journal pages getting partially or completely
> torn out, so I've avoided the Cahier.

I've also worried about the perforated pages -- and they do tend to
tear out by themselves if you flip through them enough times. So I
just write them off and don't write anything on them that ought to be
preserved. Even so, you still get 104 firmly bound pages. The XL
Cahier is still a better deal writing surface-wise than any other
Moleskine. I haven't done the exact calculation, but maybe someone can
confirm.

Steve

Mar 29, 2007, 1:27:56 PM3/29/07
to Moleskinerie
I think your calculations are a little off. The official description
of the XL Cahier says it is 120 pages with the last 16 sheets being
perforated. Here, the distinction between sheets and pages is
critical. When you do an apples-to-apples description and convert
sheets to pages, that would work out to 120 pages with 32 pages being
perforated for removal. So you really only have 88 permanantly bound
pages.

I do love the size and casualness of the XL Cahiers, and I can see why
the designers decided to make some of the pages removable (though I
wonder how many people really have much need for the removable
pages). I just wish they hadn't taken that approach.

Steve

On Mar 29, 10:47 am, "ilovemymacandmoleskine" <dhc...@gmail.com>

ilovemymacandmoleskine

Mar 29, 2007, 3:13:10 PM3/29/07
to Moleskinerie
> I think your calculations are a little off. The official description
> of the XL Cahier says it is 120 pages with the last 16 sheets being
> perforated. Here, the distinction between sheets and pages is
> critical. When you do an apples-to-apples description and convert
> sheets to pages, that would work out to 120 pages with 32 pages being
> perforated for removal. So you really only have 88 permanantly bound
> pages.

You're right. Thanks for the correction! OK now I do wish that fewer
pages were perforated or none at all.

Lyric

Mar 29, 2007, 8:36:02 PM3/29/07
to Moleskinerie

> If only Moleskine would come out with a version that didn't have
> perforated pages, I would agree that it's the ideal high-volume
> journaling tool. Maybe I'll give one a try, though, based on the
> positive reviews here.

Steve, I was part of a discussion weeks ago on this site and discussed
spiral binding the Cahiers. I haven't done it yet, as I had already
started a book and was filling it all the way to the gutter, but I
intend to do it to my next one. I may even put two Cahiers together
that way. If you're interested you can find the post with "Spiral
Binding" in the title.

Give em a try!

argonic

Apr 1, 2007, 6:31:55 AM4/1/07
to Moleskinerie
I use the cahiers for notes and todos because they easily slip under
the band of the diary making on convenient unit.

Evan Edwards

Apr 1, 2007, 12:51:20 PM4/1/07
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 01 April 2007, argonic wrote:
> I use the cahiers for notes and todos because they easily slip under
> the band of the diary making on convenient unit.

They also fit in 5x8 boxes, and the 5x8 card tabs allow you to file them.
There are also some nice messanger bags that fit them (and all normal size
Moleskines) perfectly -- plus pocket sized. Pages from Junior Legal Pads
also fit into cahiers and Moleskines, and 3x5 cards with lists will go into
the planner in a truly useful manner: align them vertically to stay tucked
away, or horizontally to poke out just the barest amount (a millimeter or
so), and be their own flag. A binder clip can hold a small stack of cards to
the back or front of the planner (I glued in a regional fold out map to the
front of my planner).

I have become quite enamored of the (general class of) 5"x8" size. It
seems to work well to have a single page for a single topic, and the
resulting messenger bag is tiny and easy to carry with me everywhere. I also
like the fact that I have a laptop that is 5x8, and it stacks perfectly,
allowing me to casually work anywhere. The ratios are also perfect for 3x5
cards, and the books are easy to stack and sort on my desk as I move from
project to project.

tuesdaynext

Apr 3, 2007, 2:04:10 PM4/3/07
to Moleskinerie

I like the small cahiers for those moments when I am not planning to
write/draw (i.e. night on the town, party, shopping trip) but might
need some paper, just in case. The cahiers fit into a slim evening bag
or coat pocket to catch a book recommendation, a phone number or a
brilliant thought. I usually transfer these scribbles to a larger,
more "permanent" book when I get home.

Clark

Apr 3, 2007, 5:57:57 PM4/3/07
to Moleskinerie
Here is what I use the Cahier for. I purchase the pocket, ruled, size
and then slip it in the back of my Moleskinerie Soft Cover Calendar
for extra note taking space. Both fit well into my back pocket.

I really do the Cahiers, the fill up faster making them really fun.

On Mar 12, 11:52 pm, "ilovemymacandmoleskine" <dhc...@gmail.com>

Texas12step

Apr 9, 2007, 6:10:50 AM4/9/07
to Moleskinerie
I actually use them for letters. I write the leter within the bounds
of the cahier, staple the corners, and then address/stamp the cover.
It mails without the need for envelopes, and is more distinctive than
any other stationary that I can think of.

ilovemymacandmoleskine

Apr 15, 2007, 8:42:04 AM4/15/07
to Moleskinerie
Can we start a campaign to get Moleskine to offer a non-perforated
version of the Cahier? That would really be my ideal notebook.

Chad Sobodash

Apr 29, 2007, 4:05:43 AM4/29/07
to Moleskinerie
Incidentally, the reason I don't use Cahiers is because they lie flat
against a table. I'm always somewhere inconvinient for note taking,
like riding a bus, in a car, etc. So, I always end up writing on my
leg. I can't go this in a Cahier because it curves and bends every
which way, making it so hard to write that I forget what I was going
to write in the first place. Though, since I'm almost always seen in
my corduroy blazer, I keep a small ruled Cahier in the jacket pocket.
I jacked it from a friend, so I figure in case I ever need it, it's
there. Honestly, I haven't touched a page in it.

anhelido

Apr 29, 2007, 6:43:01 AM4/29/07
to Moleskinerie
Nobody mentioned anything about the paper quality. The Cahier paper
and the regular notebook paper are different. It is different to write
on one or another. I find notebooks more comfortable to write on than
cahiers. Does anybody feel the same?

willia...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2007, 2:30:41 AM4/30/07
to Moleskinerie

I agree, I can't stand the paper in the cahiers. Actually, I can't
stand anything about them. If the only reason someone is using
cahiers is because they can be flattened against a table, I'd suggest
they learn how adjust the spine of a notebook. I've used all sizes of
moleskine notebooks, and have never had a problem getting any page in
the book to be flat against the table.

I guess it's all in the wrist?