I want to bind three cahiers together. Any suggestions?

fairydustwings

Jan 16, 2007, 4:50:33 AM1/16/07
to Moleskinerie
As I stated earlier I accidently bought a set of three cahiers thinking
they were regular moleskines. I don't like the look of the cardboard
covers. I am thinking of trying to bind them together in one big
journal and putting on a new cover. I am just not sure how to yet. Has
anyone tried coil binding, tape binding, or glue binding moleskine
paper. If so what were your thoughts on the finished product. Another
option is treating each book like a signature but I don't know how I'd
join them together. Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks!

Juan

Feb 1, 2007, 4:46:35 AM2/1/07
to Moleskinerie

I'll be buying a moleskine watercolor large soon. I suppose that I'll
remove the pages as I use them, and I'll probably end up using it as a
cahier holder.

Juan

BlueKDesign

Feb 1, 2007, 9:00:45 PM2/1/07
to Moleskinerie
I have thought of doing the same thing, but for a different reason. I
wanted to bind together a blank, grid, and ruled cahiers together.
Mostly I use the grid moleskines for writing & diagramming, but
sometimes I want blank for sketching or ruled for writing. I was
planning to remove the stitches from each cahier, shuffle the pages,
and stitch them back together in signatures. I decided the disassembly
& reassembly was too much trouble. Someday I'll do it.

You could probably remove the cardboard covers, make whatever cover &
back you want, then bind them together by sewing under the existing
stitches. Next time you are at a big-box book store, take a look at
Keith A. Smith's "Quick Leather Bindings" or "Exposed Spine Sewings,
Non Adhesive Binding" for inspiration & how to.

I wouldn't recommend any of the mechanical bindings. Why put a spiral
binding on a moleskine?

Smokegrey

Feb 3, 2007, 1:24:12 PM2/3/07
to Moleskinerie
I would Google 'coptic binding' if I were you, for a pretty binding
with an exposed spine.

Alternatively, if you'd prefer a hard-cover type binding, with no
exposed spine, have a look at this page: http://nomediakings.org/
doityourself/doityourself_book_press.html for instructions on sewing
signatures together.

http://tobycraig.livejournal.com/29223.html for more detail on the
sewing bit, or Google 'hand binding books'.

Don't worry, sewing a book together is easier than it looks. The first
time I tried this, it took me less than 3 hours, and that was sharing
equipment. Plus, with the cahiers, the signatures are already pre-
punched, as it were.

I've just taken a look at my own cahiers, and frankly, for a quick
fix, I'd just glue the covers to each other (back of one to front of
next) and glue a nice sturdy cover around the whole set. If I wanted
it to be more secure, I'd use eyelets to reinforce the gluing, or sew
through the glued cahier covers.

Sorry if I'm not being clear enough, but I hope this gives you some
ideas. I wouldn't go with coil binding myself - too ugly. If you need
pictures, reply directly to me, and I'll see what I can scrounge
up. :)

Smokegrey

Feb 4, 2007, 11:55:24 AM2/4/07
to Moleskinerie
Ah! I found the tutorial I was looking for: http://
www.daydreamingonpaper.com/0204pg2.html

This page shows you detailed instructions on sewing together
signatures for a book.