Ohto Tasche and Moleskines

Jess

Sep 27, 2006, 11:30:09 AM9/27/06
to Moleskinerie
Long time lurker, first time poster. :) I have recently fallen in
love with the Ohto Tasche fountain pen on jetpens.com, but I am
slightly worried about getting it and then having the ink bleed on my
Moleskine pages. I currently use a volant for scribbled notes, a large
lined as my general catch-all for lists, notes, writing, etc., and a
large graph for my personal journal. Does anyone use an Ohto Tasche
with their Moles? If I could use a converter, I wouldn't be concerned
but it only seems to take short international cartridges.

Thanks!
Jess

Jude...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2006, 3:34:53 AM9/28/06
to Moleskinerie
i've got a bunch of these pens. i love them. they write real well on
moleskines. feathres a little bit, but not so much as you'd think. my
biggest complaint is they tend to leak, so you have to unscrew things
once in a while or else it all glue in place. oh and also, definitely
don't fly with them. i've got a ruined pair of pants for not having
predicted that one.

Jude...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2006, 3:37:45 AM9/28/06
to Moleskinerie
oh and also, i don't know where you live, but they sell these for 9
bucks each at the stationary store in japantown in san francisco. i
suspect japanese stationary stores would be a good spot to check out
for a bargain.

wm.a...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2006, 8:25:30 AM9/28/06
to Moleskinerie
Jude...@gmail.com wrote:
> oh and also, definitely
> don't fly with them. i've got a ruined pair of pants for not having
> predicted that one.

That's good advice for all fountain pens! Whenever I fly I drop
them into plastic baggies with tissue. The changes in air pressure
during flight move the ink into and, alas, out of the pen.

Daly de Gagne

Sep 28, 2006, 8:49:15 AM9/28/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Do these pens use standard international short or long cartridges?

Do they come with a converter?

Thanks.

Daly

Richard Jack

Sep 28, 2006, 9:17:00 AM9/28/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
The strategy for air travel with fountain pens is either to fill them all the way up or empty them. Either method works. Of course, storing them in a plastic bag for the journey doesn't hurt either.

Jess

Sep 28, 2006, 10:16:15 AM9/28/06
to Moleskinerie
Have you tried them with any other ink besides the Ohto Tasche refill
cartridges? I wonder if they'd feather less with a different
ink...hmmmmm. Thanks for the tip on the leaking!! I will definitely
be careful when I order one and start using it. The last thing I need
is a ruined bag!

morningcoder

Sep 28, 2006, 5:34:39 PM9/28/06
to Moleskinerie
I also ordered one from jetpens.com. It skips, so I haven't use it
much. I went back to my trusted Monteverde mini fountain pen. Like you
said, the Tasche short international cartridges just like the
Monteverde. I havent' been able to find a converter that will fit in
either pen.

I used it to write two or three pages on my moleskine pocket notebook
with the ink cartridge came with the pen. I'd say it didn't bleed any
more than a 0.7mm Pilot G-2.

Daly de Gagne

Sep 28, 2006, 6:34:21 PM9/28/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply.

You mentioned the pen skipped. I find that sometimes new pens, especially those with a fine nib, need to be thoroughly flushed out with warm water before ink will flow smoothly from the ink source to the nib to the paper.

Have you tried that?

Daly
--
Discuss and learn about David Allen's Getting Things Done:

morningcoder

Sep 29, 2006, 1:53:24 PM9/29/06
to Moleskinerie
Thanks for the tip. I haven't try flushing it out with warm water. I
figured a new fountain pen needs break-in, so I was just trying to use
it for shorter notes here and there until it write smoothly. I'll try
flushing it with warm water and see if it helps the break-in process.

> ------=_Part_7133_11988677.1159482861085
>
> Thanks for the reply.<br><br>You mentioned the pen skipped. I find that sometimes new pens, especially those with a fine nib, need to be thoroughly flushed out with warm water before ink will flow smoothly from the ink source to the nib to the paper.
> </a>
>
> ------=_Part_7133_11988677.1159482861085--

MarcClarke

Sep 29, 2006, 11:39:18 PM9/29/06
to Moleskinerie
Better still to flush the new pen with distilled water rather than tap
water. We do not know what the chemistry or mineral content of your
local water is, or how that chemistry and mineral content will interact
with the ink.

iJerry

Sep 30, 2006, 8:46:18 AM9/30/06
to Moleskinerie
I've flown a lot with fountan pens - I just make sure I keep the pen
upright in a shirt pocket - I haven't had one leak yet - even in
twin-prop. Most of the bigger jets are well pressurised, though the
twin-prop ones are less so. I'm constantly taking notes - including
while in flight and the key seems to be to keep any air to the top -
hence keeping it clipped upright (nib to the top) so that in the event
of a rapid pressure change the expanding air simply comes out through
the nib, rather than driving out the ink as it might if on its side or
kept nib downwards.

Of course caution is always advised, and if your pen is generous with
ink then the plastic bag option may be a good one for you.

Cheers
Jerry

Richard Jack wrote:
> The strategy for air travel with fountain pens is either to fill them all the way up or empty them. Either method works. Of course, storing them in a plastic bag for the journey doesn't hurt either.
>
> "wm.a...@gmail.com" <wm.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jude...@gmail.com wrote:
> > oh and also, definitely
> > don't fly with them. i've got a ruined pair of pants for not having
> > predicted that one.
>
> That's good advice for all fountain pens! Whenever I fly I drop
> them into plastic baggies with tissue. The changes in air pressure
> during flight move the ink into and, alas, out of the pen.
>

> ---------------------------------

> --0-425129643-1159449420=:93761
>
> <FONT size=3>The strategy for&nbsp;air travel with&nbsp;fountain pens is either to fill them all the way up or empty them. Either method works. Of course, storing them in a plastic bag for the journey doesn't hurt either.</FONT><BR><BR><B><I>"wm.a...@gmail.com" &lt;wm.a...@gmail.com&gt;</I></B> wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><BR>Jude...@gmail.com wrote:<BR>&gt; oh and also, definitely<BR>&gt; don't fly with them. i've got a ruined pair of pants for not having<BR>&gt; predicted that one.<BR><BR>That's good advice for all fountain pens! Whenever I fly I drop<BR>them into plastic baggies with tissue. The changes in air pressure<BR>during flight move the ink into and, alas, out of the pen.<BR><BR><BR> <hr size=1>Stay in the know. Pulse on the new Yahoo.com. <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42974/*http://www.yahoo.com/preview"> Check it out.</a>
>
> --0-425129643-1159449420=:93761--

morningcoder

Oct 2, 2006, 12:22:43 PM10/2/06
to Moleskinerie
I just ordered 3 "Bantam" Ink Converter from
http://www.tryphon.it/catalogo.htm

Form the item description, it sounds like it should fit the Tasche and
my other mini fountain pens.

Scott Runnels

Oct 3, 2006, 12:23:31 PM10/3/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
I've had one for a couple months now and just got back from travelling with it on my honeymoon.  It took the flight to and from Japan quite well and worked great both in the air and on the ground.  So well, in fact that I bought two more in Japan( one for my wife and one an omiyage for a coworker ).  They ran about an even 1000yen a piece.

For ink, I actually ended up filling an empty cartridge with noodlers black and just refilling the cartridge as needed and it works quite well it.  However now that I see that slim bantam converter, I may switch to that.

-Scott

jimmyp

Oct 5, 2006, 1:09:54 AM10/5/06
to Moleskinerie
http://www.pendemonium.com/ink_monteverde.htm

This little converter will replace a short international, if the pen
holds a backup cartridge behind the active one.

morningcoder

Oct 25, 2006, 1:22:36 PM10/25/06
to Moleskinerie
I'm sorry to report that the Bantam converter doesn't fit the Tasche.
It is about 5mm too long. However, it fits my other mini fountain pens,
which have a little bit more headroom, nicely.