Big mistake in my 2006 planner

1 view

Steve

Jul 24, 2006, 4:02:42 PM7/24/06
to Moleskinerie
I was going through my 2006 pocket weekly planner, scheduling some
events up ahead in September and October and discovered about three
weeks missing at the end of Sept.-Oct.

On the page spread for the week of Sept. 18, I see:

Monday 18
Tuesday 19
Wednesday 20
Thursday 19
Friday 20
Saturday21
Sunday 22

Then the next page spread starts with Monday, October 23.

It looks like the "Thursday 19" is for October. So my planner is
missing the pages that cover Thursday, Sept. 21 - Wednesday, Oct. 18.

YIKES! Is this the case with other 2006 planners, or did I just get a
lemon? Looks like I'll need to get one of those 2006-2007 planners to
finish out the year (I already have a planner for 2007).

molesk...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2006, 4:05:57 PM7/24/06
to Moleskinerie
Kindly confirm if this is the 2007 version.

Steve

Jul 24, 2006, 4:24:00 PM7/24/06
to Moleskinerie
No, this is a 2006 planner. I have a 2007 planner -- the one-year, red
version, but the mistake I've found is in the planner I'm currently
using for this year.

ick

Jul 25, 2006, 4:37:04 AM7/25/06
to Moleskinerie
> YIKES! Is this the case with other 2006 planners, or did I just get a
> lemon? Looks like I'll need to get one of those 2006-2007 planners to
> finish out the year (I already have a planner for 2007).

No just a lemon.

Mine's OK, sorry to hear about yours. And after all the talk about a
drop in quality too!

ordha

Jul 25, 2006, 6:28:41 AM7/25/06
to Moleskinerie
Hi Steve,

I have a 2006 weekly planner but mine seems complete. The four pages
which are missing in yours are in the centre of the eighth cahier (of
the nine cahiers which form the notebook). That makes it a little
difficult for a claim where you bought it because you could have torn
them yourself. You can check if there's a mistake in yours: you should
have eight pages between sept.7th and nov.1st.
If this helps, and instead of buying a whole 2006-2007 planner, I can
scan those pages (which are still free of any writing) for you and mail
them to you so you can paste them or whatever in your planner.

Steve

Jul 25, 2006, 6:41:58 AM7/25/06
to Moleskinerie
That's awfully generous, but I'll probably just rig something up myself
to cover the missing pages. It will be a little klugy, no doubt, but,
as you say, better than buying an entirely new planner. If anyone has
any creative ideas for plugging this gap, say with pages from a
pocket-sized cahier, I'm all ears.

Sumehra

Jul 25, 2006, 8:26:24 AM7/25/06
to Moleskinerie

Evan Edwards

Jul 25, 2006, 8:42:06 AM7/25/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 25 July 2006 6:28, ordha wrote:
> which are missing in yours are in the centre of the eighth cahier (of
> the nine cahiers which form the notebook).

Technically, they are called "signatures". In non-sewn books that have
pages glued in, the pages are called "leaves". Just tossing that out for the
heck of it. (If you're interested, get a book on bookbinding... every
library has a section devoted to it, as it's part of being a library. You
can learn all about octavos, tape and stitches).

> That makes it a little
> difficult for a claim where you bought it because you could have torn
> them yourself.

Not at all... it's a *very* common issue. I have bought at least a half
dozen hardcover books with a missing signature, and over a dozen volumes of
different types that are missing pages... trade paperbacks are very prone to
miss pages. Of course, I've been through a large number of books in my
lifetime. I have never *ever* had a moment of difficulty in getting a
replacement.

Of course, you might not want a replacement, depending on how filled out
your planner is... but that's your call.

--
Evan "JabberWokky" Edwards
http://www.cheshirehall.org/

ordha

Jul 25, 2006, 8:50:56 AM7/25/06
to Moleskinerie
Thanks for the vernacular about bookbinding... I'm sure I would have
known if English had been my language. In French, we call them
"cahier".
Steve, your idea of taking pages from a pocket-size cahier may be good:
if you can take the four central pages of the "signature" without
tearing them, you could try to sew them in your weekly planner where
your pages are missing.

Evan Edwards

Jul 25, 2006, 9:41:05 AM7/25/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com

As a follow up note, intentionally removing most of a signature is a good
idea if you plan on putting a bunch of extra "stuff" in the back of a
hardcover journal, especially when it is in a situation where it will be
pressed shut. I carry a Pocket Plain Moleskine in my pocket at all times; I
use it as wallet. Since the back contains a large amount of items, I remove
the final signature before use.

Evan Edwards

Jul 25, 2006, 9:56:55 AM7/25/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 25 July 2006 8:50, ordha wrote:
> Thanks for the vernacular about bookbinding... I'm sure I would have
> known if English had been my language. In French, we call them
> "cahier".

I was wondering where the term came from. Modo e Modo loves taking generic
words like moleskine and turning them into trademarked products like
Moleskine. They seem to be plundering the French language specifically.

Ah, well... many languages already have a good bit of French spice to
them. They can always use more, oui?

Does cahier have a synonym? In English, signature has several meanings,
from a handwritten name or fingerprint to musical notation to
any "characteristic feature". What are all the meanings of "cahier" in the
original language?

Daly de Gagne

Jul 25, 2006, 10:07:07 AM7/25/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Cahier is a word which, in French, means cahier.

I believe the English trans is notebook.

Ah, those French have a different word for everything! (is that originally a Monty Python line?)

Daly

Evan Edwards

Jul 25, 2006, 10:45:01 AM7/25/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 25 July 2006 10:07, Daly de Gagne wrote:
> Cahier is a word which, in French, means cahier.
>
> I believe the English trans is notebook.

Heh. Of course I meant, "what are the other meanings of 'cahier' in the
original language... and explain them in the language we happen to be using
at the moment". Or, put another way: Does the word "cahier" have multiple
meanings in French? What, stated in English, would those meanings be?

Daly de Gagne

Jul 25, 2006, 11:10:12 AM7/25/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Good questions.

I was, of course, playing the fool a little (grin)!

Daly

On 7/25/06, Evan Edwards < jabbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Discuss and learn about David Allen's Getting Things Done:

ordha

Jul 26, 2006, 4:28:57 AM7/26/06
to Moleskinerie

Evan Edwards a écrit :

> Heh. Of course I meant, "what are the other meanings of 'cahier' in the
> original language... and explain them in the language we happen to be using
> at the moment". Or, put another way: Does the word "cahier" have multiple
> meanings in French? What, stated in English, would those meanings be?

Well let's see... "Cahier" comes from the latin "quaterni" meaning
"four by four": the original codex being formed by assembled "folio"
folded in four.

In French, "cahier" describes:
- a notebook used to write, draw, etc. It must not be confused with a
"carnet" which describes the same thing but in a smaller size (usually
pocket-size).
- a part of a book called a "signature" (thanks Evan!)
- a periodical, review, journal (i.e. "Les Cahiers du Cinéma")

It is also used in expressions such as:
- "Cahier des charges": it is the exhaustive list of obligations
between two parts in a contract or of the requested specifications of
an object that is in construction (house, plane, any kind of
manufactured object...). More generally, it is a document that
specifies the way a task has to be done.
- "Cahier de doléances": these are the list of complaints written in
France in each parrish for the regions' assemblies (Etats généraux)
and reported to the central administration (the monarchy). This custom
started at the end of the Middle Ages. The most famous "Cahiers de
doléances" are those written in 1788-1789 in which you can see how the
revolution emerged in France.

Message has been deleted

Daly de Gagne

Jul 28, 2006, 8:49:34 AM7/28/06
to Molesk...@googlegroups.com
Satan, thanks for the reference.

Daly

Satan Motors wrote:
Daly de Gagne wrote:

Ah, those French have a different word for everything! (is that originally a
Monty Python line?)

No, it's a Steve Martin one. He did a routine in the 70's, after
supposedly having returned from France. On the Wild and Crazy Guy
album, he informs the audience, "Oeuf means egg. Chapeau means hat.
It's like these French have a different word for everything!"

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0630-2, 26/07/2006
Tested on: 28/07/2006 6:57:11 AM

Discuss and learn about David Allen’s Getting Things Done:

Virus Database (VPS): 0630-2, 26/07/2006
Tested on: 28/07/2006 7:49:35 AM